I prefer swords and magic. Oblivion it is. 13 10.00%

I prefer guns and the pos... 18 13.85%

I hate RPG's 4 3.08%

Total:130

tunnel snakes rule!@

Around the Network
thelifatree said:
Barozi said:
I think Fallout 3 is the best game of this generation.

It is an Oblivion with guns kinda. But that's something very good IMO.
And thanks to V.A.T.S. it's not only a shooter. Leveling system is also way better. Main storyline is more interesting and longer and there are more side-quests as far as I can remember compared to Oblivion. Fallout 3 also has your typical dungeons and fantasy creatures.

Only thing I don't like as much is that there really aren't that many towns. Lots of small villages, yes, but only 2 important towns that you will visit more than once.
(Note: I'm not counting Washington DC as a traditionally RPG city)

I agree with everything you said

And since I played morrowind. Oblivion wasn't the sequal was that I hoped it to be while still good.

And since I never played Fallout 2 I had no expectations. Fallout 3 was better for me and VATZ was better than Oblivions bad combat, but fallout non-vatz combat was worse then oblivion

but they both need to fix their bad combat systems, so it's not like driving a bus.

and I normally like swords and magic :P

Yeah pretty much. As a pure shooter it would've failed.

And I think they really should improve the 3rd person camera and the running animations. That's why I think Bethesda games should be played in first person.

@Barozi

Since you like Fallout 3 so much, what are your expectations for Fallout New Vegas?...do you think it seems to have what it takes to be an outstanding Fallout experience?

JGarret said:
@Barozi

Since you like Fallout 3 so much, what are your expectations for Fallout New Vegas?...do you think it seems to have what it takes to be an outstanding Fallout experience?

Well I guess the situation will be very similar to Knights of The Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights.

The first game (or in Fallout's case the reboot of the series) is the outstanding one and the Obsidian developed successor will be great, but not quite as good.

I'll say it again, Obsidian games are great, but they feel more like very time consuming and well made mods rather than being true improved sequels. In this case at least it isn't meant to be a sequel, so expectations shouldn't be quite as high. Should still going to be very entertaining for every Fallout 3 fan.

I also expect a Metacritic score of around 85.

As I always said when I played Morrowind for the first time... What this game needs is guns. First person melee isn't fun in my opinion because it really cuts down on the maneuverability if it was third person.

Maybe Wiimote+ style fighting would change my mind... but with gameplay? I'll take the ranged First Person over Hand to hand first person... even if it is a bastardization of one of my favorite franchises.

Around the Network

Fallout 3 is a superb game but Oblivion is the game of my life.

I'm going with Oblivion because certain things about Fallout 3 annoyed me, particularly when I'd go in a vault or subway tunnel for a quest, complete it, then get lost on the way out. Oblivion made it nice and just stuck a door in the final room of the quest. Oh, and Shivering Isles is awesome! Though I will admit it makes no sense how you can be the head of all four guilds at the same time, particularly when, if you complete the mages guild questline before the thieves guild, there's a major plothole (I just uncovered it this week) where you end up having to steal a staff from yourself.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Fallout 3 was a blast, but I prefer Oblivion. More depth, replay value, and frankly just more fun.

Blasting people heads off in slow motion gets a little annoying after a while.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Fallout, gets boring eventually as the environment is bland and redundant. Still great fun.

Oblivion is trippy just visit the shivering isles.

Mostly I think the look of Fallout is depressing, like West Texas!

If I judge from the results, maybe Fallout seems better thatn Oblivion if you really like guns and the medieval setting means nothing to you...

I haven't played Fallout (that's why I am asking) but I am still in the middle of my one and only Oblivion playthrough (110 hours). I don't like the FPS view, most of the time I am in a third person perspective. I love the melee combat. I have like 99 Blade skill and 21 marksman skill because using a bow and arrows seems very uneffective and I don't run from a fight. I only use the FP view when I am casting spells, and looking for something on the floor or something.

I insist: Is it a matter of taste? Are people who love guns and postapocaliptic setting (like Gears of Wars in FPS view) saying that Fallout is better just because it fits better their preference? No, I don't hate guns, but maybe the only objective thing some people hace mentioned is the leveling system. (I didn't have a problem with that in Oblivion).

Let`s put it this way: some people say that Bioshock is an RPG. That game look so sterile to me. So unatractive... The only good thing I see good about Fallout is that it was made by the same developers of Oblivion and lots of people say is awesome or even better that Oblivion. (Yes I am goint to have to play it eventually, I guess) Can you mention some other things that are great about Fallout? Thanks