By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No More Heroes on HD consoles has pretty good first week in Japan

routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

PS2 memory cards were only like 8MB. You can't keep much DLC or updates in that.

While the PS2 Slims had networking built in, the masses already owned a PS2 fat with no networking built in. To the contrary, every Wii has networking hardware built in.

Ultimately, the Wii was designed for online gaming on day one. The PS2 wasn't. Therefore the Wii is "better suited" for online gaming. That has a lot to do with why Monster Hunter performed better on the Wii.

Spin, spin, spin.

And ofcourse... broadband internet is more common in households now than it was in 2004.

But hey, none of this is relevant at all. Nope, 2004 and 2009/2010 didn't have different circumstances at all.

Why can't you just accept the fact that gamers will go to whatever platform their favorite game goes, and that Wii can sell core games perfectly fine?

Hmmm... what the hell are you talking about?

I'm explaining why the Wii has an advantage for online gaming over the PS2. Hence, why Monster Hunter is better suited for the Wii compared to the PS2 and why it has performed better on the Wii.

I do however disagree with one thing you said. The Wii typically doesn't do a great job selling core games. But that's not relevant with the discussion I'm having now.

This whole argument started when jarrod simply implied that such core games actually sell on the system. Then, you tried to downplay it on the lack of PS2 online.

That's a highly simplistic view on things, I thought Jarrod's point was that sometimes things can change that make an old port do better than the original.  Such as Monster Hunter becoming a huge series on the PSP between the PS2 and Wii version of that game, or NMH getting more brand recognition since it was first introduced.

Puggsly put out a legitimate theory on why the Wii version may have done better than the PS2 and you decided to add nothing to the conversation.  Dissapointing.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

PS2 memory cards were only like 8MB. You can't keep much DLC or updates in that.

While the PS2 Slims had networking built in, the masses already owned a PS2 fat with no networking built in. To the contrary, every Wii has networking hardware built in.

Ultimately, the Wii was designed for online gaming on day one. The PS2 wasn't. Therefore the Wii is "better suited" for online gaming. That has a lot to do with why Monster Hunter performed better on the Wii.

Spin, spin, spin.

And ofcourse... broadband internet is more common in households now than it was in 2004.

But hey, none of this is relevant at all. Nope, 2004 and 2009/2010 didn't have different circumstances at all.

Why can't you just accept the fact that gamers will go to whatever platform their favorite game goes, and that Wii can sell core games perfectly fine?

I'm explaining why the Wii has an advantage for online gaming over the PS2. Hence, why Monster Hunter is better suited for the Wii compared to the PS2 and why it has performed better on the Wii.

I do however disagree with one thing you said. The Wii typically doesn't do a great job selling core games. But that's not relevant with the discussion I'm having now.

This whole argument started when jarrod simply implied that such core games actually sell on the system. Then, you tried to downplay it on the lack of PS2 online.

That's a highly simplistic view on things, I thought Jarrod's point was that sometimes things can change that make an old port do better than the original.  Such as Monster Hunter becoming a huge series on the PSP between the PS2 and Wii version of that game, or NMH getting more brand recognition since it was first introduced.

Puggsly put out a legitimate theory on why the Wii version may have done better than the PS2 and you decided to add nothing to the conversation.  Dissapointing.

I don't think Puggsly's theory is actually true. I think the series' severe growth in popularity is more to "blame" for the great rise in sales from the PS2 to the Wii version. But I didn't even want to critique Puggsly on that. I wanted to quote Puggsly's view in general, not that specific topic. 

Jarrod counter-attacked * poster's name here - too lazy * post by implying that the Wii magically made MHG's sales skyrocket. I disagree with that too, as I elaborated above. It's just that he put out the "see, Wii can sell core games too" card, which Puggsly tried to dismiss by saying that it's not the system's ability to sell software that gave it the push, rather it's online abilities.

That's how I interpreted the post, anyway. I am really tired ATM though, so I could be mistaken if his motives were not what I thought. I apologise and retract my thoughts if so.

ClaudeLv250 said:
If your skin is so deeply infused with irrational bias that a Wiimote burns your hands like acid upon touch...

Nice one!

I wouldn't call this "pretty good" in the first place. However, it obviously did sell more than the Wii versio but not by that much so it's not something to brag about.

Torillian said:

Bingo.  While I do think some consoles have more receptive specific audiences to certain brands or genres generally (ie: Gundam games on PSP/PS3, rhythm games on DS/Wii, etc), it's asinine to look at a singular case (in this case NMH or MHG), irrationally discount any real context surronding the release and trying to claim any greater trend based off that.  It's questionable, it's disingenuous and really, it's just fundamentally unsound logically.

There's multiple factors contributing to NMH on PS3 or 360 barely outselling the 2 year old Wii release 1st week (lower pricepoints, larger PS3 installed base, uncensored on 360, greater brand awareness and promotion), just as there's multiple factors contributing to the Wii port of Monster Hunter G barely outselling the 4 year old PS2 original (MH3 demo, lower pricepoint, greater brand awareness and promotion, CC bundle).

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Spin, spin, spin.

This is a bit of a side tangent at this point, but the fact remains that Wii is not inherently better suited to online games like Monster Hunter than PS2 was when MHG released in 2005.  Monster Hunter doesn't require mass storage (and doesn't even use SD card saving on Wii, hell you can even transfer character data to the measly 6KB in the Wiimote with room to spare) and by the time MHG released, every new PS2 sold came with a BBA.  Online capability literally has NOTHING to do with why MHG Wii outsold the PS2 original.

As to your second point, the franchise we're already talking about (Monster Hunter) pretty much shatters your "opinion" there.  AAA core games, if handled well, can do phenomenally on Wii.  And to be blunt, MH is about as "hardcore" as they come on consoles...

jarrod said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Spin, spin, spin.

This is a bit of a side tangent at this point, but the fact remains that Wii is not inherently better suited to online games like Monster Hunter than PS2 was when MHG released in 2005.  Monster Hunter doesn't require mass storage (and doesn't even use SD card saving on Wii, hell you can even transfer character data to the measly 6KB in the Wiimote with room to spare) and by the time MHG released, every new PS2 sold came with a BBA.  Online capability literally has NOTHING to do with why MHG Wii outsold the PS2 original.

As to your second point, the franchise we're already talking about (Monster Hunter) pretty much shatters your "opinion" there.  AAA core games, if handled well, can do phenomenally on Wii.  And to be blunt, MH is about as "hardcore" as they come on consoles...

1. EVERY Wii has networking hardware. Hence, EVERYBODY with a Wii has a console ready to go online. Every PSP can also go online. That's not the same case with the PS2. A majority of PS2 consoles sold are fat and have no network hardware. We can also assume most core gamers bought the fat PS2, not the slim.

2. Online gaming is more prominent on consoles now than it was in 2005.

3. MHG was just a slightly updated version of the original MH, it wasn't really a new game. The Wii only had MHG, so it didin't split sales with the original MH.

All of this is relevant for why MHG performed better on the Wii than the PS2.

I said the Wii TYPICALLY doesn't do a great job selling core games. The keyword being typically. Also, is it any surprise a MH game sold well on the Wii? Its already a mega popular franchise. It has also seen much better sales on the PSP.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
jarrod said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Spin, spin, spin.

1. EVERY Wii has networking hardware. Hence, EVERYBODY with a Wii has a console ready to go online. Every PSP can also go online. That's not the same case with the PS2. A majority of PS2 consoles sold are fat and have no network hardware. We can also assume most core gamers bought the fat PS2, not the slim.

3. MHG was just a slightly updated version of the original MH, it wasn't really a new game. The Wii only had MHG, so it didin't split sales with the original MH.

I said the Wii TYPICALLY doesn't do a great job selling core games. The keyword being typically. Also, is it any surprise a MH game sold well on the Wii? Its already a mega popular franchise. It has also seen much better sales on the PSP.

1. Actually no, EVERY PS2 is also capable of going online.  Granted some required a BBA purchase, but then MHG Wii also doesn't doesn't even work without buying that extra controller (while the Dualshock came with each PS2).

2. On Wii though?  Honestly, I'm not that sure... besides, online is just half the MH formula.

3. Upgraded reissues tend to encourage repeat purchases among hardcore fanbases, not discourage them.  You really think games like Pokemon Platinum or Super Street Fighter IV are sold to chiefly brand new users?  

None of this is at all relevant as to why MHG sold well on Wii.  It sold mainly due to the bundled Tri demo and general franchise outgrowth. Not because of Wii's bustling online community.  Hell, G/3 Wii even use Capcom's old proprietary PS2 online system, it's the same exact subscription based Hunter License on each.

As for "core games" selling (or not) on Wii, there's plenty of other examples to the contrary, including quite a few from just Capcom alone (RE4, UC/DSC, TvC, MegaMan 9/10).  MoHun 3 breaking records though (it's the best selling subscription based online game in HISTORY in Japan, only ANY platform) just further cements that.  

TYPICALLY, Wii may not compare to PS360 directly when it comes to selling core games, but that doesn't mean the platform's inherently incapable of it.  And honestly, that more a reflection of Wii not TYPICALLY receiving core games with high sales potential or promotion compared to PS360.  MH3 is something of an exception to the rule in both cases, and that alone proves it can be done if the brand/support is there.

jarrod said:
Mr Puggsly said:
jarrod said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:
routsounmanman said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Spin, spin, spin.

1. Actually no, EVERY PS2 is also capable of going online.  Granted some required a BBA purchase, but then MHG Wii also doesn't doesn't even work without buying that extra controller (while the Dualshock came with each PS2).

2. On Wii though?  Honestly, I'm not that sure... besides, online is just half the MH formula.

3. Upgraded reissues tend to encourage repeat purchases among hardcore fanbases, not discourage them.  You really think games like Pokemon Platinum or Super Street Fighter IV are sold to chiefly brand new users?  

None of this is at all relevant as to why MHG sold well on Wii.  It sold mainly due to the bundled Tri demo and general franchise outgrowth. Not because of Wii's bustling online community.  Hell, G/3 Wii even use Capcom's old proprietary PS2 online system, it's the same exact subscription based Hunter License on each.

As for "core games" selling (or not) on Wii, there's plenty of other examples to the contrary, including quite a few from just Capcom alone (RE4, UC/DSC, TvC, MegaMan 9/10).  MoHun 3 breaking records though (it's the best selling subscription based online game in HISTORY in Japan, only ANY platform) just further cements that.  

TYPICALLY, Wii may not compare to PS360 directly when it comes to selling core games, but that doesn't mean the platform's inherently incapable of it.  And honestly, that more a reflection of Wii not TYPICALLY receiving core games with high sales potential or promotion compared to PS360.  MH3 is something of an exception to the rule in both cases, and that alone proves it can be done if the brand/support is there.

1. Hah, "Granted some required a BBA purchase." Having to purchase a BBA makes a world of difference and a majority of the consoles sold didn't come with networking hardware. If the PS2 had one built in from the begining I guarantee the online community for that console would have been much bigger. Imagine if the wifi adapter became standard for the Wii this year, you think its online community would be as big or it would have sold as many VC/Wiiware games? Of course not.

Obviously a classic controller is more practical than a BBA. There weren't that many games that took advantage of the PS2 BBA. The classic controller is great to have for a lot of games. Damn near mandatory.

2. I imagine the Wii online community would be bigger if it had user profiles instead of those stupid friend codes. But the Wii does appear to have a very active online commnuity. The big appeal to MH is the online features. If core gamers are buying it I guarantee they want to play it online.

3. MHG wasn't a big upgrade over the original. Also, MH2 was coming. That sold even more than the PS2 and Wii's MHG combined.

Its all relevant. The Wii circumstances are different from the PS2. If you still don't agree with anything than drop it. You aren't gonna change my mind and I won't changes yours.

You already understand I was talking about TYPICAL core sales on the Wii. You don't have to dig up the few exceptions. When I say every core game fails on the Wii, than you can have this argument.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

has anyone considered that some people just dont give a crap about NMHs hence the sales??? Personally i did not buy it for Wii and im sure as hell not gonna buy for PS3