By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #2 -- Rate FF8!!

Wagram said:
I thought Rinoa + Squall love story was pretty good. I think XV needs one.

You should play FFX if you haven't.  The Tidus X Yuna love story was very well done(laughing scene aside).

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Wagram said:

You should play FFX if you haven't.  The Tidus X Yuna love story was very well done(laughing scene aside).

<-- Has played and beaten every FF game!

Riachu said:
Wagram said:

HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHA!

____

That was the dreaded laughing scene right?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Riachu said:
Wagram said:

HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHA!

____

That was the dreaded laughing scene right?

Now that I think about it, the laughing scene actually helps make their teen romance more believeable since high school romance can be quite akward.

darthdevidem01 said:
Naum said:

Every RPG needs a real love story

Even a weak one that doesn't make sense?

Definetely the weakest part of an otherwise awesome plot.

Nah, the weakest part of the plot was the Time Compression and 'Orphanage' tie in.  But then, all Final Fantasy games seem to fall apart about 3/4 the way through plot-wise and Final Fantasy VIII was no exception.  The love story actually seemed to be more of a secondary story to tie together the main story (Laguna/Squall and the 'Time Compression').  But yet they tried to pass it off as the focus of the game.  Much like say....the Love Story between Anakin and Padme in Star Wars.  Its forced and constantly brought up, but never the main story and you just want to skip past it.

And that's probably why a lot of people got annoyed with the story in FFVIII.

Qays said:

My 0 is not "how do you rate VIII compared to other games", it's "how to do you rate VIII compared to other FFs". VIII is the worst FF, so it gets the worst score.

How do they fall in love? Why does Rinoa even like Squall?

Despite my calling the love story a 'secondary plot', there is a real reason for Rinoa and Squall liking each other.  If you didn't understand why, maybe you shoulkd go back and play the game.  They lay it out quite clearly, if not draw it out over extremly long cutscenes.  I mean, they only have the main characters stage a concert, lock them in a room alone and make constant hints to their relationship throughout the game.  Not to mention one very long scene with them floating in space and a 15 minute ending sequence focusing on them.....

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

Despite my calling the love story a 'secondary plot', there is a real reason for Rinoa and Squall liking each other. If you didn't understand why, maybe you shoulkd go back and play the game. They lay it out quite clearly, if not draw it out over extremly long cutscenes. I mean, they only have the main characters stage a concert, lock them in a room alone and make constant hints to their relationship throughout the game. Not to mention one very long scene with them floating in space and a 15 minute ending sequence focusing on them.....

You're misunderstanding my question. I didn't mean to imply that it was unclear that they had fallen in love over the course of the game - it's made abundantly clear. I want to know why the hell anyone would fall in love with an idiot like Squall.

Qays said:
Despite my calling the love story a 'secondary plot', there is a real reason for Rinoa and Squall liking each other. If you didn't understand why, maybe you shoulkd go back and play the game. They lay it out quite clearly, if not draw it out over extremly long cutscenes. I mean, they only have the main characters stage a concert, lock them in a room alone and make constant hints to their relationship throughout the game. Not to mention one very long scene with them floating in space and a 15 minute ending sequence focusing on them.....

You're misunderstanding my question. I didn't mean to imply that it was unclear that they had fallen in love over the course of the game - it's made abundantly clear. I want to know why the hell anyone would fall in love with an idiot like Squall.

The same reason everyone is attracted to different people.  If we weren't, the human race wouldn't last very long.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

The same reason everyone is attracted to different people. If we weren't, the human race wouldn't last very long.

If the human race were peopled entirely with Squalls it wouldn't deserve to last very long.

2nd favourite FF game. The junction system was great, leveling up with monsters great, the weird bits you can do to make the game easier or harder. Freedom to control your characters development more then other games. Great graphics and a very enjoyable plot.

9.1/10

Hmm, pie.

FFVIII is still my favorite in the series. Love booting up the PSP just to get in a few games of triple triad! 10/10