By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #2 -- Rate FF8!!

KungKras said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

How about this.  Compared to previous FF games (and many that came after), FFVIII had better character interaction, customization and gameplay.  And despite your views, it was still a fun game.  I can name dozens of RPGs that had better customization, character interaction and etc than FFVIII.  But it still doesn't mean FFVIII was horrible in and of itself.  Sometimes you just need to look at a game without trying to compare it to everything else ever made.

That's all there is to it.

FFVIII wouldn't be a horrible game if it wasn't for its system. It's simply a pain to play.

I have no complaints about story like other people in this thread, I actually liked it. I also really like the music. But when I got stuck I just didn't feel motivated to keep playing because I just didn't want to suffer from the stats system anymore.

I'm sure FFVIII had better character interaction. As I said, the story was fine.

As for customization and gameplay, I think Phantasy star II or even pokemon has a much better system when it comes to pure fun. I'm getting FFVI because I want to try it out, and I might get FFVII someday because I want to try it too. Remember what you said about FFVIII having better gameplay and customization than the games that came before it, because I will hold you to your word :P

As for people liking the game. Go ahead and like it then. I think I have a decent picture of why now, and I simply don't value the sme things as you. But I still came up with a better system than square did.... And I will keep reminding you of that.

That's the thing.  By your own admittance, you haven't played the previous FF games.  So you really don't have any point of reference except other non-FF RPGs.  And all I was trying to say was, FFVIII was a very unique step for the series, which up to that time focused more on story than gameplay.

Just the ability to junction magic to enduce status effects on your weapons or refine items and cards into better magic/items was a major step forward for the series.  As well as being able to do something besides press one button for everything in battle (aka using the R1 for Squall's gunblade and various other commands for the Limit Breaks/GFs).  Are these ideas unique to RPGs?  No.  But they were a major improvement for Final Fantasy and made FFVIII fun.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

10/10

Best FF game and best game EVER.

Average now - 7.13 (last vote countd was tonio_13)

u can continue voting for ff8
u can vote for ff1 & ff2 now in this thread

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=107522

6. The biggest problem with this game was the battle system. FFVII had a really good system, so it was hard to play something so much worse than a previous installment. This game never drew me in.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:

That's the thing.  By your own admittance, you haven't played the previous FF games.  So you really don't have any point of reference except other non-FF RPGs.  And all I was trying to say was, FFVIII was a very unique step for the series, which up to that time focused more on story than gameplay.

Just the ability to junction magic to enduce status effects on your weapons or refine items and cards into better magic/items was a major step forward for the series.  As well as being able to do something besides press one button for everything in battle (aka using the R1 for Squall's gunblade and various other commands for the Limit Breaks/GFs).  Are these ideas unique to RPGs?  No.  But they were a major improvement for Final Fantasy and made FFVIII fun.

I haven't played other FF games. But FFVIII still wasn't a fun game for me. A fun game should stand on its own. I think the FFVIII gameplay system is a step in the wrong direction from games like Phantasy Star II which is a 16-bit RPG. I just think it's high complexity isn't backed up with any substance what so ever. I wouldn't want to see an RPG series evolve in that direction.

Pushing one button and choosing what to do from menues wasn't primitive, it was intuitive. But anyways, regardless of that FFVIII sacrificed too much realative to what it introduced. Like I said, in the system that I suggested, the customization and everything would still be there, the only difference would be that in my system, stuff would actually represent stuff and not break the suspension of disbelief for people. That's why I think square were clumsy when they made FFVIII because they didn't have to make it so abstract but they did it anyway, for no apparent reason. That's why I see no improvement. The bad things that were introduced heavily outweighted the good things.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Ugh, worst FF by far in my opinion. I didn't like the characters, story, battle system (ugh draw). I did not beat it, but I got to the last fight, and was so bored that I just stopped. I only got that far because I was a pure FF fanboy back then, if I wasn't, I wouldn't have played it for an hour. Actually, this was the game that made me stop being a FF fanboy.

1/10

Even if you don't like a game there is no way that FF8 deserves a 1/10. Unless the game is literally broken with basically non-functioning everything then it deserves a 1. This is why I dislike # ratings.

Ex.) I dislike Super Mario Galaxy, but I wouldn't give it a 1 simply because I didn't like almost everything about it.

Every RPG needs a real love story

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

@Wagram

I agree I can't believe people have given it 1's 0.5's & even 3's

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I give FFVIII a 10/10. Story is very emotion driven, and the characters are memorable. I love the gameplay; even though it is really easy to break the game and make your characters super strong very early on in the story, I think there can be a lot of strategy involved without breaking it.