By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Am I wrong in thinking Final Fantasy XIII sales are good?

AkibaFan said:
ppl misundertood my jpn sales of ff13 statement.

s-e is bck to square 1 with ff13 as its worst selling since ff6, do u knw hw bad tht is? they lost all gains the frnchise made over last 18 years. and re-releses still wnt get it past ff6 sales.

What you are not understanding is the fact that FFXIII was not sold for The PS1 or the PS2.

Around the Network
AkibaFan said:

s-e is bck to square 1 with ff13 as its worst selling since ff6, do u knw hw bad tht is? they lost all gains the frnchise made over last 18 years. and re-releses still wnt get it past ff6 sales.

You keep changing your statements. I also agree that FFXIII did not sell up to what it should've, I will go as far as say that, for the franchise, it sold poorly, but re releases and cheaper editions of FF games have a history of selling well in JP and you tried to say that Gigamesh was damage controlling because he brought it up.

dtewi said:
Bodhesatva said:

It's not a bonafied success or failure.

From an absolute standpoint, 5.3M+ units is very good. From a relative standpoint, it's probably going to match or exceed FFXII.

But from a relative standpoint, just matching FFXII isn't particularly good -- there was far more riding on FFXIII than there was on FFXII. It's also reasonable to assume that it is a far more expensive game to produce. It required two platforms to match FFXII's on, which is not an insignificant fact: another way to put this is that the final, major weapon SE had to increase unit sales has been used, and all it did was halt franchise decline, not reverse it. And even that may be momentary. We'll have to see. 

My analysis: FFXIII certainly made money, but did nothing to stimey the general, gradual downward trend of this franchise. We aren't talking franchise collapse here, a la Sonic -- again, this has been much more gradual.

*ignores post*

Bodhesatva!

You haven't been here in a while.

Yeah the series could be on a decline, but FF13 is the fastest selling in the franchise history and its really up to the next few months to see if the sales momentium can hold like other popular games, like Metal Gear Solid 4 or Assassin's Creed 1&2.

Personally i dont think it will sell as well as something like Assassin's Creed, but i think that it has the potential to hit 7 mil WW. and thats not bad for a game that has been recieved badly by many gaming publications in a market saturated by shooters.

i think a lot of people have to remember that FF is a Japanese game, made for a Japanese auidence and if the sales in the US and EU are about to exceed the JP sales which is the core JRPG market then Square are probabily a bit dissapointed. not to mention the sales in JP are the lowest since the old SNES days and it wasnt well recieved in JP. i think that in the core JRPG market FF13 has been dissappointing.

ElGranCabeza said:
AkibaFan said:

You keep changing your statements. I also agree that FFXIII did not sell up to what it should've, I will go as far as say that, for the franchise, it sold poorly, but re releases and cheaper editions of FF games have a history of selling well in JP and you tried to say that Gigamesh was damage controlling because he brought it up.

i'm sry i got angry, ervy1 ws picking on me for saying tht. i really wnt th game to do well & in japan its sales just havent lived up to my expctations.

@a203d

I really hope it cn get to 7 million in sales.

AkibaFan said:

ff went from 2.4 Million (FF12) to 1.8 Million (FF13)

so tht cud be seen as flopping rite? (only in japan)

It is closer to 2.3mil down to 1.9mil, or about a 20% decrease. That isn't so bad, considering the current state of consoles, especially the PS3.

With your attitude, you'd have to consider lots of games as "flops" - such as the PS3 Yakuza games in Japan, or even GTA IV's worldwide sales.

Around the Network

Decent sales for a decent game, nothing more nothing less.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Yes final fantasy 13 sales are good. Square enix has emphasized expanding in the west and this has been the fastest selling final fantasy in the west. Final Fantasy 13 sales are going to surpass Final Fantasy 12 sales and it will probably be the best selling one in the west when ps3 and 360 sales are combined. When it passes ff 12 in a week or two only ff7(the most popular one) ff10 (the last square game before the merger) and ff8 will have sold more copies. Japan sales are lower than previous iterations but Japan also isn't as big a market as it used to be 3d mario and zelda titles don't even sell as well in japan as they used to.

Riachu said:
leo-j said:
its not doing too hot in the west in my opinion, especially when a "niche" series like GOD OF WAR is doing much better than FF..

God of War is not niche.  It is a million seller blockbuster franchise.

Just because something is a million seller doesn't make it a blockbuster franchise. Just look at Game Party on the Wii lol

OT: I think FFXIII sold well.

jacks81x said:
AkibaFan said:
Acevil said:
AkibaFan said: strong>
thts whtt I was saying to expctation & dev cost it is a flop in jpn bt no1 ws listening to me,

A flop is typically judged by Revenue - Development Cost - Marketing cost, and I highly doubt that selling near to 2 million in Japan resulted in a flop. Is it the worse selling mainline Final Fantasy in Japan (maybe so), however it did not flop....

ff13 cudnt hve made bck dev & marketng costs from 1.8 million sold in jpn so we cn call it a flop there.

Who the F cares if it makes the money back just in Japan or not?  That's why the game is released WORLDWIDE.  The idea is to make a profit from the TOTAL sales, not sales from one region.

You sir are a GENIUS!

AkibaFan said:
ElGranCabeza said:
AkibaFan said:

i'm sry i got angry, ervy1 ws picking on me for saying tht. i really wnt th game to do well & in japan its sales just havent lived up to my expctations.

@a203d

I really hope it cn get to 7 million in sales.

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk either. But your FF XII comment made me want to jump through the cyber space and melt your brain with a flamethrower!