By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Nintendo Could 'Win' E3: An IGN Conversation

radiantshadow92 said:

You are right, they did have a great E3. But in their eyes, they still see the vitality sensor and the "waggle" games that do not work for them. Nintendo could make them see that they deserve to "win" E3, but like i said, they won't. And really, it does not matter. They are in the money.

And that's relevant because? I'm starting to think that this "Winning" thing is like a cardbox medal gived by the fan club from the neighborhood. Has no real value, it only gives you moral push for a day and nobody is going to recognize it in the real life.

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
RolStoppable said:
Nintendo can't really win, because IGN's definition of winning over the longterm gamers refers to people who despise Nintendo.

I might as well write about how Sony and Microsoft can win this E3 going by my definition. The truth that they simply can't win at all would be hidden beneath a huge pile of evermoving goalposts and after E3 I would declare Sony and Microsoft as the losers, just like every year before.

You know that is not true. Nintendo could win in IGN's eyes, it is really not all that hard. But they won't.

Why should they? IGN, and more or less all the gaming media, don't speak for the mainstream. They think GTA IV is about an immersive world, not having fun causing mayhem.

In short, they don't even know why games they like actually sell, so how can they know why Nintendo is making a comeback?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

" But I wonder if PlayStation Move and Natal are coming too late. I think -- at least in the console landscape -- that Nintendo is synonymous with motion controls. Any efforts at this point will likely be perceived by the mainstream as a rip-off"

Whoever said this, might be 1 in a million at IGN offices.

Same story for the last 4 years!! NINTENDO DIDNT WIN BLA BLA BLA, And guess what, they're laughing all the way to the bank!

Okay here's how I think Nintendo can win E3. First they need to show less games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and hopefully if they do show Wii Music + or 2 or something for the vitality sensor, they won't really make a huge deal of it like the way they closed E3 '08 with Wii Music when after Microsoft's FF presentation at the end of their conference everybody expected Nintendo to show off the new Zelda, Kid Icarus (maybe), or Kingdom Hearts 3 at the end of their conference instead of Wii Music.

Secondly with New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Galaxy 2 having been released so recently they shouldn't show off much of any new Mario content for Wii. If they are going to show off Mario Tennis or Mario Party, they need to just show them quickly and not dwell on them. If there is a big Mario core title announced it should be a 3DS game.

I thought one of the editors above was really off base. The second half of MS's conference when they talked about facebook, last fm, and natal -- the casual half of their presentation -- really dragged for me. And that made Nintendo's presentation last year much more exciting especially when they were talking about their core games like Galaxy 2, Other M, and Reggie was discussing upcoming jrpgs for Wii and DS.

I think Nintendo can take advantage of that again this year. While MS will want to show their casual offerings on Natal, I think Nintendo can show off their core titles like Epic Mickey, upcoming jrpg exclusives for the system like Xenoblade and The Last Story and hype more including the Studio Ghibli / Level 5 game for DS and maybe FFV or FFVI 3D remake for 3DS; Zelda Wii, and hopefully another new core game like they did Other M last year. Maybe Icarus since it seems to get the most hype.

If they do all that then I think they will be right up at the top again this year.

On a personal note, I would really like to see an Earthbound collection, a new game in the Earthbound series, and maybe a Skies of Arcadia remake and / or sequel from Sega for Wii. And maybe a new Fullmetal Alchemist game from Square as well.

Around the Network

/IGNWTS butthurts

LordTheNightKnight said:
radiantshadow92 said:
RolStoppable said:
Nintendo can't really win, because IGN's definition of winning over the longterm gamers refers to people who despise Nintendo.

I might as well write about how Sony and Microsoft can win this E3 going by my definition. The truth that they simply can't win at all would be hidden beneath a huge pile of evermoving goalposts and after E3 I would declare Sony and Microsoft as the losers, just like every year before.

You know that is not true. Nintendo could win in IGN's eyes, it is really not all that hard. But they won't.

Why should they? IGN, and more or less all the gaming media, don't speak for the mainstream. They think GTA IV is about an immersive world, not having fun causing mayhem.

In short, they don't even know why games they like actually sell, so how can they know why Nintendo is making a comeback?

You act like the editors at IGN are idiots. They know why the WII sells and they know why its made a comeback. And like it or not, its thier opinion of the games, if they think GTAIV is about an immersive world (they also think its about mayhem btw) than there is nothing you can do because its their opinion. About nintendo, why should they? I don't know, but the point is that they can if they wanted to. But they won't (most likely).

The day has nearly arrived; once Greg Miller leaves, I will officially not recognize a single editor at IGN!

alfredofroylan said:
radiantshadow92 said:

You are right, they did have a great E3. But in their eyes, they still see the vitality sensor and the "waggle" games that do not work for them. Nintendo could make them see that they deserve to "win" E3, but like i said, they won't. And really, it does not matter. They are in the money.

And that's relevant because? I'm starting to think that this "Winning" thing is like a cardbox medal gived by the fan club from the neighborhood. Has no real value, it only gives you moral push for a day and nobody is going to recognize it in the real life.

Its relevant because i was explaining to Rol how Nintendo could "win" E3 in IGN's eyes if they wanted to. And it does not have any real value. But that is not the point.

Hardcore gamers are so selfish. They actually think E3 is all about them! It's not a "consumer" show, it's a "trade" show. That means those presentations are made for people WITHIN THE TRADE.

In this sense, last e3 was certainly a success in that it excited retailers with the announcements of New Super Mario Bros and Wii Fit Plus for the holidays. Those might not be the titles the snobby, elitist IGN editors want, but the retailers knew it meant big money for them as these are huge mainstream titles.

This year, the real victories at E3 are going to be 3DS and Vitality Sensor. As much as IGN hates it, VS has the potential to be a new Wii Fit, especially if it focuses on helping people sleep. Think of the demand there is for sleep and relaxation aids. People buy medicines, take meditation classes, and upgrade mattresses all in the name of getting a better sleep. VS is tapping right into that demand in the same way Wii Fit tapped into the demand for home exercise equipment.

3DS is going to shock people when they realize "3D" visuals was not the actual focus of the console. In fact, people will forget the 3D aspect entirely as the real "hook" of the console is announced. Do you really think Nintendo is basing their next handheld console on 3d visuals when Iwata has said over and over that this alone can not justify the launch a new device? Personally, I think the 3DS is going to be more about 3d CONTROL than it will be about 3d VISUALS.

Of course, Zelda will probably be the announcement that IGN orgasms over. Other than this, I imagine they will declare e3 a failure only to be proven wrong when all the titles they hated sell tens of millions through the holidays.