By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Orange box hands on (1up)

*edit* 

thanks

Around the Network

If someone did boycott Valve for this, I'm glad. Less idiots on the servers.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

AntiFanTard said:
Wojtas said:
Nah, it's not that i'm curious, i just wanted to start a flame war. Seriously though, it just strikes me as strange that if so many devs have such problems, then what was the point of creating such an architecture? In that sense i have to agree With Gabe Newell, that it was a bad decision to design something that may never be used in other appliances. In this case, cell.

It's called progress.

"We will never make a 32-bit operating system."

- Bill Gates

When ever there is progress, where ever there is innovation, there will be those who are comfortable with the way things are. This is just the way the world works I guess. It's easier to stick with a tried and true method of doing the same old thing than to invest in training for something new. EA has proven this to us time and time again.

It's yet to be proven that the Cell is the best choice for making games. It seems to be pretty great for scientific number-crunching applications though (which is not surprising to anyone who understands CPU architectures).

If the Cell in the PS3 had included 3 PPEs instead of one, the PS3 would be much more powerful than the 360. As it stands, the Cell is more of an obstacle in many ways, since the SPEs often have to do work which would be best done in a generic core (such as the PPE is).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

BenKenobi88 said:
If someone did boycott Valve for this, I'm glad. Less idiots on the servers.

I agree with you

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Te article did say that Portal was working fine and this game alone would be worth buying the game.
I don't know much about Portal, but is it worth it?

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
AntiFanTard said:
Wojtas said:
Nah, it's not that i'm curious, i just wanted to start a flame war. Seriously though, it just strikes me as strange that if so many devs have such problems, then what was the point of creating such an architecture? In that sense i have to agree With Gabe Newell, that it was a bad decision to design something that may never be used in other appliances. In this case, cell.

It's called progress.

"We will never make a 32-bit operating system."

- Bill Gates

When ever there is progress, where ever there is innovation, there will be those who are comfortable with the way things are. This is just the way the world works I guess. It's easier to stick with a tried and true method of doing the same old thing than to invest in training for something new. EA has proven this to us time and time again.

It's yet to be proven that the Cell is the best choice for making games. It seems to be pretty great for scientific number-crunching applications though (which is not surprising to anyone who understands CPU architectures).

If the Cell in the PS3 had included 3 PPEs instead of one, the PS3 would be much more powerful than the 360. As it stands, the Cell is more of an obstacle in many ways, since the SPEs often have to do work which would be best done in a generic core (such as the PPE is).

I'm not going to argue what is the "best choice" if such a thing even exists. Simply, Sony is trying something new. To that respect, you can't make games in the old style using this new technology. You can argue that the Cell lacks this or needs that, but it's really how that hardware is used that will determine how successful it will be. The DS isn't suffering from any sort of technical inferiority in comparison to the PSP but last I heard the PSP isn't exactly a chore to develop for as evidenced by the wealth of homebrew apps available for it.

In all honesty, Sony fucked up by ignoring the developers this generation. Dev kits were dumped into their laps in early 2006 so I'm not surprised that decent games are just beginning to roll out.

VGChartz forums: the new gamefaqs

Maybe I should have been clearer. I was specifically replying to the part where you talk about the Cell as being "progress" for gaming. I did not mean to imply you had said it was the best thing ever.

Simply put, I don't think it has yet been proven that the Cell (in its PS3 configuration of 1 PPE + 6 game usable SPEs) constitutes valuable progress for gaming.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

First of all, people complained about the F.E.A.R. port but I played it and it was fine.  Rainbow Six had a few problems supposedly but received great reviews despite those problems and played fine.  I enjoyed them both.

That said, NCAA for the PS3 was terribly slow compared to the previous PS2 versions.  I even decided to get the PS2 version and return the PS3 version.

If this Orange Box has problems closer to F.E.A.R. there shouldnt be a problem, especially since Portal seems to be working fine.  If the game runs closer to what NCAA did then there will be problems.

The one thing UT3 has going for it is the fact that it has mods.  There is no reason to trash Valve except for not knowing the value of the PS3.  They do make great games and the Orange Box is the best deal in videogame history.  The only better deal is the PC version which is not only $10 cheaper but includes all mods.  The game I've played the most on the PC besides Blizzard games is Counter-strike, which everyone knows was a mod of Halflife.

If the PS3 version does suck, just get it for the PC like I'm doing for Bioshock.  Steam is a great service anyway.  It's better than Games for Windows and Live and it's free.

I did play CoD4 on the PS3 and that game is great.  It's not as good a deal as The Orange Box, but it's fantastic. 

windbane said:

First of all, people complained about the F.E.A.R. port but I played it and it was fine. Rainbow Six had a few problems supposedly but received great reviews despite those problems and played fine. I enjoyed them both.

I believe the problem with F.E.A.R. was that it was pretty inferior to the 360 and PC versions. Not that I'm ever going to play it on the PS3 as I already have it on the PC. . . and I don't care much for the game itself anyway. 

I want to know why exclusives look beyond anything on the 360 or PC for that matter on the ps3. Bu multiplatforms look like 360 wash outs?

mM