By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How The Pros Mock Nintendo

sauss said:
badgenome said:
I would actually buy Cutie Kart.

The worst part is...that Cutie Kart has more appeal than Blur.

Since I have no desire whatsoever to play Blur, I would have to agree.

Around the Network

some of em was well deversed, nintendo was a dick to third parties-

on the other side, it turn out great for them, and nintendo WAS WRONG. CD was the future and it helped them sell more with FF.

and the lynx i forgot about that it looks like gameboy advance took some design cues from it.
same the PSP

disolitude said:
twesterm said:
disolitude said:
Wyrdness said:
disolitude said:
@SaviorX

Yeah, companies flip flop on their commercials all the time.

Sony with PS2 in 2000 (vs Dreamcast)...Our system is the all powerful god!
Sony with PS2 in 2001(vs GC, Xbox)...power doesn't matter, we got the games.

@mai
I find it funny that the nintendo ads I find are downright dissing their opponents. Sega ads were kinda funny. In those ads, Nintendo reminds me of that scene in Dumb and Dumber where Jeff Daniels gets hit with a snow ball lightly by that girl...and he gets all serious and hurls one in her face as strong as he can. LOL.

I think you're the one being a bit one sided here, Sega ads were funny but so were the Nintendo ones they only took different approaches, that with out a paddle comment is quite amusing, I suppose you're one to ignore Sega's campaign against the Playstation as well which they claimed it stood no chance of cutting edge 3d (boy they got that one wrong) and named it the Plaything, fact is they did ads geared directly at their competitors and got a response as well as being owned.

Yeah. Sega changed their advertising agency prior to Saturn's launch. And it showed...Saturn ads were a disaster. Those Plaything ads would have worked if they were funny...but they were just bunch of wierd imagery. You had no clue what it was you saw...

I do think that Nintendo completely missed the point of mocking their competition with those ads. It has to be snappy and quick. Those ads are 3 page essays on why Snes is better using facts and figures. Boooring...

Actually, those ads work because they look more like articles rather than advertisements.  When I use to actually read magazines I ignored ads and read the articles.  If the advertisement looks like an article, I'm probably going to read it.

I know what you are saying, but I'm speaking about the masses... I've been working in the online advertising industry for 6 years now. Believe me when I tell you that you are an exception here. :)

You have about 8 seconds on average to capture ones attention with an advertisement. If within 8 seconds, the user doesn't see something that captures them, the ad is wasted.

Really?  That just seems so backwards to me.  I completely understand about the 8 seconds thing it's just my thinking that if something doesn't look like an ad I won't approach it like an ad.

nice ads

____________XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX______
_________XXXX__________________XXXX____
_______XXX________________________XXX__
_____XXX____________________________XXX__
___XXX________________________________XXX__
__XXX_________XXX________XXX___________XXX_
_XX___________XXX________XXX____________XX_
_XX___________XXX________XXX_____________XX_
_XX___________XXX________XXX_____________XX_
_XX_____XXX____________________XXX_______XX_
_XX_____XX______________________XX_______XX_
_XX______XXX__________________XXX________XX_
__XX_____XXXX________________XXXX_______XX_
___XX_______XXXX__________XXXX_________XX_
____XX_________XXXXXXXXXXXX___________XX_
_____XXX____________________________XXX__
_______XXXX______________________XXXX__
__________XXXX________________XXXX___
____________XXXXXX________XXXXX_
__________________XXXXXXXXX__

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

twesterm said:
disolitude said:

I know what you are saying, but I'm speaking about the masses... I've been working in the online advertising industry for 6 years now. Believe me when I tell you that you are an exception here. :)

You have about 8 seconds on average to capture ones attention with an advertisement. If within 8 seconds, the user doesn't see something that captures them, the ad is wasted.

Really?  That just seems so backwards to me.  I completely understand about the 8 seconds thing it's just my thinking that if something doesn't look like an ad I won't approach it like an ad.

Your thinking would work for a family brand advertising like baby food...or heart medication. Something where the consumers have the time and want to research the product.

But videogames are all about wham bam thank you maam :) Even back then.

The Nintendo Tv commercial for donkey kong was good. Show the game and how great it looks and get everyones attention...and then say "can't play it on 32x".  Winner!

Around the Network
twesterm said:

Activision is a latecomer to attempted using and abusing of Nintendo. The pioneers in this are Sega.

Oh, Sega, you tried so hard to convince the world that Nintendo was uncool.

There was this classic 1990 ad, archived at VGMastersClub:

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

A bit off topic, but I see "high definition" in there.

This is why I found the recent use of the term to be total BS. It was just the entertainment companies trying to find a way to justify that term, instead of making the actual content of movies and games better (better graphics don't make weak games better, just more expensive and time consuming, while great games kick ass  no matter the graphics anyway).

Back on topic, I have to agree with disolitude on ads. Expecting the mainstream to read and research why an entertainment product is better just doesn't fly. That's also why using specs as a selling point, whether processing power or motion control sensitivity, nowadays is still foolish.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

twesterm said:
noname2200 said:

We already know you're Stephen Totilio.  I mean c'mon, what kind of alias is "Twesterm"?  It's so obviously fake!

Says the same person with the eerily similar avatar to Khuutra!

Get your facts straight Mister: I had this avatar long before Khuutra.  I'm not Khuutra; Khuutra is me!

Er..... oh s***

pizzahut451 said:

So everytime someone says sony are hypocrates, im just gonna show them the link

People accuse Sony of being a misspelled Classical Greek philosopher?

You should probably include a link to an article about how Nintendo asked Sony to make the SNES-CD first, and how that project became the Playstation.

disolitude said:
twesterm said:
disolitude said:

Your thinking would work for a family brand advertising like baby food...or heart medication. Something where the consumers have the time and want to research the product.

The Nintendo Tv commercial for donkey kong was good. Show the game and how great it looks and get everyones attention...and then say "can't play it on 32x".  Winner!

While I agree as a general principle, wouldn't that be a bit different on a magazine about videogames? I mean, every article in there is about going more or less "in-depth" about a game or a system, so it seems like the kind of thing that would make sense, the kind of thing a reader would be more or less interest on. It also might serve as material for already existing fans to use on fanboy arguments :)

Farmageddon said:
disolitude said:
twesterm said:
disolitude said:

While I agree as a general principle, wouldn't that be a bit different on a magazine about videogames? I mean, every article in there is about going more or less "in-depth" about a game or a system, so it seems like the kind of thing that would make sense, the kind of thing a reader would be more or less interest on. It also might serve as material for already existing fans to use on fanboy arguments :)

Thats actually a solid point... So nintendo was possibly hoping to mask an ad as an advertorial or an article. Damn, they played drity :)

I think these ads are great to be honest. Make the industry more fun.

I wish there was more smaller players around in the industry which were doing crazy things like releasing add-ons for consoles no one bought (Jag CD) or pricing their games at 200 dollars per cartrige (neo geo).

We'd surely see some funny ads if Sega or Atari were still trying to sell us consoles...

Those were exciting times...

I like my Nintendo consoles, but I have to admit they did a pretty good job.

I don't see anyone mocking the DS though, so looks like it still has a good future.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash