By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy Showdown Round #2 -- Rate FF8!!

9/10

Great Final Fantasy game. If it wasn't for that horrible plot twist at the end (Time Compression) it would've received a perfect 10. Also, Ultimecia has absolutely NO background which also flaws the game very much.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Around the Network

I - ?
II - ?
III - ?
MQ - 0
IV - 8
V - 6
VI - 10
VII - 7
VIII - 6
IX - 5
X - 3
XII - 6
XIII - ?

FFA - 9
FFL I II III (i can't recall which is which, been too long) - say 6 average

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

i hated ff8 so im gona give it 3/10

11 :D (10)

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

2/10
don't remember having fun playing it.

edit: i hate love stories.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

9.5/10

Wagram said:
Even if you don't like a game there is no way that FF8 deserves a 1/10. Unless the game is literally broken with basically non-functioning everything then it deserves a 1. This is why I dislike # ratings.

Ex.) I dislike Super Mario Galaxy, but I wouldn't give it a 1 simply because I didn't like almost everything about it.

Yeah, but I don't have to rate according to VGChartz's rating system here, this is a thread that pretty much has no rules. I gave it a 1/10 based on Fun factor (non-existant), how much I liked the characters (I didn't like any of them) and the quality of the story (like a soap-opera but worse). Since I assumed 1-10 is the scale, I gave it a 1, or I would've given it a 0.

Granted, I don't remember the details of the game too well anymore, I've blocked the horrible horrible experience out, but FF8 is the worst FF I've ever played, and probably the worst functional game I've ever played. Anything I've played that was worse would be games that just didn't work properly.

Considering that perspective, is it still so weird that I'd give it a 1?

r505Matt said:
Wagram said:
Even if you don't like a game there is no way that FF8 deserves a 1/10. Unless the game is literally broken with basically non-functioning everything then it deserves a 1. This is why I dislike # ratings.

Ex.) I dislike Super Mario Galaxy, but I wouldn't give it a 1 simply because I didn't like almost everything about it.

Yeah, but I don't have to rate according to VGChartz's rating system here, this is a thread that pretty much has no rules. I gave it a 1/10 based on Fun factor (non-existant), how much I liked the characters (I didn't like any of them) and the quality of the story (like a soap-opera but worse). Since I assumed 1-10 is the scale, I gave it a 1, or I would've given it a 0.

Granted, I don't remember the details of the game too well anymore, I've blocked the horrible horrible experience out, but FF8 is the worst FF I've ever played, and probably the worst functional game I've ever played. Anything I've played that was worse would be games that just didn't work properly.

Yes, but then averaging all of these numbers is pretty much pointless, since some people put more effort and thought into their numbers, when others are just like, "Meh, I don't like it so 1/10...."

For example, I guarantee there are some old school fans who just vote the 3D FFs unrealistically low and the 2D ones high just because of nostalgia and personal preference, while those who like the 3D games don't have some stupid bias that cause them to vote the 2D ones really low, and they infact might rate them quite high.

Fans of the 3D games get a lot of crap, and get attacked by 2D fans claiming 3D fans "believe the series started at VII", when in fact, the 2D fans are a lot worse and very unreasonable.  Very few other series have such a strangely split fanbase to the degree of FF, with so many different groups and haters... Sonic comes close.

IvorEvilen said:
r505Matt said:
Wagram said:

Yes, but then averaging all of these numbers is pretty much pointless, since some people put more effort and thought into their numbers, when others are just like, "Meh, I don't like it so 1/10...."

I don't think much thought is going into this beyond 'put up a score'.  And it was inevitable that FFVIII would have a bunch of downscores and people going '1/10 worst game ever' scores.  The game is known for being one that people either loved or hated.  Mostly in comparison to other FF games.

There's three constants in the FF universe.  FF7 will always be obsessed over.  FF8 will always get unreasonable hate.  And there's always another remake or port coming next year.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Why complain about the people who gave it unreasonably low scores when a bunch of people gave it unreasonably high scores? Read: anything above a 7.