By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Am I wrong in thinking Final Fantasy XIII sales are good?

No the game didn't not flop.

In media (all forms) a flop is when production and marketing costs greatly exceeded the revenue. Unless gamers really believe the are something else and change this definition.

Edit: I am not saying the game is a complete success, I am saying it didn't flop. 

Around the Network
dtewi said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

wat kingofwale daid wasn't manuplating info,even you don't know what happened so don't say he manuplated it.

he didn't say FF13 was bad because of 360,he said it didn't have the quality in general and didn't point to 360.if your mind doesn't go away from taking it in the wrong direction then that is your fault

even if he did mean that,just say that you don't think FF13 was bad becuase of 360 and especially don't tell people to "shut up"

You haven't been around the forums the past few days have you?

There have been enormous amounts of FF13 bashing due to the 360 and I don't think kingofwale was thinking it was bad due to SE being lazy.

And I reserve the right to tell anyone to shut up.

whatever kingofwale thinks,you should just assume things

and no you don't reserve any right on this site,only the right to shutup urself

dtewi said:
Bodhesatva said:

It's not a bonafied success or failure.

From an absolute standpoint, 5.3M+ units is very good. From a relative standpoint, it's probably going to match or exceed FFXII.

But from a relative standpoint, just matching FFXII isn't particularly good -- there was far more riding on FFXIII than there was on FFXII. It's also reasonable to assume that it is a far more expensive game to produce. It required two platforms to match FFXII's on, which is not an insignificant fact: another way to put this is that the final, major weapon SE had to increase unit sales has been used, and all it did was halt franchise decline, not reverse it. And even that may be momentary. We'll have to see. 

My analysis: FFXIII certainly made money, but did nothing to stimey the general, gradual downward trend of this franchise. We aren't talking franchise collapse here, a la Sonic -- again, this has been much more gradual.

*ignores post*

Bodhesatva!

You haven't been here in a while.

I come back from time to time. I've gone from Toys R Us employee to Database Administrator for a large corporation, so my gaming time has been reduced profoundly. I use Wii Fit and play Super Stardust on occassion, but that's about it as far as consoles go. I've hunkered back down on my PC almost exclusively now.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

It's not a bonafied success or failure.

From an absolute standpoint, 5.3M+ units is very good. From a relative standpoint, it's probably going to match or exceed FFXII. That's also good.

But from a relative standpoint, just matching FFXII isn't particularly good -- there was far more riding on FFXIII than there was on FFXII. It's also reasonable to assume that it is a far more expensive game to produce. It required two platforms to match FFXII's on, which is not an insignificant fact: another way to put this is that the final, major weapon SE had to increase unit sales has been used, and all it did was halt franchise decline, not reverse it. And even that may be momentary. We'll have to see. 

My analysis: FFXIII certainly made money, but did nothing to stimey the general, gradual downward trend of this franchise. We aren't talking franchise collapse here, a la Sonic -- again, this has been much more gradual.

thats what it was

FF13 sold well but not up to the point it was expected to and wasn't as good and ranked as expected to

If FFXIII's sales are considered a flop then what does that make Mass Effect 2's sales?

Around the Network

See, Vic_Viper, this is what gets people in to trouble.

Discussions like this imply that there is no in between: a game is either a bonafied hit or an inarguable flop. In reality, unless you're CoD, Wii Fit or NSMB, there are always positives and negatives. Different lenses with which to analyze the data.

And the same is true here. FFXIII's sales aren't fantastic: they also aren't disastrous. They're great on an absolute scale (i.e. compared to all other games), and mediocre on a relative one (i.e. compared to other games in the franchise, compared to development costs, and so forth).

What does that add up to? I dunno. I guess I'd summarize it as: "okay." But no one likes that answer, because it's so much more satisfying to say it's a hit (if you love FF) or it's a flop (if you hate FF).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

vic_viper said:
If FFXIII's sales are considered a flop then what does that make Mass Effect 2's sales?

Um why bring this up? If you brought it up to troll 360 fans, the person who is saying "it didn't flop" is a 360 fan, and to the best of my knowledge the person who said it flopped is a ps3 fan.

Also we have a thread talking about the bad sales of Mass Effect 2 somewhere, created by I believe the same person who made this thread, saying that FF13 sales are good.  

vic_viper said:

Mass effect isn't a 20 year old franchise and not big as FF

Solid_Snake4RD said:
vic_viper said:

Mass effect isn't a 20 year old franchise and not big as FF

And neither are flops.....but solid snake is right, you can't compare two different franchises the same way. 

thts whtt I was saying to expctation & dev cost it is a flop in jpn bt no1 ws listening to me,