By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How The Pros Mock Nintendo

Wyrdness said:
disolitude said:
@SaviorX

Yeah, companies flip flop on their commercials all the time.

Sony with PS2 in 2000 (vs Dreamcast)...Our system is the all powerful god!
Sony with PS2 in 2001(vs GC, Xbox)...power doesn't matter, we got the games.

@mai
I find it funny that the nintendo ads I find are downright dissing their opponents. Sega ads were kinda funny. In those ads, Nintendo reminds me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber where Jeff Daniels gets hit with a snow ball lightly by that girl...and he gets all serious and hurls one in her face as strong as he can. LOL.

I think you're the one being a bit one sided here, Sega ads were funny but so were the Nintendo ones they only took different approaches, that with out a paddle comment is quite amusing, I suppose you're one to ignore Sega's campaign against the Playstation as well which they claimed it stood no chance of cutting edge 3d (boy they got that one wrong) and named it the Plaything, fact is they did ads geared directly at their competitors and got a response as well as being owned.

They got one thing right with the plaything ads though. Sega had a long video game history, and Sony had none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFzKraJOC2M

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
disolitude said:
@SaviorX

@mai
I find it funny that the nintendo ads I find are downright dissing their opponents. Sega ads were kinda funny. In those ads, Nintendo reminds me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber where Jeff Daniels gets hit with a snow ball lightly by that girl...and he gets all serious and hurls one in her face as strong as he can. LOL.

I think you're the one being a bit one sided here, Sega ads were funny but so were the Nintendo ones they only took different approaches, that with out a paddle comment is quite amusing, I suppose you're one to ignore Sega's campaign against the Playstation as well which they claimed it stood no chance of cutting edge 3d (boy they got that one wrong) and named it the Plaything, fact is they did ads geared directly at their competitors and got a response as well as being owned.

Yeah. Sega changed their advertising agency prior to Saturn's launch. And it showed...Saturn ads were a disaster. Those Plaything ads would have worked if they were funny...but they were just bunch of wierd imagery. You had no clue what it was you saw...

I do think that Nintendo completely missed the point of mocking their competition with those ads. It has to be snappy and quick. Those ads are 3 page essays on why Snes is better using facts and figures. Boooring...

I love how the Lynx had High Definition Supergraphics! Not just graphics, good graphics, or even High-Def graphics, but HIGH DEFINITION SUPER GRAPHICS! Hell yeah!!

XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

disolitude said:
Wyrdness said:
disolitude said:
@SaviorX

@mai

Yeah. Sega changed their advertising agency prior to Saturn's launch. And it showed...Saturn ads were a disaster. Those Plaything ads would have worked if they were funny...but they were just bunch of wierd imagery. You had no clue what it was you saw...

I do think that Nintendo completely missed the point of mocking their competition with those ads. It has to be snappy and quick. Those ads are 3 page essays on why Snes is better using facts and figures. Boooring...

Actually, those ads work because they look more like articles rather than advertisements.  When I use to actually read magazines I ignored ads and read the articles.  If the advertisement looks like an article, I'm probably going to read it.

disolitude said:
mai said:
disolitude said:
mai said:

disolitude said:

Why don't you post the contraversial print ad nintendo had in 1994 mocking 3Do and Sega CD/32X?

Or the 1993 ad making fun of the Genesis for not being able to do Mode 7 and saying nintendo has Sports games superiority

Out of curiosity could you, please, provide links?

Im looking. Seems like history deleted those. I remember 2 distinctly...They were EGM ads. 1 was making fun of Genesis for not being able to do mode 7, hence sports games look better on Snes. And the other was for donkey Kong country...making fun of Jaguar, 3Do, 32x, sega cd...naming them individually...and saying that you don't need these systems when you have the power of Snes and Donkey Kong.

Well, I can't find either. Damn history and it's double standards =)

Got one, this is it?

Yes! Thats the video ad...there is a print version too.

And I got the other :)

http://66.186.34.59/specials/adspecial4/sports.jpg

And found the final one.

http://66.186.34.59/specials/adspecial4/dkc-hype.jpg

tsk tsk Nintendo.

this is pure gold. it shows that nintendo was no diffrent than Sony back in 2006.

Nintendo before PS1 success: DISCS ARE CRAP!!!!

Nintendo after PlayStation success: making GameCube disc based system and Wii as well.

Same with motion controlls today!!!!

So everytime someone says sony are hypocrates, im just gonna show them the link

Around the Network
twesterm said:
disolitude said:
Wyrdness said:
disolitude said:
@SaviorX

@mai

Actually, those ads work because they look more like articles rather than advertisements.  When I use to actually read magazines I ignored ads and read the articles.  If the advertisement looks like an article, I'm probably going to read it.

I know what you are saying, but I'm speaking about the masses... I've been working in the online advertising industry for 6 years now. Believe me when I tell you that you are an exception here. :)

You have about 8 seconds on average to capture ones attention with an advertisement. If within 8 seconds, the user doesn't see something that captures them, the ad is wasted.

I was shocked. A clever, agreeable piece from Kotaku?

Then i saw Stephen Totilo, and i understood.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

badgenome said:
I would actually buy Cutie Kart.

The worst part is...that Cutie Kart has more appeal than Blur.

mai said:

disolitude said:

Yes! Thats the video ad...there is a print version too.

And I got the other :)

http://66.186.34.59/specials/adspecial4/sports.jpg

And found the final one.

http://66.186.34.59/specials/adspecial4/dkc-hype.jpg

tsk tsk Nintendo.

I liked "no gimmicks" remark in the second ad =)

Well, probably the reason for Nintendo downfall at the time, it began in SNES era. They backfire at the opponents with this stupidity competitors were throwing at them for quite a while, became too focused on teenagers audience and eventually loosing at this ad war. Maybe I'm wrong but do they were more diverse with their ads in late 80s? Like "You could get old if you stop playing" Game Boy ad?

Also, the Starfox commercial took a stab at the Genesis as well.

M.U.G.E.N said:
lol that Blur ad was hilarious! Reminds me of Family guy

Yeah, it was pretty funny. Which means it was nothing like Family Guy.