By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Orange box hands on (1up)

There is a light in the tunnel. IGN claims port has flaws but it's definitely acceptable. Issues don't ruin the game.

Around the Network

Slowdown and frame rate issues were found in Portal, and episodes one and two of HL. Also, when picking up objects, the screen blurs badly on some occasions.

There is a difference from boycotting a game and not buying it. The game is garbage on the PS3.

I'll take the case!!!

Tetsuo Shima said:
There is a light in the tunnel. IGN claims port has flaws but it's definitely acceptable. Issues don't ruin the game.

He wrote that hands on preview before he played Portal. On the podcast, he said that the first five minutes of Portal had noticeable slowdown.

I'll take the case!!!

Harvey Birdman said:

There is a difference from boycotting a game and not buying it. The game is garbage on the PS3.

That's a shame. Still, what else can we expect with the development getting sent to EA?

You guys dont know how many games can run on the ps3 that EA have said cannot because they cant develop on the ps3.

mM
Around the Network
PS-She said:
Harvey Birdman said:

That's a shame. Still, what else can we expect with the development getting sent to EA?

EA has to prove to me that the games are equal in quality. Burnout Paradise may be the first. If they can't then they should drop the price of the game because i'm not buying a $60 PS3 game that can't give me the same experience as a $60 360 game.

I'll take the case!!!

Harvey Birdman said:
PS-She said:
Harvey Birdman said:

EA has to prove to me that the games are equal in quality. Burnout Paradise may be the first. If they can't then they should drop the price of the game because i'm not buying a $60 PS3 game that can't give me the same experience as a $60 360 game.

I agree.  Just FYI, Criterion Games is developing Burnout Paradise; EA is just doing the publishing.

PS3 Gamers just get the PC version. Its much better and the majority of PCs now can run it! Mods, custom maps, and better graphics and controls!

PC Gamer

Okay, It seems that 1up.com has placed their first impressions of the Orange Box very harshly against the PS3. Michael Mcwhertor from Kotaku has written a two part (probably soon to be three) impression of the PS3 Orange Box. He describes it as having some slow down and graphical glitches here and there, but does not describe having anything as bad as a slideshow going on infront of him.

Here is the link to the second part of the impression, which also has a link to the first impression.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/playstation-3/the-orange-box-ps3-impressions-volume-two-328149.php

"Having worked my way through the first three chapters of Half-Life 2: Episode Two, I stopped just before one of the episode's key vehicle sequences. This portion of the game was deemed one of the worst, in terms of technical performance. Assessments of those moments are mostly accurate. Yes, the frame rate takes some heavy dips, but at no point did it become unplayable. Slideshow? Nah. At least not for me.

Driving Episode Two's car through a wooded outdoor area, over a nicely rendered stream is where The Orange Box seems to perform at its worst. Fortunately, this section of the game is little more than a leisurely spin in the gutted car, and the game's graphics held up nicely during a more peril-filled driving scene.

There's no doubt that The Orange Box on the PlayStation 3 underperforms in this particular chapter, but it is not game breaking. Some will complain, some simply won't notice. Sorry, but I have little in the way of doom and gloom to serve up to you.

That said, there are a few more obvious hiccups in the second half of Episode Two. As in the first half, panning from side to side in certain levels quickly can cause a frame rate dip. Fortunately, during many of the more action packed moments, the game continues to perform admirably."