By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #5 -- Rate FF6 & FF5!

FFV - 8.5/10. Incredibly fun yet entirely forgettable. Great customization, battle and job system. I thought the music, though good, was sub-par for the series. Both the story and the game's characters didn't at all resonate with me. Regardless, it was a good RPG with some really great moments.

FFVI - 10/10. I really have no major complaints about this game. Hell, I can't think of any real minor annoyances off-hand. It's my second favourite in the series and is arguably the best RPG to date. Extremely well crafted, beautiful world, amazing music, a great set of protagonists opposite of perhaps the series' greatest antagonist. Complete opposite of FFV in that it is very memorable. There were just so many damn awesome, touching, hilarious, frightening and sad parts in the game that it easily makes it one of my favourite games.

Around the Network

VI gets a 9 from me. Haven't played V.

Honestly reading through some of the comments makes me jealous. Everyone makes FFVI sound so amazing... I wish I could have had the same experience with it :(... Oh well.

Final Fantasy VI - 9.9/10

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

twesterm said:

I still say this nonsense about grouping FF games together is, well, nonsense.

I didn't really get into FFV so can't rate it, but FFVI, my favorite game ever.

The gameplay may be broken where some characters are completely overpowered and others are completely useless and some systems (evade!) may just not work but the story, characters, and music make up for all that.

10/10

Also, why Dancing Mad is the greatest boss music ever.

-edit-

From the above link, this does a nice job of starting to describe Kefka:

Power always comes at a price though, and for many villains, that price is often sanity. Okay, so Kefka was batshit to begin with, but in the first half of the game it was funny to watch him prance around in his mismatched motley circus costume … until he poisoned Doma. But then justice was served and he was put in jail, and it was funny to watch him pissed off, making empty threats at revenge … until he was released and massacred all those espers for their magicite at Thamasa and holy shit did he just kill General Leo?!

In short, Kefka seemed harmless at first, because for all his insane anger and curses, you thought that he was just another lackey of the Empire, and would either be defeated for good by your own hand, or the hand of his master if he got out of control. However, as the game continues, instead of making him less intimidating, his nuttiness makes him even scarier as his behavior becomes even more erratic and malevolent. This is all compounded in the World of Ruin where he spends his time using his ultimate power to pick off the lonely survivors for no other reason than he likes killing them. Some people argue that the best villains are ones that have sympathetic backstories, tragic heroes that made a mistake and fell from grace. Kefka is not sympathetic. He is not a tragic hero. He doesn’t care for any notion of honor, loyalty, or goodness. He’s a villain because it’s fun, and this movement takes a sharp turn into a sinister, disjointedly dissonant tune to signify the further descent into madness that ultimate power has brought him.

Ha ha, I have to admit Twest, I tend not to agree with a lot of your posts, but FF VI is my favorite game ever as well.  Common ground.  With that said, my rating for FF VI is easily a 10/10.

Around the Network

FF V: 7/10

FF VI:

As we all know, games with many flaws like GTA IV get 10s...

Since FF VI is easily above GTA IV and is basically perfect (to hell with those who mention how the battle system can get "broken" in the later "end" part of the game, when you basically grinded do much that your characters have become Gods [which is the point to begin with].)...

...I give it a 11 out of 10.

FF6 Kefka FTW :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

FF5: 9/10

It was a lot of fun, the story is better than what people make it seem though it isn't mind blowing by any means.. it's a great game!

FF6: 10/10

The best in the franchise. Best soundtrack of all time (video games or not), incredible story and characters and of course addictive and polished gameplay.

I haven't played FF5 but I give FFVI a 9.8 because I liked it even more than ANY Pokemon 

Khuutra said:
AkibaFan said:
Kasz216 said:

FF6 probably won't end up with the greatest amount of 10's.  But it's likely to have the highest median and mean.  FF6 is probably by far the most popular Final Fantasy game among people who have played it.

i didnt knw ff6 was loved this much. i thought ff7, 10, 9 wer most luvd. then 13, 8. then 12, 11. then 10-2 (frm wht i saw on forums). bt i never luked at pre ps ff threads recently so mayb thts why.

You'll find that those who played them often hold IV and VI as being the pinnacles of the series - more consistently than with any other game in said series.

It actually just depends on the community of the website, although I don't know anywhere where 9 is the most loved.  It is normally IV, VI, and VII... X sometimes, but nowhere near as much.  Most of the time the consensus is "[IV, VI, or VII] is awesome, and [IV, VI, or VII] sucks... *goes on long tangent with completely irrelevant arguments and opinions that aren't really good defenses*..."

Personally I find it pointless to argue which is the best in the series, because everyone has their own opinions and things that they like.  I don't mind scoring them of course, otherwise I wouldn't be participating in these threads, but you can't really put much weight into any of this :P. 

Arguing which is the worst in the series... now that isn't as impossible...