By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Call of Duty: Black Ops For Wii?

I'm sorry but, CoD is going the way of Guitar Hero. And tbh, I don't really care either way if this comes to Wii or not. I've had my fill. I saw the trailer and it looked like the same fps stuff we've been seeing since MW.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Siko1989 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Lastgengamer said:
Wii shouldn't keep getting late ports of CoD it's stating to get ridiculous at the point.

Late or not, it'll only sell a small fraction of what the HD consoles sell. HD consoles and PC are the bread and butter. No point in dividing their attention with an inferior Wii port.

the wii version has better controls and you know it lol

Despite popular opinion on VGC, motion control =/= better controls for an FPS. I played WaW on the Wii. It was damn near a disaster because there's just a lack of accuracy (I don't care what anyone says in response to this). I don't care if this game supports Move or Natal, I'd rather sit down and play with a traditional controller

I disagree, I have bot COD versions and I prefer the Wii one for controls dual sticks does not cut it any more.

Bamboleo said:
@ Your guess is as good as mine.

Which is 1 million for the average HD game to break even (ports) and like 1.5 million for exclusives (those exclusives like, exclusives, that don't have PC version to share costs).

As for the Wii I think the average game needs to sell about ~300K. I've seen developers being "happy" with 200K but that seems the very low end.

I don't understand what you're trying to prove. The typical Wii game is shovelware. Obviously shovelware doesn't need to sell much.

Also, developers don't put much money into Wii games because 3rd party games typically don't sell very well. When they do, its basically a fluke that no one really expected or an already mega popular franchise.

Ultimately, the Wii library is riddled with games from developers just trying to cash out. That's nothing to boast about.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

@Kenny so your saying that a company spends money to make a game on a system for it NOT to sell???? that logic is insane. MAYBE the Wii version is missing features cause of weaker hardware, less disc space, weaker online or maybe Most Wii fans just dont want to play COD.

@ puggsly

ok we get it. You think the wii sucks. why put so much effort and time in posting such negative things?

Why dont you go build a model or play a game or just take a walk outside?

Around the Network

@pugsly thats exactly why most 3rd party games suck on Wii, too much cashing out. I was in gamestop and I glanced a Pony game, the surprising part that it was published by Square Enix. what the $^*# is a high profile company like that even having there name on such crap??? thats some Gameboy nonsense

oniyide said:
@Kenny so your saying that a company spends money to make a game on a system for it NOT to sell???? that logic is insane. MAYBE the Wii version is missing features cause of weaker hardware, less disc space, weaker online or maybe Most Wii fans just dont want to play COD.

That's not what I'm saying at all.  You have to go back to the days leading up to the seventh generation for all this to make sense - Nintendo's position in the console wars had never been weaker, and it looked like the seventh generation was going to herald Nintendo's demise as a console maker.  Accordingly, console developers allocated all their resources into HD game development for the seventh generation.  What happened was the exact opposite of what everyone predicted, however - the Wii seized the lead.  What followed was a years-long attempt on the part of developers to rationalize their decision to ignore the Wii, and part of that was to put their best games on the PS3 and 360 while treating the Wii as a shovelware dumping ground, so as to demonstrate to their shareholders that their games would sell better on the HD consoles.  In other words, they tried to destroy demand for their games on the Wii to show that there isn't really a market for it on the Wii, and therefore vindicate their original decision.

As for the technical arguments, I call bullshit.  Nazi zombies would only have required four players, which is well within the Wii's reduced player limit.  Disc space is also a red herring, since the XBox 360's disc capacity is identical to the Wii's, and yet it got all the content.  Weaker hardware cannot be blamed for the lower multiplayer limit either, as we've had 16 player online games all the way back in the last generation (eg SOCOM 2, Halo 2).  There is also no good technical justification for removing almost all the multiplayer modes that the PS3 and 360 had.  Your final argument, that Wii fans just don't want to play CoD, is refuted by Call of Duty 3, which sold better on the Wii than the PS3.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Mr Puggsly said:
Bamboleo said:
@ Your guess is as good as mine.

Which is 1 million for the average HD game to break even (ports) and like 1.5 million for exclusives (those exclusives like, exclusives, that don't have PC version to share costs).

As for the Wii I think the average game needs to sell about ~300K. I've seen developers being "happy" with 200K but that seems the very low end.

I don't understand what you're trying to prove. The typical Wii game is shovelware. Obviously shovelware doesn't need to sell much.

Also, developers don't put much money into Wii games because 3rd party games typically don't sell very well. When they do, its basically a fluke that no one really expected or an already mega popular franchise.

Ultimately, the Wii library is riddled with games from developers just trying to cash out. That's nothing to boast about.

LOL, and I don't know what you are trying to disprove... I think we pretty much agree in what each other is saying.

And claiming that the typical Wii game is shovelware is trolling. It's the same as saying that the typical 360 lasts for a couple days before rroding, which isn't true.

I'll give the opportunity to edit that out before reporting you.

@ kenny dont tell me about 7th gen I had a GC. Everything you said in your first paragraph is correct, but your looking for conspiracy that isnt there, if Activison want Wii gamers to ignore their CODs it would be alot easier to just not make the damn games for Wii in the first place, why waste the time and money???? that makes no sense. as for COD 3 do you know how abysmal sales were for PS3 in those days??? you forgot that the Wii version did nt outsell 360's so my original point stays, FPSs just have a bigger audience on HD consoles and PC. as for your other points, yeah that is messed up but you also have to consider that Wii's online interface is waaaayyyyy behind the others, im speaking as a Wii owner it doesnt even come close. so I guess devs are reluctant to tackle that???? im not sure

oniyide said:
@ kenny dont tell me about 7th gen I had a GC. Everything you said in your first paragraph is correct, but your looking for conspiracy that isnt there, if Activison want Wii gamers to ignore their CODs it would be alot easier to just not make the damn games for Wii in the first place, why waste the time and money???? that makes no sense. as for COD 3 do you know how abysmal sales were for PS3 in those days??? you forgot that the Wii version did nt outsell 360's so my original point stays, FPSs just have a bigger audience on HD consoles and PC. as for your other points, yeah that is messed up but you also have to consider that Wii's online interface is waaaayyyyy behind the others, im speaking as a Wii owner it doesnt even come close. so I guess devs are reluctant to tackle that???? im not sure

Because, as I indicated earlier, Activision is a publicly traded company, and it has shareholders to answer to.  To shut out half the market with your efforts is more than likely to cause the shareholders to revolt, so efforts had to be taken to placate them.  In that sense, the demand destruction efforts weren't wasted at all.  Yes, the 360 version sold better than the Wii version, but does that justify making the Wii version's future incarnations noticeably worse/later than its counterpart on a system where it sold even worse?

I think you'll agree with me when I say that not all is as it seems in the console wars.  We can speculate on this until the cows come home, and then speculate with them some more.  In the end, though, if you consider the need to placate shareholders, it explains their actions quite simply.  If you have a better alternate explanation, of course...

Also, World at War's online interface uses a master server to list ongoing games - in other words, no friend codes.  I know because I have the game.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition