By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The VGC 3.0 Complaint/Suggestion Thread

Rainbird said:

How do we embed Youtube videos? I can't make it work with the old method of posting the code, edit post, done.

Chrome 5.0

Odd, I just did exactly that: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=110882&page=1&str=581700574#

Firefox 3.6

You have to wait a few seconds after you click "edit" for the code to process and the video to load.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Rainbird said:

How do we embed Youtube videos? I can't make it work with the old method of posting the code, edit post, done.

Chrome 5.0

Odd, I just did exactly that: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=110882&page=1&str=581700574#

Firefox 3.6

You have to wait a few seconds after you click "edit" for the code to process and the video to load.

It's gotta be Chrome then, nothing happens when I do it.

Rainbird said:
Kantor said:
Rainbird said:

Chrome 5.0

Firefox 3.6

ioi is giving you a subtle hint to join the Awesome Browser Club (We let Opera users in, too, but everyone ignores them and they don't get free drinks)

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Rainbird said:
Kantor said:
Rainbird said:

Chrome 5.0

Firefox 3.6

ioi is giving you a subtle hint to join the Awesome Browser Club (We let Opera users in, too, but everyone ignores them and they don't get free drinks)

I was there, then I saw the future. So now I'm in the Future Awesome Browser Club. It's pretty sweet!

what took me one or two clicks before now takes twenty.

That's not very helpfull but it is my biggest gripe right now.

Also a bit laughable those 62k members mentioned on the community... Where the hell are they? With an average of 200 members being online the last couple of months most of the time...  Maybe it should say active or even logged in members within the last year or so? Like in... clean up the database???

I always wondered where all those profiles came from or who created them...

Around the Network

Well, I got no response when I posted this question about 5 days ago, so here it is again ;) :

OK, maybe I missed something here, but HOW THE HECK do I SEARCH THE FORUMS? (for example, searching for "Mario Galaxy 2")

I read through the "How do I .." Sticky Post and this was not covered there.

I try to use the "Search GamrConnect" box at the top / right of the page, but every time I try to do that and search for something (for example: Mario Galaxy 2), it switches to the "User Search" mode and if it does show me any search results, it's just a bunch of user names and info on them -_-

So how are you supposed to search, for example, one forum (Gaming Discussion) or more than one forum at a time for an actual Search term? (Mario Galaxy, Natal, etc.)

I'm starting to think maybe you should take the whole redesign back to the drawing board.

At first I hated the new design, then it started to grow on me a little (not much), but then I tried to actually do stuff on the site, and now I'm back to thinking everything has changed for the worse.

There are some basic principles when you make a website, the most important is perhaps the long neck principle:

"Five percent of your website delivers at least 25 pecent of its value. That's your Long Neck. The Long Neck is where the business case of your websites lies. It is the small set of top tasks that your customers really come to your website for. It is the essence of your value, the essential core of your offer."

( http://www.customercarewords.com/the-long-neck.html )

An important part of this is that the first page your user/customer visits should give access to these top tasks, and less important details, information, etc should be removed, put elsewhere.

You got some parts right, you kept the most important core of VGc front and center, with the latest hardware and software tables. Good!

But then it gets worse.

On the regular VGChartz front page, you have a whole section saying this:

VGChartz is internationally recognised as the number one free online source for the latest videogame industry figures and trends. Our numbers have been cited and featured by a number of leading worldwide publications such as Reuters TV, The BBC, CNN Money, The New York Times, Fortune, Business 2.0, Forbes, The New York Post, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Times, Süddeutsche Zeitung, The Birmingham News, The Toronto Star, The Indianapolis Star, The Inquirer, NU.nl, CNet, Seeking Alpha, O’Reilly Radar, Yahoo Games and The Guinness Book of World Records.

This is a waste of space. It does not add any value to your users, most already know what your website is, and if they don't, it doesn't take long to figure it out. Information like this, which is only interesting to your customers once (the first time they visit the website, and then only if they are completely clueless about the site) should not take up a big space on your main page. Put it in the "About" section, where it belongs!

It doesn't end there: I just clicked on Super Mario Galaxy 2 in the top software charts, to get the game's page. First of all, where is all the info? All I see is sales data and release date. There is no comments section anymore (which often had good discussion on specific game sales), and there is no link to reviews, info on how to add the game to your own collection, etc. Where is it?!

Instead, we again get a whole section repeating the exact same text we saw on the front page:

VGChartz is internationally recognised as the number one free online source for the latest videogame industry figures and trends. Our numbers have been cited and featured by a number of leading worldwide publications such as Reuters TV, The BBC, CNN Money, The New York Times, Fortune, Business 2.0, Forbes, The New York Post, The Telegraph, The Guardian, The Times, Süddeutsche Zeitung, The Birmingham News, The Toronto Star, The Indianapolis Star, The Inquirer, NU.nl, CNet, Seeking Alpha, O’Reilly Radar, Yahoo Games and The Guinness Book of World Records.

To find out more about VGChartz, including how we collect data, which regions are included and accuracy margins, please visit our methodology page.

We already know this!

Why do people come to VGChartz? To get game news, get sales data, and to discuss it. The hot forum discussions list is gone, the game pages have been split up between gamrreview and vgchartz in a way that is not just complicated, it's like the sites aren't even connected! I eventually found some data on SMG2 on gamrreview (still no game discussion tho). There is no link between the gamrreview page of a game and the vgchartz page of the same game, so you have to visit two websites, and search for your game in both sites to get what you wanted!

Seriously, wtf? It's like gamrreview and vgchartz is not different sections, it's like it is two completely unrelated websites!

You are probably seeing more page views now in the initial period just because people are trying to find out where the hell stuff is, but sooner or later, we are going to get fed up and we will use the site less. You can see a lot of people here already expressing the same thing.

This redesign and split up was not done properly, there are many important oversights, and on top of that it was launched prematurely, full of bugs and problems. It's not a step in the right direction for this site.

cdude1034 said:
KylieDog said:

In fact I'm going to stop with the list of issues since they can mostly be summerised as what took me one or two clicks before now takes twenty.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but after a couple weeks, I find the overall experience much more difficult and quite the turnoff. I used to visit this site at least once a day, but now I find myself barely being able to stomach once a week.

Do you know why data aggregators are so successful? Because they take data scattered in many different places and put them in one. The site update did exactly the opposite. What used to be on the front page has now been split into 4 separate pages.

Most of all, I miss the Hot Topics section. I hate having to go to the individual forums now. Every forum has half a page of stickies, so I have to scroll down just to see a new topic.

I know this site isn't built just to please me, but from what I've seen, this isn't an uncommon complaint. Simpler is better.

I would be inclined to agree. I prefer the old style where everything I wanted to see was on the main page and easily accessible.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

How can you tell if somebody quote you or not, or is there not a feature on here yet?  It was easy with the last version with the color of the text change.

Not sure if somebody will quote me on this so i guess i'll have to come on this thread time to time.

c'mon, I still cannot post from my itouch