By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game had the best story of all time?

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
RageBot said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

I don't think I've found a game out there that has even come close to any of the books, movies or TV series I have seen in solid plot and character development. Simply because games either focus too much on chunks of plot that lose their way (such as Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid games) or lose focus of the story as they have to focus on the gameplay, eventhough they still have good characters and powerful moments at times (such as Zelda games or Dragon Quest games).

Suffice to say, the games that I remember the most for their storyline are Suikoden I-III. Which can't be chosen individually, as all three games are an ongoing trilogy with interconnected characters and plot points. It did what I feel makes a story good in a game, which is focus on the characters and drive the plot by putting you in the role of interacting with each scene and event directly. You truly were the 'hero', as everything you did influenced the course of the games storyline, who joined your party, who lived and died and even how the games ended.

If you liked Suikoden I-III, you really should try Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics, they are very similar in many aspects.

(If you play FFT you should play the PSP version, even though there are slowdowns, that's because the original translation was bad)

I've played FFtactics, but suffice to say, it didn't do what I was describing with Suikoden.  In all fairness, it was more like a game where you were a hero being forced to accept what the world was throwing at you and 'make do' with battle after battle all in an effort to survive.  And somewhere down the line, there's some plot about finding your friend and an evil church.  There's just little reason given to why you're the hero and more about people attacking you because they hate you or who you are associated with. 

Whereas the overwhelming plot of Suikoden was about the hero overcoming adversity, commanding an army because his ability to bring people together, trying to save people from being killed and through all that, stopping the worldwide conflict.

In short...I can't really think of two games with more opposite plots.

Well, the games do focus on different themes (FFT on the difference between social ranks, nature of religon, Suikoden on the things you've stated), but both of them also focus on a very realistic world, with a bit of supernatural that grows more and more important as the story flows, they both focus on what can only be described as normal human beings with their own flaws and such (no "badass" character or other cliches) and a deep focus on politics.

They both also have some of the best villians i've ever seen in games (only Vagrant Story, Xenogears and Wild Arms 4 have villians of the same calibur, in my opinion of course).

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
RageBot said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
RageBot said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

I don't think I've found a game out there that has even come close to any of the books, movies or TV series I have seen in solid plot and character development. Simply because games either focus too much on chunks of plot that lose their way (such as Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid games) or lose focus of the story as they have to focus on the gameplay, eventhough they still have good characters and powerful moments at times (such as Zelda games or Dragon Quest games).

Suffice to say, the games that I remember the most for their storyline are Suikoden I-III. Which can't be chosen individually, as all three games are an ongoing trilogy with interconnected characters and plot points. It did what I feel makes a story good in a game, which is focus on the characters and drive the plot by putting you in the role of interacting with each scene and event directly. You truly were the 'hero', as everything you did influenced the course of the games storyline, who joined your party, who lived and died and even how the games ended.

If you liked Suikoden I-III, you really should try Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics, they are very similar in many aspects.

(If you play FFT you should play the PSP version, even though there are slowdowns, that's because the original translation was bad)

I've played FFtactics, but suffice to say, it didn't do what I was describing with Suikoden.  In all fairness, it was more like a game where you were a hero being forced to accept what the world was throwing at you and 'make do' with battle after battle all in an effort to survive.  And somewhere down the line, there's some plot about finding your friend and an evil church.  There's just little reason given to why you're the hero and more about people attacking you because they hate you or who you are associated with. 

Whereas the overwhelming plot of Suikoden was about the hero overcoming adversity, commanding an army because his ability to bring people together, trying to save people from being killed and through all that, stopping the worldwide conflict.

In short...I can't really think of two games with more opposite plots.

Well, the games do focus on different themes (FFT on the difference between social ranks, nature of religon, Suikoden on the things you've stated), but both of them also focus on a very realistic world, with a bit of supernatural that grows more and more important as the story flows, they both focus on what can only be described as normal human beings with their own flaws and such (no "badass" character or other cliches) and a deep focus on politics.

They both also have some of the best villians i've ever seen in games (only Vagrant Story, Xenogears and Wild Arms 4 have villians of the same calibur, in my opinion of course).

Not to mention, as much as I like Suikoden, the Hero isn't really the main focus.  You just play as the Hero.  Its more of a focus on all the other characters.  Which, seeing as there's 108+ characters in each game and about 60 or more of them are vital to the plot, that's a lot of main characters all working together.  The hero just brings them together and you 'play as' the hero.

FFTactics, its mostly centered on about 4-5 characters.  Which isn't saying its inferior to Suikoden, just saying the plot is different.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Ogre Battle 64 also has a nice plot. Maybe not "best story of all time" nice, but it's a very nice plot.

Up to now?
PC: Homeworld Series
Console: Chrono Cross, Suikoden Series

Future? Super Dimensional Game Neptune should Be EPIC!

id vote for MGS4

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

SoTC.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
No other game has come even close.

halo trilogy
A film will be epic, base on the story alone

Every game by team ICO
The original 3d POP series by Ubi
Demon's Souls

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

SmoothCriminal said:

No one has said Braid? I'm ashamed at all of you!!!
I will just make a list, as I can't pick just one.
Half-Life series
Modern Warfare series
World in Conflict
Company of Heroes
Mass Effect series
Dragon Age: series
Halo: Combat Evolved
Fire Emblem series
Legend of Zelda series (not an individual game, the entire over-arching story that runs through-out the series)

No one has said Braid? I'm ashamed at all of you!!!

I will just make a list, as I can't pick just one.

Braid (due to the fact that it's the only game I've ever played that had a story that could absolutely not be told in a movie or book, only a game)

Half-Life series (The best Sci-Fi story outside of the book Ender's Game)

Modern Warfare series (Gripping, controversial, and above all the never-ending plot twists)

World in Conflict (Deals with themes like the value of Human life, sacrifice, forgiveness, and loyalty)

Company of Heroes series (Even though there's no central characters, it's about the trials and hardships of an entire company of men)

Mass Effect series (Deals with themes such as the place of humanity in the universe, and how to make an impossible decision)

Dragon Age: series (hard to explain)

Legend of Zelda series (not an individual game, the entire over-arching story that runs through-out the series. It's got some really great themes such as loss, betrayal, forgiveness, coming of age, willingness to accept change, heroism, and redemption.)

before I can accept that from you I need to know if you have read Dune, the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy trilogy (all 6 of them), Neuromancer, Use of weapons (read it to the end) and read/watch/play at least half of Ender's shadow, prelude to Dune trilogy, Mass effect 1 & 2 (or so I have heard), the Matrix, 2001: A space odyssey, War of the worlds (not the movie), Terminator 1 & 2, Starwars movies (sure some would argue it's fantasy in space), On the face of the waters, A clockwork orange, Brave new world, and some bad Sci-Fi

then you can attempt to make that statement and I will begin to argue with you lol

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!