By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game had the best story of all time?

zarx said:
SmoothCriminal said:

No one has said Braid? I'm ashamed at all of you!!!
I will just make a list, as I can't pick just one.
Half-Life series
Modern Warfare series
World in Conflict
Company of Heroes
Mass Effect series
Dragon Age: series
Halo: Combat Evolved
Fire Emblem series
Legend of Zelda series (not an individual game, the entire over-arching story that runs through-out the series)

Braid (due to the fact that it's the only game I've ever played that had a story that could absolutely not be told in a movie or book, only a game)

Half-Life series (The best Sci-Fi story outside of the book Ender's Game)

Modern Warfare series (Gripping, controversial, and above all the never-ending plot twists)

World in Conflict (Deals with themes like the value of Human life, sacrifice, forgiveness, and loyalty)

Company of Heroes series (Even though there's no central characters, it's about the trials and hardships of an entire company of men)

Mass Effect series (Deals with themes such as the place of humanity in the universe, and how to make an impossible decision)

Dragon Age: series (hard to explain)

Legend of Zelda series (not an individual game, the entire over-arching story that runs through-out the series. It's got some really great themes such as loss, betrayal, forgiveness, coming of age, willingness to accept change, heroism, and redemption.)

before I can accept that from you I need to know if you have read Dune, the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy trilogy (all 6 of them), Neuromancer, Use of weapons (read it to the end) and read/watch/play at least half of Ender's shadow, prelude to Dune trilogy, Mass effect 1 & 2 (or so I have heard), the Matrix, 2001: A space odyssey, War of the worlds (not the movie), Terminator 1 & 2, Starwars movies (sure some would argue it's fantasy in space), On the face of the waters, A clockwork orange, Brave new world, and some bad Sci-Fi

then you can attempt to make that statement and I will begin to argue with you lol

(I wouldn't put mass affect 1 + 2) story's above half life, but I have a different opinion than most... so I guess you can go.

1984, blade runner, ghost in the shell (A major Inspiration for the matrix)

Around the Network
thelifatree said:
zarx said:
SmoothCriminal said:

Half-Life series
Modern Warfare series
World in Conflict
Company of Heroes
Mass Effect series
Dragon Age: series
Halo: Combat Evolved
Fire Emblem series
Legend of Zelda series (not an individual game, the entire over-arching story that runs through-out the series)

Braid (due to the fact that it's the only game I've ever played that had a story that could absolutely not be told in a movie or book, only a game)

Half-Life series (The best Sci-Fi story outside of the book Ender's Game)

Modern Warfare series (Gripping, controversial, and above all the never-ending plot twists)

World in Conflict (Deals with themes like the value of Human life, sacrifice, forgiveness, and loyalty)

Company of Heroes series (Even though there's no central characters, it's about the trials and hardships of an entire company of men)

Mass Effect series (Deals with themes such as the place of humanity in the universe, and how to make an impossible decision)

Dragon Age: series (hard to explain)

Legend of Zelda series (not an individual game, the entire over-arching story that runs through-out the series. It's got some really great themes such as loss, betrayal, forgiveness, coming of age, willingness to accept change, heroism, and redemption.)

before I can accept that from you I need to know if you have read Dune, the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy trilogy (all 6 of them), Neuromancer, Use of weapons (read it to the end) and read/watch/play at least half of Ender's shadow, prelude to Dune trilogy, Mass effect 1 & 2 (or so I have heard), the Matrix, 2001: A space odyssey, War of the worlds (not the movie), Terminator 1 & 2, Starwars movies (sure some would argue it's fantasy in space), On the face of the waters, A clockwork orange, Brave new world, and some bad Sci-Fi

then you can attempt to make that statement and I will begin to argue with you lol

1984, blade runner 

yes them as well there are more I can't remember ATM, the names I mean lol

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

c03n3nj0 said:
I'm going with Shadow of the Colossus or Metal gear Solid 3.

They're two of the most memorable to me.

Chrono Trigger will most likely win, though.

as these 3 to my list :P aaaaah i cant chose there are to maney

I'd have to say the Metal Gear Solid series. I've never seen any other game with such detail (storywise).

mgs3 or portal

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

Okami :D. The only game that brought a tear to my eye ^_^.

Skies of Arcadia.

Best RPG ever, fantastic story and characters, more than 100 hours for 100% ending, Ships battle, Pirates, so many quests and characters, treasures, our own Island, discovery and surprises...

One of my 5 favorite experience. In France the game is really rare and costs a lot of money (I'm lucky I got 2 :] )

Devil Survivor story is pretty cool.

Okami, Eternal Darkness and Parasite Eve are great too.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Ive enjoyed plenty of game stories in the years that I had played video games:

Warcraft series, God of War series, Prince of Persia SoT trilogy, Resident Evil ( the first trilogy+ CV). These do not have complex storylines, tough they can tell far more in ways that books and movies IMO are justr not capable. Its probably the interaction, but whatever it is, I love game stories even if they are stripped down, when compared to novels

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Planescape: Torment, Chrono Trigger, Parasite Eve