By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Nintendo Could 'Win' E3: An IGN Conversation

.jayderyu said:
And once again IGN aims as winning = popular. Which is fine if that's the standard you aiming for. Though I think Sony will "win" as popularity contest this year.

I do however think that Nintendo will be the least popular, but manage to target everything right that they will once again be the most profitable company for the next fiscal year. Using E3 as a spring board. Remember business isn't about flash it's about strategy. If your selling just flash it's only good for a few early sales.

I would not say that , i think that 3DS will be the big thing this E3, Natal will be a runner-up... cuz you see its glass free 3D in a portable game device and this is something no one has ever saw before , and natal well its gonna be good but we all ready saw last year and also its a eye toy 2.0 without any buttons.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Around the Network

well who "wins" e3 is all up to personal preference, and to me nintendo will never win an e3, the one day of e3 coverage I always miss due to sheer boredom.

hollywood85 said:

well who "wins" e3 is all up to personal preference, and to me nintendo will never win an e3, the one day of e3 coverage I always miss due to sheer boredom.

Not really. It's generally based on a consensus of hype, which of course is based on the nebulous and quite clearly biased media, but it ends up being like politics, sometimes your favored candidate puts forward good, solid ideas, but the winds of public opinion shift the other way (like when Walter Mondale had actual statistical plans for dealing with the budget deficit, but Reagan just brushed them aside, and the way public opinion worked was such that it reflected well on Reagan and poorly on Mondale)

The point being, there is usually a fairly clear winner, except in years when all three are relatively weak (2007 is the only one i can think of here). For the past decade, for instance, 2000 was really Sony's, 01 Nintendo's, 02 & 03 Sony's again, 04 Nintendo, 05 Microsoft, 06 Nintendo, 07 indeterminate, 08 Microsoft, 09 Microsoft.

This may not reflect who actually had the best lineup, but who came away with the hype. E3 can certainly be won, the question is whether that's a contest worth winning. I mean, Natal "won" E3 last year in terms of coming away with by far the most hype, but Natal's long-term success or failure is going to be determined by many different things, and certainly not the hype it had in June 2009

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Just give me:

The Legend of Zelda Wii trailer.
Pikmin 3 info
Kid Ikarus info
Retro game
No more hardware, please.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Mr Khan said:
hollywood85 said:

Not really. It's generally based on a consensus of hype, which of course is based on the nebulous and quite clearly biased media, but it ends up being like politics, sometimes your favored candidate puts forward good, solid ideas, but the winds of public opinion shift the other way (like when Walter Mondale had actual statistical plans for dealing with the budget deficit, but Reagan just brushed them aside, and the way public opinion worked was such that it reflected well on Reagan and poorly on Mondale)

The point being, there is usually a fairly clear winner, except in years when all three are relatively weak (2007 is the only one i can think of here). For the past decade, for instance, 2000 was really Sony's, 01 Nintendo's, 02 & 03 Sony's again, 04 Nintendo, 05 Microsoft, 06 Nintendo, 07 indeterminate, 08 Microsoft, 09 Microsoft.

This may not reflect who actually had the best lineup, but who came away with the hype. E3 can certainly be won, the question is whether that's a contest worth winning. I mean, Natal "won" E3 last year in terms of coming away with by far the most hype, but Natal's long-term success or failure is going to be determined by many different things, and certainly not the hype it had in June 2009

it did??? I mean from M$ side I would look at mgs rising as a bigger announcement than natal..... dude all the showed was a bullshit staged tech demo (milo) which was freaking creepy, the catch the balls with your face game, and learn to paint like a 2 year old....... people really liked that??M$ e3 was a total tank for me, compared to Sony who showed actual games. and nintendo...... yeah do you remeber anything outside that pointless add on (vitality sensor), because me nor did the rest of the industry can't.

I have to first be intersed in anything nintendo first and mairo, zelda, and metriod just aint doing it. I mean compared to the stuff I've seen from next gen consoles, I like to have fun sure, but having your mind blown at the same time is always welcome.

p.s. Sony so took E3 08 and 09 to every single major gaming hub in the industry.....

Around the Network
hollywood85 said:
Mr Khan said:
hollywood85 said:

it did??? I mean from M$ side I would look at mgs rising as a bigger announcement than natal..... dude all the showed was a bullshit staged tech demo (milo) which was freaking creepy, the catch the balls with your face game, and learn to paint like a 2 year old....... people really liked that??M$ e3 was a total tank for me, compared to Sony who showed actual games. and nintendo...... yeah do you remeber anything outside that pointless add on (vitality sensor), because me nor did the rest of the industry can't.

I have to first be intersed in anything nintendo first and mairo, zelda, and metriod just aint doing it. I mean compared to the stuff I've seen from next gen consoles, I like to have fun sure, but having your mind blown at the same time is always welcome.

p.s. Sony so took E3 08 and 09 to every single major gaming hub in the industry.....

For you, yes. Natal caught the popular imagination. Rising was big, but not that big since it's just a spinoff (and especially once the confusion about it being a 360 exclusive was cleared up). Sony certainly showed games, but that's the funny thing about E3. Final Fantasy XIII 360 was the "zomg" moment of E3 08, and clinched it for them. That's what you need, all you need, one OMG moment can win in spite of a whole catalogue of great games, much like how Miyamoto's Zelda appearance in 2004 won it for Nintendo, even though they really had a lacklustre lineup otherwise (moreso since Zelda slid all the way back to 2006)

And you neither watched Nintendo's E3, nor have even looked at an upcoming releases list since June 2009 if you think Vitality Sensor was all they had

I stopped going to IGN when they began behaving like pretentious 1337/hardcore nerds.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Mr Khan said:
hollywood85 said:

But it is subjective becuase you can not quantifiable measure "hype." So, you can't measure it to say who won.

I say who win, if we care about "winning," is the one that shows the software which will make the sales. If the company makes games that will get a lot of people, then they truely win.

Smashchu2 said:
Mr Khan said:
hollywood85 said:

But it is subjective becuase you can not quantifiable measure "hype." So, you can't measure it to say who won.

I say who win, if we care about "winning," is the one that shows the software which will make the sales. If the company makes games that will get a lot of people, then they truely win.

Hype can be quantified to a certain degree, interest itself is hard to guage of course but you can look at web traffic to certain stories, reaction to certain events, how searches for those terms went on Google or Yahoo or wherever

My point was that it is winnable, but its a hollow victory in terms of business relevance.

Smashchu2 said:

The OMGometer I invented proves otherwise; it can detect hype between 0.2-11 megatons and is accurate within 200 kilotons or 0.8368 petanerdgasms.