By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Nintendo Could 'Win' E3: An IGN Conversation

radiantshadow92 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
radiantshadow92 said:
RolStoppable said:
Nintendo can't really win, because IGN's definition of winning over the longterm gamers refers to people who despise Nintendo.

I might as well write about how Sony and Microsoft can win this E3 going by my definition. The truth that they simply can't win at all would be hidden beneath a huge pile of evermoving goalposts and after E3 I would declare Sony and Microsoft as the losers, just like every year before.

You know that is not true. Nintendo could win in IGN's eyes, it is really not all that hard. But they won't.

Why should they? IGN, and more or less all the gaming media, don't speak for the mainstream. They think GTA IV is about an immersive world, not having fun causing mayhem.

In short, they don't even know why games they like actually sell, so how can they know why Nintendo is making a comeback?

You act like the editors at IGN are idiots. They know why the WII sells and they know why its made a comeback. And like it or not, its thier opinion of the games, if they think GTAIV is about an immersive world (they also think its about mayhem btw) than there is nothing you can do because its their opinion. About nintendo, why should they? I don't know, but the point is that they can if they wanted to. But they won't (most likely).

No, they don't know why the Wii sells. If they knew, they would also know why games like Madworld didn't tear up the charts and why Just Dance is.

As for GTA IV, I wrote the wrong point. I meant they think the immersive world is why it sold so well, which is a problem. One is an honest opinion, the other is thinking an opinion is shared more widely than it is.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
mortono said:
Hardcore gamers are so selfish. They actually think E3 is all about them! It's not a "consumer" show, it's a "trade" show. That means those presentations are made for people WITHIN THE TRADE.

In this sense, last e3 was certainly a success in that it excited retailers with the announcements of New Super Mario Bros and Wii Fit Plus for the holidays. Those might not be the titles the snobby, elitist IGN editors want, but the retailers knew it meant big money for them as these are huge mainstream titles.

This year, the real victories at E3 are going to be 3DS and Vitality Sensor. As much as IGN hates it, VS has the potential to be a new Wii Fit, especially if it focuses on helping people sleep. Think of the demand there is for sleep and relaxation aids. People buy medicines, take meditation classes, and upgrade mattresses all in the name of getting a better sleep. VS is tapping right into that demand in the same way Wii Fit tapped into the demand for home exercise equipment.

3DS is going to shock people when they realize "3D" visuals was not the actual focus of the console. In fact, people will forget the 3D aspect entirely as the real "hook" of the console is announced. Do you really think Nintendo is basing their next handheld console on 3d visuals when Iwata has said over and over that this alone can not justify the launch a new device? Personally, I think the 3DS is going to be more about 3d CONTROL than it will be about 3d VISUALS.

Of course, Zelda will probably be the announcement that IGN orgasms over. Other than this, I imagine they will declare e3 a failure only to be proven wrong when all the titles they hated sell tens of millions through the holidays.

And find some way to ignore that they were wrong.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
radiantshadow92 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
radiantshadow92 said:
RolStoppable said:
Nintendo can't really win, because IGN's definition of winning over the longterm gamers refers to people who despise Nintendo.

I might as well write about how Sony and Microsoft can win this E3 going by my definition. The truth that they simply can't win at all would be hidden beneath a huge pile of evermoving goalposts and after E3 I would declare Sony and Microsoft as the losers, just like every year before.

You know that is not true. Nintendo could win in IGN's eyes, it is really not all that hard. But they won't.

Why should they? IGN, and more or less all the gaming media, don't speak for the mainstream. They think GTA IV is about an immersive world, not having fun causing mayhem.

In short, they don't even know why games they like actually sell, so how can they know why Nintendo is making a comeback?

You act like the editors at IGN are idiots. They know why the WII sells and they know why its made a comeback. And like it or not, its thier opinion of the games, if they think GTAIV is about an immersive world (they also think its about mayhem btw) than there is nothing you can do because its their opinion. About nintendo, why should they? I don't know, but the point is that they can if they wanted to. But they won't (most likely).

No, they don't know why the Wii sells. If they knew, they would also know why games like Madworld didn't tear up the charts and why Just Dance is.

As for GTA IV, I wrote the wrong point. I meant they think the immersive world is why it sold so well, which is a problem. One is an honest opinion, the other is thinking an opinion is shared more widely than it is.

umm they do know madworld doesn't tear up the charts and why just dance does. They are not blind Jeeez. 

When did they ever say it sold well because of the immersive world? It feels like you think these people are retarted or something. Dude, wake up. They are gamers just like us. Who give their opinion to the public and publish the gaming news. 

LordTheNightKnight said:
mortono said:
Hardcore gamers are so selfish. They actually think E3 is all about them! It's not a "consumer" show, it's a "trade" show. That means those presentations are made for people WITHIN THE TRADE.

In this sense, last e3 was certainly a success in that it excited retailers with the announcements of New Super Mario Bros and Wii Fit Plus for the holidays. Those might not be the titles the snobby, elitist IGN editors want, but the retailers knew it meant big money for them as these are huge mainstream titles.

This year, the real victories at E3 are going to be 3DS and Vitality Sensor. As much as IGN hates it, VS has the potential to be a new Wii Fit, especially if it focuses on helping people sleep. Think of the demand there is for sleep and relaxation aids. People buy medicines, take meditation classes, and upgrade mattresses all in the name of getting a better sleep. VS is tapping right into that demand in the same way Wii Fit tapped into the demand for home exercise equipment.

3DS is going to shock people when they realize "3D" visuals was not the actual focus of the console. In fact, people will forget the 3D aspect entirely as the real "hook" of the console is announced. Do you really think Nintendo is basing their next handheld console on 3d visuals when Iwata has said over and over that this alone can not justify the launch a new device? Personally, I think the 3DS is going to be more about 3d CONTROL than it will be about 3d VISUALS.

Of course, Zelda will probably be the announcement that IGN orgasms over. Other than this, I imagine they will declare e3 a failure only to be proven wrong when all the titles they hated sell tens of millions through the holidays.

NO, they admit that the games sell well. I have a huge feeling you do not know anything about the editors at IGN. Listen to their podcasts, they know that the wii sells like hotcakes. But just because it does, it does not mean that they should think the WII has quality games. 

radiantshadow92 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
mortono said:

NO, they admit that the games sell well. I have a huge feeling you do not know anything about the editors at IGN. Listen to their podcasts, they know that the wii sells like hotcakes. But just because it does, it does not mean that they should think the WII has quality games. 

IGN always sidesteps the fact that Nintendo is offering products that PEOPLE WANT. They admit the high sales, but always try to blame it on something else or simply try to ignore it. I remember the "Nintendo is Lazy" article feeling like a reaction to the high sales of New Super Mario Bros. Matt just couldn't get why on earth that game was selling like it was, so he decided to write an article telling us why we were all stupid for buying the game and that we should've saved our money for SMG2.

He completely missed the point that PEOPLE WANT 2D MARIO AND NOT 3D MARIO. Watch, now, as SMG2 sells half of what New Super Mario Bros did and IGN has another titanic meltdown.

Around the Network

well they have zelda.
but i am not excited anymore.

actually this year they really do have a great chance with SMG2, Zelda, Metriod, and the vitality sensor.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

noname2200 said:
The day has nearly arrived; once Greg Miller leaves, I will officially not recognize a single editor at IGN!

I'm already there!

...Should I remember Greg Miller?

It's hard to believe, but the 2010 Electronic Entertainment Expo is just a few weeks away. E3 is where the big three pull out all the punches.

English is not my first language but didn't they mash-up two expressions making one that doesn't make sense at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but "I won't pull any punches" means "I won't hold back anything" and "pulling out all the stops" means "Doing everything you can to impress".

Going with that the big three pulling out all the punches kinda means they will all hold back on each other.

Signature goes here!

haha i remember when people keep saying they want more mario before E3 last year.. they got what they wanted last E3 and what does the fans and critics say? "there was to much mario"