By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Multiplatform engines didn't do the Xbox 360 justice.

slowmo said:
Booh! said:
Darc Requiem said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
......are you serious? 360 actually had it good with multiplat Just look @ the bad ports ps3 had compared to it's exclusives, I'd say its more like multiplatform engines didn't do ps3 justice IMO.

Well someone didn't read the thread topic. You may want to go back and read the OP. Be sure to pull your foot out of your mouth first

I read the OP:

1) He fails to mention that games like Halo 3, Fable II, Too Human, Banjo-Kazooie, Forza 3 or Dead Rising are not better than their multiplat counterparts (graphically speaking).

2) He talks about a game that is not out yet.

1. Halo 3 was a modified Halo 2 engine, not developed from the ground up.  Fable II was a new engine that was built but not fully matured, it was still very pretty though so not sure what you're issue is (also Fable 3 should really show that engine off properly).  Forza 3 looks amazing, the new engine is a huge step.  Banjo Kazooie is a again a pretty game and uses advanced techniques such as tesselation but is hardly the sort of game that will be on contention for graphics king.  Too Human was a multiplatform engine, same with Dead Rising.

What is your point exactly, none of those games had 3-4 year development cycles and huge budgets?

2. He has seen the game in action I gather from what I read, you haven't, which instantly makes his opinion far more valid than yours on the subject.

@CGI - I don't know why we bother posting any articles that post the 360 in a good light, there is too many Sony trolls on this board and the mods will do nothing yet again.

1) Silicon Knights developed their own engine for Too Human: "Progress on the Silicon Knights’ Engine continues to date and, at this time, the Silicon Knights Engine is completely independent of Epic’s Engine and certainly derives no benefit from the unworkable source code provided by Epic." (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14759)

2) I don't think he has seen anything more than youtube videos...

P.S. Halo 3 (not to mention ODST) and Fable II had 3 years development cycles and good budgets.

Around the Network

I don't think Alan Wake looks as good as everyone is claiming. But I felt that way about GoW3 as well though.

Another thread turned to shit. Thanks, children.

"Man is born free but is everywhere in chains" - Rousseau

well, it does the developers good =)

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

I'll reply to your thread CGI! I actually believe multiplatform engines did the 360 justice. Most multiplatform engines are GPU driven and to be perfectly frank so's direct X and Microsoft's graphics philosophy. So when you see multiplatform games end up better on a visual level (That fancy occlusion and bloom) it's cause they're utilizing the 360s gpu. Though I'm not sure how much more devs can tap out of the gpu though; specifically I think epic is utilizing the gpu well with the unreal engine and it's reaching its max. Another discussion I think should be had is what can the 360s cpu do for its graphics?

Around the Network
Rickz0r said:
slowmo said:
Booh! said:
Darc Requiem said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
......are you serious? 360 actually had it good with multiplat Just look @ the bad ports ps3 had compared to it's exclusives, I'd say its more like multiplatform engines didn't do ps3 justice IMO.

Well someone didn't read the thread topic. You may want to go back and read the OP. Be sure to pull your foot out of your mouth first

I read the OP:

1) He fails to mention that games like Halo 3, Fable II, Too Human, Banjo-Kazooie, Forza 3 or Dead Rising are not better than their multiplat counterparts (graphically speaking).

2) He talks about a game that is not out yet.

1. Halo 3 was a modified Halo 2 engine, not developed from the ground up.  Fable II was a new engine that was built but not fully matured, it was still very pretty though so not sure what you're issue is (also Fable 3 should really show that engine off properly).  Forza 3 looks amazing, the new engine is a huge step.  Banjo Kazooie is a again a pretty game and uses advanced techniques such as tesselation but is hardly the sort of game that will be on contention for graphics king.  Too Human was a multiplatform engine, same with Dead Rising.

What is your point exactly, none of those games had 3-4 year development cycles and huge budgets?

2. He has seen the game in action I gather from what I read, you haven't, which instantly makes his opinion far more valid than yours on the subject.

@CGI - I don't know why we bother posting any articles that post the 360 in a good light, there is too many Sony trolls on this board and the mods will do nothing yet again.

@Bolded, you're actually saying the exact same thing as he was trying to point out. They're not looking better then their multiplat counterparts.

WOW, does that mean I'm actually on topic talking about the 360 unlike half of you trolling it in this thread and the mods are doing NOTHING yet again!

CGI-Quality said

"Alan Wake not just raising the bar for Xbox360 in term of visuals, it’s raising the bar for this whole generation. Technically and artistically, Alan Wake is shaping up to be the best looking game this generation. From the real-time projected shadows produced by the essential flashlight, the total absence of aliasing (720p 4x FSAA), the breathtaking realistic lighting effects (the best I have ever seen), the epic scale of the environments, SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion), the atmospheric effects to the vegetation which interacts with characters and wind, and the absent of screen tearing. Truly impressive stuff."

--This wasnt said by CGI

If you forget that paragraph and the one that wasnt posted by CGI (particularly in this case since obviously the writer hadnt played the game yet), the rest of the article is well written and make a very good and valid point. I dont understand the hype sometime, its obvious you need to play a game before affirming things like that, even more so if your a journalist. But the guy seems more like a blogger than a journalist. CGI didnt post the last paragraph from the article because it was below the video, here it is lol:

"The best thing Sony did this gen is they let their first party devs to create games with one thing in mind: Taking full advantage of the PS3 power. That’s why we have been seeing PS3 exclusives looking better than Xbox360 games. Things are about to change now, as we are seeing games such as Alan Wake equaling or surpassing PS3 exclusives in term of visuals. And the most impressive thing is: Alan Wake is running on a $199 console with limited storage capacity (DVD9). It will be interesting to see what does Sony have up their sleeve at the upcoming E3."

equalling or surpassing, really? I thought it was "raising the bar for this whole generation."  Hes even promoting the 360 and his price point. When he should be talking about how great the developers are, hes saying that the most impressive thing is that the console that run the game is price at 199$ and is able to run it on DVD9 lol. I think its pretty obvious that the guy start with good point but extend to a fanboy level from those starting point.

On subject, I agree that multiplatform engine didnt do justice to the 360 at all. I only have problem with some claims of the author, he dont look neutral at all.

Icyedge said:
CGI-Quality said

"Alan Wake not just raising the bar for Xbox360 in term of visuals, it’s raising the bar for this whole generation. Technically and artistically, Alan Wake is shaping up to be the best looking game this generation. From the real-time projected shadows produced by the essential flashlight, the total absence of aliasing (720p 4x FSAA), the breathtaking realistic lighting effects (the best I have ever seen), the epic scale of the environments, SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion), the atmospheric effects to the vegetation which interacts with characters and wind, and the absent of screen tearing. Truly impressive stuff."

--This wasnt said by CGI

If you forget that paragraph and the one that wasnt posted by CGI (particularly in this case since obviously the writer hadnt played the game yet), the rest of the article is well written and make a very good and valid point. I dont understand the hype sometime, its obvious you need to play a game before affirming things like that, even more so if your a journalist. But the guy seems more like a blogger than a journalist. CGI didnt post the last paragraph from the article because it was below the video, here it is lol:

"The best thing Sony did this gen is they let their first party devs to create games with one thing in mind: Taking full advantage of the PS3 power. That’s why we have been seeing PS3 exclusives looking better than Xbox360 games. Things are about to change now, as we are seeing games such as Alan Wake equaling or surpassing PS3 exclusives in term of visuals. And the most impressive thing is: Alan Wake is running on a $199 console with limited storage capacity (DVD9). It will be interesting to see what does Sony have up their sleeve at the upcoming E3."

equalling or surpassing, really? I thought it was "raising the bar for this whole generation."  Hes even promoting the 360 and his price point. When he should be talking about how great the developers are, hes saying that the most impressive thing is that the console that run the game is price at 199$ and is able to run it on DVD9 lol. I think its pretty obvious that the guy start with good point but extend to a fanboy level from those starting point.

Is this really what I have been thinking all along?!

mM

i do agree with this thread , and im glad the 360s finally getting some good engines but i still think gears 3 will be the nicest looking game ever.

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent