By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game had the best story of all time?

Khuutra said:
RageBot said:
Khuutra said:

It was written by the guy who wrote Planescape: Torment, if that means anything.

Wait, we've had this conversation before.

Did we? When?

I'm not sure, but I could swear we have.

It ended with me going "Get the PC version, there's a fanmade patch that re-adds the missing content"

And it's written by Chris Avellone. It's actually the game I would pick as the best-written I've ever played in many ways, and contains what is probably the single most complex character in the hisotry of the medium.

Chris Avellone is definitely the greatest videogame writer ever. Kotor2's story and writing was way better than the original game, and Kreia was indeed one of the best characters I've ever seen in a game, if not the best.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
RageBot said:
Khuutra said:

It was written by the guy who wrote Planescape: Torment, if that means anything.

Wait, we've had this conversation before.

Did we? When?

It ended with me going "Get the PC version, there's a fanmade patch that re-adds the missing content"

And it's written by Chris Avellone. It's actually the game I would pick as the best-written I've ever played in many ways, and contains what is probably the single most complex character in the hisotry of the medium.

Kotor II, was probably my second favorite story, in a game. It's just well, I don't knwo if the story was unfinished but the unfinished last levels detracted from the atmosphere of the whole game etc, atleast to me

But I thought, the second Kotor's story was much much better than the 1st, Bioware to me atleast writes well written stories, but atleast to me, they've never to me taken the game to another level. They're much better then most other videogame stories IMO but yeah.

Just I thought gameplay etc was worse that Kotor 1 in Kotor 2

Edit: you probably answered. But is there a mod, that fixes the end of the game (Kotor 2) being not really complete or were you talking about a different game.

And does the patch, seem to fit in with the game and not just ... well a fan made patch if it exists

i think is either the MGS series or God of War..... although i didnt really like the ending of god of war 3

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Persona 3 for me, but that has alot to do with the great cast, amazing character development, its uniqueness and how philosophical it was

thelifatree said:

Kotor II, was probably my second favorite story, in a game. It's just well, I don't knwo if the story was unfinished but the unfinished last levels detracted from the atmosphere of the whole game etc, atleast to me

But I thought, the second Kotor's story was much much better than the 1st, Bioware to me atleast writes well written stories, but atleast to me, they've never to me taken the game to another level. They're much better then most other videogame stories IMO but yeah.

Edit: you probably answered. But is there a mod, that fixes the end of the game (Kotor 2) being not really complete or were you talking about a different game.

And does the patch, seem to fit in with the game and not just ... well a fan made patch if it exists

I'm ttalking about KotOR2. It is great.

The fanmade patch is great and polished and worth playing.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
thelifatree said:

I'm ttalking about KotOR2. It is great.

The fanmade patch is great and polished and worth playing.

yeah, I was talking about kotor2 too, or trying to, I just am scatterbrained, here and in general.

Ima replay it now. :D When i have time:(

coolbeans said:
RageBot said:
Khuutra said:

I don't think I ever talked to you about that. :P

And yeah, I heard that the game could've been an incredible masterpiece if it was not rushed (heard that the ending was cut or something), I also heard that the fan-made patch was recently released, so maybe i'll give it a go sometime soon.

That's been said alot but I don't see it.  I only find some side-quests to be rushed.  Instead of the fighting oriented endings normally expected, it just goes more into dialouge in certain parts which was it's fundamental strength.  That's why I don't see the ending rushed, personally.

The patched version has more dialogue, if that means anything.

coolbeans said:
Khuutra said:
coolbeans said:
RageBot said:
Khuutra said:

I don't think I ever talked to you about that. :P

And yeah, I heard that the game could've been an incredible masterpiece if it was not rushed (heard that the ending was cut or something), I also heard that the fan-made patch was recently released, so maybe i'll give it a go sometime soon.

That's been said alot but I don't see it.  I only find some side-quests to be rushed.  Instead of the fighting oriented endings normally expected, it just goes more into dialouge in certain parts which was it's fundamental strength.  That's why I don't see the ending rushed, personally.

The patched version has more dialogue, if that means anything.

Oh cool.  Although I played mine on Xbox, I'll try to see if I can buy off of here to play the patched one.  Where do I dl the patch? kotor2.com or something like that?

The problem is, does anyone know hot to fix widescreen resolution in Kotor 2 or is it impossible

But the PC version is so much more smoother and enjoyable than the xbox version... That will also enhance the experiences :P

Majora's Mask, so great

RageBot said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

I don't think I've found a game out there that has even come close to any of the books, movies or TV series I have seen in solid plot and character development. Simply because games either focus too much on chunks of plot that lose their way (such as Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid games) or lose focus of the story as they have to focus on the gameplay, eventhough they still have good characters and powerful moments at times (such as Zelda games or Dragon Quest games).

Suffice to say, the games that I remember the most for their storyline are Suikoden I-III. Which can't be chosen individually, as all three games are an ongoing trilogy with interconnected characters and plot points. It did what I feel makes a story good in a game, which is focus on the characters and drive the plot by putting you in the role of interacting with each scene and event directly. You truly were the 'hero', as everything you did influenced the course of the games storyline, who joined your party, who lived and died and even how the games ended.

If you liked Suikoden I-III, you really should try Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics, they are very similar in many aspects.

(If you play FFT you should play the PSP version, even though there are slowdowns, that's because the original translation was bad)

I've played FFtactics, but suffice to say, it didn't do what I was describing with Suikoden.  In all fairness, it was more like a game where you were a hero being forced to accept what the world was throwing at you and 'make do' with battle after battle all in an effort to survive.  And somewhere down the line, there's some plot about finding your friend and an evil church.  There's just little reason given to why you're the hero and more about people attacking you because they hate you or who you are associated with. 

Whereas the overwhelming plot of Suikoden was about the hero overcoming adversity, commanding an army because his ability to bring people together, trying to save people from being killed and through all that, stopping the worldwide conflict.

In short...I can't really think of two games with more opposite plots.

Six upcoming games you should look into: