By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics Whore Showdown Round 12: MGS4 vs Splinter Cell: Conviction

Graphics Whore Showdown Round 12: MGS4 vs Splinter Cell: Conviction

Metal Gear Solid 4 255 80.44%

Splinter Cell: Conviction 62 19.56%

Total:317
Deviation59 said:
As a game, I'm definitely enjoying Splinter Cell: Conviction. But there's absolutely nothing special about the graphics in that game. Typical UE3 stuff. Yes, I'll say it. MGS4 looks better. But there are plenty of Xbox 360 games that look better than Conviction, so it's not a question of platform preference.

Just a quick note, this game does not use UE3, it uses a heavily modified UE2.  An UE2.5 of sorts, kind of like Bioshock.  It uses a custom SSAO algorithm, and has some other tricks.

I don't think SC:C looks that great, but I think it does look better than MGS4.  I really don't get why people think MGS4 looks so damn good, outside of the character models.  It has terrible lighting and poor particle effects.  Don't get me wrong, I still think MGS4 looks good, but it's not great.

Around the Network

I haven't played Conviction, and quite frankly, I don't even like Splinter Cell games (even the ones on Sony systems).

I will say that I thought MGS4 looked better than GeOw2, and that game was on UE3. If Conviction is on UE2 (even updated or whatever), it's gonna be hard to sway me....

MGS4, splinter cell, looks ok, but its not even close to a PS3 exclusive., I am very close to beating SC convection, so I think I have been the best graphics the game has to offer, to me it looks like tipical, Unreal Engine graphics, which gameplay is really nice , but graphics in my opinion have never been top notch. So far Sc is very fun, just on the short side.

PLayMySTatioN said:
Actually it is fair this is MGS4 i have seen both, MGS4 is by FAR better. if you havent played just look at the screenshots LOL! i dont even think the SC ones are in game.

Cool forum name. I'm surprised you picked MGS4...you kept me guessing on that one. Now go ahead and spend the next hour trolling through each and every MS thread until you get rebanned and have to create another alt account.

gotta go with mgs4, the only good looking character in splinter cell is sam himself

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

Metal Gear Solid 4 looks better, of course!
more details, better sequenzes, better graphic.

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero

chapset said:

gotta go with mgs4, the only good looking character in splinter cell is sam himself

Damn look at all the detail on the girl on top.

/sarcasm

play dough people FTL!

This is a joke, right? MGS4 1080p SC:C 568P. Metal Gear has twice the resolution, Splinter Cell isn;t even HD...

This is purely a graphic's issue and the two games do not compare what so ever. These screen shots are very innacurate. MGS4 720 or 1080p is high def where as splintercell is not. These screen have been resized multiple times, there is heavy corruption. MGS4 is still the most stunning game in my oppinion, the vegetation and facial animation is not as good as Uncharted, granted, but the game overall is much more polished. Splinter Cell looks good for a sub-HD title and has more realistic skin textures than MGS4. MGS4 wins in every other concievable way with twice the resolution, twice the detail, they don;t really compare at all.

Nothing on the 360 looks better than mass effect 2 and ME2 looks better than splinter cell.

As for comments about the corrupted screenshots above, one is an ingame corrupted shot, the other isn;t in game at all, there is no way to compare them, the skin textures look much better when mgs4 is actually running though, this scrren makes her look plastic. SC has better skin textures, thought

MGS4 holds up very well even by todays standards. The character models are excellent, even if the environments are a bit drab.

Those SC:C screenshots have a lot more colour in them. But they're nothing special, the last one in particular is just ugly.

I think I'd need to play both to give a proper opinion, they're pretty close in my opinion judging from these screens, although I'm leaning slightly towards MGS4.

for anyone that played the demo of SC

easily MGS4

mM