Oblivion vs. Fallout

Oblivion is better 28 21.54%

Fallout is better 48 36.92%

both are great, I cannot ... 19 14.62%

I prefer swords and magic. Oblivion it is. 13 10.00%

I prefer guns and the pos... 18 13.85%

I hate RPG's 4 3.08%

Total:130

Fallout 3 is superior to Oblivion in just about every way.

Around the Network

I hated Oblivion but loved FO3. Oblivion is like Fallout 3 but worse in almost every way. The story is implemented even worse than FO3, which was bad to begin with. I didn't enjoy any of the sidequests. The interface reminds me of PC games I used to play back in like 1992. The graphics are worse. The characters aren't interesting or memorable. The world is bigger, but there's less interesting stuff to do in it. The concept of guilds is a good idea but I found the missions to be kinda boring.

It took about 3 hours for me to get hooked into FO3. I played Oblivion for about 15 hours and still wasn't really enjoying it so I sold it.

On top of that, I think the setting of Oblivion is corny and there's nothing in the story or characters that could overcome that like how Dragon Age was able to overcome that for me.

I plan to buy both, I can't say which I'll prefer yet, I loved both Fallout 2 and Morrowind, but I preferred F2, anyhow I can't say it will be the same for their sequels.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Wii_R2_Hardcore said:
If I judge from the results, maybe Fallout seems better thatn Oblivion if you really like guns and the medieval setting means nothing to you...

I haven't played Fallout (that's why I am asking) but I am still in the middle of my one and only Oblivion playthrough (110 hours). I don't like the FPS view, most of the time I am in a third person perspective. I love the melee combat. I have like 99 Blade skill and 21 marksman skill because using a bow and arrows seems very uneffective and I don't run from a fight. I only use the FP view when I am casting spells, and looking for something on the floor or something.

I insist: Is it a matter of taste? Are people who love guns and postapocaliptic setting (like Gears of Wars in FPS view) saying that Fallout is better just because it fits better their preference? No, I don't hate guns, but maybe the only objective thing some people hace mentioned is the leveling system. (I didn't have a problem with that in Oblivion).

Let`s put it this way: some people say that Bioshock is an RPG. That game look so sterile to me. So unatractive... The only good thing I see good about Fallout is that it was made by the same developers of Oblivion and lots of people say is awesome or even better that Oblivion. (Yes I am goint to have to play it eventually, I guess) Can you mention some other things that are great about Fallout? Thanks

The same people that call Bioshock a horror game ?

Clearly nonsense. Bioshock is neither RPG nor horror.

It has some elements from those genres, but not nearly enough to categorize them as those.

(Still one of the best games of this generation)

Neither, Dragon Age: Origins.

Out of these two though, I say Fallout. I prefer Sci-Fi over Fantasy.

Around the Network

I am disappointed in the results.

Plus it just sounds awkward to hear people say that they hate Oblivion.

Fallout is a better game quality wise but oblivion inspired fallout. Just depends on the context..

Slimebeast said:
I am disappointed in the results.

Plus it just sounds awkward to hear people say that they hate Oblivion.

Actually, I am not surprised with the results...

And about Oblivion... well, I admit it: I didn't like it right away. But now I love it! I still cannot believe I am about to complete 110 hours and still having fun. And I haven't finished the main quest or the expansions: neither shivering isles or the Knights of the Nine!!!

I may give Fallout a shot... but I still would like to know more about it...

thelifatree said:
Barozi said:
I think Fallout 3 is the best game of this generation.

It is an Oblivion with guns kinda. But that's something very good IMO.
And thanks to V.A.T.S. it's not only a shooter. Leveling system is also way better. Main storyline is more interesting and longer and there are more side-quests as far as I can remember compared to Oblivion. Fallout 3 also has your typical dungeons and fantasy creatures.

Only thing I don't like as much is that there really aren't that many towns. Lots of small villages, yes, but only 2 important towns that you will visit more than once.
(Note: I'm not counting Washington DC as a traditionally RPG city)

I agree with everything you said

And since I played morrowind. Oblivion wasn't the sequal was that I hoped it to be while still good.

And since I never played Fallout 2 I had no expectations. Fallout 3 was better for me and VATZ was better than Oblivions bad combat, but fallout non-vatz combat was worse then oblivion

but they both need to fix their bad combat systems, so it's not like driving a bus.

and I normally like swords and magic :P

Completely agree 100%... combat inside the VATS system is awesome and probably the best part about Fallout 3's gameplay, but the game is far to heavily reliant on it, and when you're outside the VATS system in regular combat, you just end up spraying bullets everywhere until your enemies are finally vanquished, while you just stand there like a chump and take MASSIVE DAMAGE lol.

Certain guns in the game like scoped / sniper rifles are completely useless too, because even in VATS you don't have much better range with scoped rifles than you do with standard guns and assault rifles, so you'll still end up just wasting multiple shots and giving your position away when trying to target enemies from a decent distance away.  And good luck trying to hit anything with a sniper rifle outside of VATS.  I know this game isn't Modern Warfare, but at least SOME realism would be nice with the combat to offset the random chance RPG system that the combat is based on.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

oblivion is a beautiful game filled with green and life

fallout is the complete opposite with death everywhere and a wasteland

i like the look and feel of oblivion better