By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game had the best story of all time?

zarx said:
SmoothCriminal said:

I've played Mass Effect, seen the Matrix, read War of the Worlds (and seen every version of the movie), seen Terminator 1+2, and seen all the Star Wars movies.

I'd say that that's enough to state that HL2 is the the best outside of Ender's Game.

P.S. I actually own Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon, but haven't read either of them. Criminal, I know. 

not until you have read the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, Dune and one of the culture novels (the only one I have read is Use of Weapons and that was great I would love to read the others) as for enders shadow I found it to be better written but maybe not as memorable as Enders game. You could also add Day of the Triffids, Ring World and Do androids dream of electronic sheep to the list lol    Star Wars the Matrix (Neromancer was what it was inspired by but is very different) and the Terminator movies were some of the weaker entries on the list BTW and War of the Worlds probably is to but I liked it.

I'd say the first four Dune novels. God Emperor of Dune is my favorite single science fiction book, containing one of the bestest characters ever.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
zarx said:
SmoothCriminal said:

I've played Mass Effect, seen the Matrix, read War of the Worlds (and seen every version of the movie), seen Terminator 1+2, and seen all the Star Wars movies.

I'd say that that's enough to state that HL2 is the the best outside of Ender's Game.

P.S. I actually own Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon, but haven't read either of them. Criminal, I know. 

not until you have read the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, Dune and one of the culture novels (the only one I have read is Use of Weapons and that was great I would love to read the others) as for enders shadow I found it to be better written but maybe not as memorable as Enders game. You could also add Day of the Triffids, Ring World and Do androids dream of electronic sheep to the list lol    Star Wars the Matrix (Neromancer was what it was inspired by but is very different) and the Terminator movies were some of the weaker entries on the list BTW and War of the Worlds probably is to but I liked it.

I'd say the first four Dune novels. God Emperor of Dune is my favorite single science fiction book, containing one of the bestest characters ever.

well I would recomend them but the only Dune novels I have read are Dune and the preludes to dune I haven't been able to find copies of the other books where I live as the Library doesn't have it and I haven't seen them in any of the stores that sell books, I should check online I guess but there is so much stuff I am working on between my studies, Games like Dragon age Metro 2033 and some DS games I need to finish and I am half way through reading Musashi atm and I am not going to start another book until I do and there are a bunch of other things I want to read that would be easier/cheaper to get my hands on.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Khuutra said:

well I would recomend them but the only Dune novels I have read are Dune and the preludes to dune I haven't been able to find copies of the other books where I live as the Library doesn't have it and I haven't seen them in any of the stores that sell books, I should check online I guess but there is so much stuff I am working on between my studies, Games like Dragon age Metro 2033 and some DS games I need to finish and I am half way through reading Musashi atm and I am not going to start another book until I do and there are a bunch of other things I want to read that would be easier/cheaper to get my hands on.

Frank Herbert's original Dune novels are like forty years old, you can grab the first four in any major chain bookstore for like thirty bucks altogether.

Khuutra said:
zarx said:
Khuutra said:

Frank Herbert's original Dune novels are like forty years old, you can grab the first four in any major chain bookstore for like thirty bucks altogether.

I am sure you can in America but when you live in a small town in New Zealand and half the books around are cookbooks or biographies and another 20% is twilight or Harry potter it is harder to get your hands on, Maybe I should get a ebook reader once I get some money together after I get a new graphics card and a couple of games that are coming up that I want...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Final Fantasy VI had the best storyline for me along with chrono trigger in an RPG genre.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Around the Network

Super Mario Bros.

Without a shred of doubt the MGS series, with MGS4 beeing the highlight in my book.

Creative cinematography, superb narrative, breathtaking set pieces, memorable characters, humour, drama, it has it all. The kind of story that grabs you and just doesn't let go.

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

I've played many games with good stories, but the one game that really got me with it's story was Disgaea. I think a lot of people might overlook it because most of it's so over the top and silly but man, when everything came together at the end...wow...never saw it coming and no game (or movie) has ever felt so powerful to me.

(books have beat it though :P)

zarx said:
Khuutra said:
zarx said:
SmoothCriminal said:

Don't forget Asimov's "Foundation" series, they are amazing.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

RageBot said:
zarx said:
Khuutra said:
zarx said:
SmoothCriminal said:

Don't forget Asimov's "Foundation" series, they are amazing.

I have read some of the short stories a while ago but I have never actually read the novels. and as for the list of great fiction I would add Fahrenheit 451 there is a lot of other science fiction stories out there to that I can't think of atm and some that people consider great that I didn't like Dragonriders of Pern for example to list them all on here would just take so long.

@TheVoxelman on twitter