By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #5 -- Rate FF6 & FF5!

FFV - 8.0
FFVI - 10.0

Around the Network

FFV - 8 yay jobs!
FFVI - 10 nothing needs to be said that hasn't already been stated in the thread

FF5. Strong gameplay... some of the strongest in the series. Story is a weakpoint... it's more nostalgic, not bad though... 9.0.

FF6. Really amazing game... few bad things can be said. 10.

It's funny that the game the OP didn't even think mattered is averaging a 9.9 at the time of posting this, by far the highest.

twesterm said:

I still say this nonsense about grouping FF games together is, well, nonsense.

I didn't really get into FFV so can't rate it, but FFVI, my favorite game ever.

The gameplay may be broken where some characters are completely overpowered and others are completely useless and some systems (evade!) may just not work but the story, characters, and music make up for all that.

10/10

Also, why Dancing Mad is the greatest boss music ever.

-edit-

From the above link, this does a nice job of starting to describe Kefka:

Power always comes at a price though, and for many villains, that price is often sanity. Okay, so Kefka was batshit to begin with, but in the first half of the game it was funny to watch him prance around in his mismatched motley circus costume … until he poisoned Doma. But then justice was served and he was put in jail, and it was funny to watch him pissed off, making empty threats at revenge … until he was released and massacred all those espers for their magicite at Thamasa and holy shit did he just kill General Leo?!

In short, Kefka seemed harmless at first, because for all his insane anger and curses, you thought that he was just another lackey of the Empire, and would either be defeated for good by your own hand, or the hand of his master if he got out of control. However, as the game continues, instead of making him less intimidating, his nuttiness makes him even scarier as his behavior becomes even more erratic and malevolent. This is all compounded in the World of Ruin where he spends his time using his ultimate power to pick off the lonely survivors for no other reason than he likes killing them. Some people argue that the best villains are ones that have sympathetic backstories, tragic heroes that made a mistake and fell from grace. Kefka is not sympathetic. He is not a tragic hero. He doesn’t care for any notion of honor, loyalty, or goodness. He’s a villain because it’s fun, and this movement takes a sharp turn into a sinister, disjointedly dissonant tune to signify the further descent into madness that ultimate power has brought him.

You know... I didn't even think about that.  I've replayed FF6 so many times, I totally forgot how I perceived Kefka the first time I played the game.

At first he did seem like a super lackey... then the stuff at Doma happened... and you knew something was up.   Then there was the fake peace... which was obviously, fake... and the betrayal... but the killing of Gestal the first time was surprising.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
twesterm said:

I still say this nonsense about grouping FF games together is, well, nonsense.

I didn't really get into FFV so can't rate it, but FFVI, my favorite game ever.

The gameplay may be broken where some characters are completely overpowered and others are completely useless and some systems (evade!) may just not work but the story, characters, and music make up for all that.

10/10

Also, why Dancing Mad is the greatest boss music ever.

-edit-

From the above link, this does a nice job of starting to describe Kefka:

Power always comes at a price though, and for many villains, that price is often sanity. Okay, so Kefka was batshit to begin with, but in the first half of the game it was funny to watch him prance around in his mismatched motley circus costume … until he poisoned Doma. But then justice was served and he was put in jail, and it was funny to watch him pissed off, making empty threats at revenge … until he was released and massacred all those espers for their magicite at Thamasa and holy shit did he just kill General Leo?!

In short, Kefka seemed harmless at first, because for all his insane anger and curses, you thought that he was just another lackey of the Empire, and would either be defeated for good by your own hand, or the hand of his master if he got out of control. However, as the game continues, instead of making him less intimidating, his nuttiness makes him even scarier as his behavior becomes even more erratic and malevolent. This is all compounded in the World of Ruin where he spends his time using his ultimate power to pick off the lonely survivors for no other reason than he likes killing them. Some people argue that the best villains are ones that have sympathetic backstories, tragic heroes that made a mistake and fell from grace. Kefka is not sympathetic. He is not a tragic hero. He doesn’t care for any notion of honor, loyalty, or goodness. He’s a villain because it’s fun, and this movement takes a sharp turn into a sinister, disjointedly dissonant tune to signify the further descent into madness that ultimate power has brought him.

You know... I didn't even think about that.  I've replayed FF6 so many times, I totally forgot how I perceived Kefka the first time I played the game.

At first he did seem like a super lackey... then the stuff at Doma happened... and you knew something was up.   Then there was the fake peace... which was obviously, fake... and the betrayal... but the killing of Gestal the first time was surprising.

Without a doubt that game does trick you out a few times.

1. Kefka poisoning Doma was just something so unthinkable and totally changed your view on him.
  2. There definately seemed to be something up with the peace agreement but the manner it was executed still surpised you
  3. For those who played the game before the internet ruined everything, who didn't think the floating island was the left level? 

It's sad that if FFVI were released today all those huge moments would be completely ruined because of people listing how many hours it takes and posting videos and all that.  It's sad there are no real surprised in games anymore.

I actually hate when someone tells me how many hours an RPG (or most any game with a story) is because then I know when it's going to end.

Kefka also killed General Leo and i think Terra's mother also was killed by kefka.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

wow ff6 did very well.

@twesterm

get ovr urself dude.

Christian973 said:
Kefka also killed General Leo and i think Terra's mother also was killed by kefka.

Terra's mother was killed by Ghestal if I recall correctly.

AkibaFan said:
wow ff6 did very well.

@twesterm

get ovr urself dude.

FF6 probably won't end up with the greatest amount of 10's.  But it's likely to have the highest median and mean.  FF6 is probably by far the most popular Final Fantasy game among people who have played it.