By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo launch in 2011-12 starting the next gen with monster power?

Should Nintendo launch in 2011-12 starting the next gen with monster power?

Launch in 2011- early 12 ... 115 63.89%

Launch in 2011, just larg... 42 23.33%

Re-release current Wii in 2011, just with HD 23 12.78%

Total:180
Mazty said:
hsrob said:

Mazty, I don't for a moment expect you to listen to me but one day you'll learn that games are more than feature lists and exercises in one-upping the competition. You have extremely strong negative preconceptions about certain kinds and genres of games, not to mention pretty much anything on the Wii which in the end is just robbing you of great gameplay experiences.

I can understand the Wii not being everyone's primary system but if you can say with a straight face that the Wii doesn't have a nice chunk of games that are must-plays for any serious gamer, then you need to hand in your gamer card because you're just not.

Okay I'm a hardcore gamer with years of playing benchmark games so what games do you think I should play on the wii?

Like I said.  Until you actually start listening to others, considering their points of view, all the game recommendations in the world aren't going to change anything.

Around the Network
Roma said:
Mazty said:

....How am I being ignorant??

Since when was the selling point of the Elder Scrolls game graphics???? The gameplay of Oblivion is really good and far deeper and more immersive than TP without being inaccessible...Your comment just leads me to believe you clearly know nothing of Oblivion.  How is Oblivion a sacrifice in gameplay for graphics????

Since when did I say the game HAD to have great graphics? It's graphics have to be acceptable, and in some games there is a higher demand on graphics, e.g. Gran Turismo, simulation games, FPS' to help with immersion or gameplay, whereas RTS' can get away with having worse graphics as graphics only help with immersion to a certain point.

Casual are people who look at a game and say it looks fun, e.g. Wii sports. Casual are people who play games not reguarly and don't care for staying up to date with game releases, asking for parrallex mapping etc.

Casual gamers don't care about graphics or the rest of the market, they just want some quick fun. Hardcore gamers are much more demanding as they should have a knowledge of the market and so ask for a game of high quality, and therefore to keep them entertained they cannot be given an average game as they most likely have played better/are looking for better.E.g. Take an RTS hardcore gamer.  I couldn't give him Total Annihilation and expect him to have fun as he knows the graphics are awful, the AI is pathetic, the unit cap is tiny and so on as, being a hardcore RTS gamer, he should have an expansive knowledge of the games on the market and would realise that Total Annihilation is nothing good nowadays. But if I gave it to a casual gamer they could probably have fun as they may not have played a game like it before and so find it challenging, in otherwords, not boring.

No you saying that why anyone would play OoT when they have TP and then saying why anyone would play that when they have Oblivion made me think better and better graphics.

No I don’t know much about Oblivion but neither do you about allot of the games you trash on the Wii as you clearly can’t see what good games are as you are to focused on the graphics :P

and i will ignore you now bye!

I would recommend Oblivion over TP because it is better in every way - I never said just because of the graphics.

Oh please, enlighten me to what games I don't know about.

Trash talking is making stuff up with you and Vaio have done admirably. I have corrected you on all your mistakes and you both just go off on tangents and have yet to tell me the benchmark offerings there are for the wii that is competition to their HD console counterpart offerings.

PS. Most subtle BS and bail evar....

hsrob said:
Mazty said:
hsrob said:

Mazty, I don't for a moment expect you to listen to me but one day you'll learn that games are more than feature lists and exercises in one-upping the competition. You have extremely strong negative preconceptions about certain kinds and genres of games, not to mention pretty much anything on the Wii which in the end is just robbing you of great gameplay experiences.

I can understand the Wii not being everyone's primary system but if you can say with a straight face that the Wii doesn't have a nice chunk of games that are must-plays for any serious gamer, then you need to hand in your gamer card because you're just not.

Okay I'm a hardcore gamer with years of playing benchmark games so what games do you think I should play on the wii?

Like I said.  Until you actually start listening to others, considering their points of view, all the game recommendations in the world aren't going to change anything.

...That's not an answer.

I've played Mario Karts, the sports games, party games, NSMB wii, SSBB and a few others.

What hardcore games would you recommend I should play? You offered and I'm willing to listen, so if you could answer your own proposal that'd be ace.

HappySqurriel said:

People didn’t buy the Wii as a rejection of better graphics or of certain genres of games, they bought the Wii to embrace its values; and the two most important values are accessible game-play  and local multiplayer. While I don’t have exact figures, somewhere around 60% to 65% of Million selling Wii games have significant 4-player local multiplayer modes; and at least half of the remaining million selling games have a local 2 player mode. I don’t think it would be outrageous to claim that local-multiplayer is the most important feature to gamers on the Wii, and yet it is the first feature dropped in most of the "Harcore" failures on the system; and no one ever thinks that there is a relationship there.

Pretty much all games from all systems show this same bias. In one way even if the coop is never used, the fact that a game has it lends positive weight to keeping the title in case you want to play it with friends later. This is the reason why I have been very critical of Sony not including local/coop play in their titles when they have instead gone for having the most graphically intensive games they can make. As the population of gamers increase then the assumption that it'll be one system for one gamer at one time is fading even faster and the larger screens can accomodate more players. This is especially true for the PS3 where you'll probably find it hooked up to the largest TV in the house as its media playback capabilities dictate, which is why Sony have been especially stupid in this regard.

Tease.

Mazty said:
hsrob said:
Mazty said:
hsrob said:

...That's not an answer.

I've played Mario Karts, the sports games, party games, NSMB wii, SSBB and a few others.

What hardcore games would you recommend I should play? You offered and I'm willing to listen, so if you could answer your own proposal that'd be ace.

Ok, before we go anywhere, what was your problem with Mario Kart Wii and SSBB?  Secondly, what sports games have you already played on the Wii? 

The reason I didn't give you straight answer to your question is because you have spent 6 pages not really listening to other people's answers to your questions.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Exactly what does going down the rabbit hole of improving graphics gain you in the marketplace? Nintendo showed NOT pursuing this path has been beneficial for them. So, one has to ask what do they gain by doing this. And DON'T think as a videogame fanboy either when trying to answer this.

Its not been successful because graphical improvements are bad, its been successful because the gameplay fundamentals they make are so good. In many ways their success has come inspite of the differing performance levels and this has not been a positive influence as it introduces dissonance in peoples minds about which system is appropriate, hence the large numbers of multi-console owners.

In the next generation it will be even more difficult to see a 3* improvement in performance due to diminishing returns. They have an advantage in that any system they release will be a huge jump over the previous generation and their support out of the gate will be astronomical. The PS3 showed how far you can get on goodwill alone, the next generation Wii console will likely show us how far you can get with effective leveraging of said goodwill.

By not selling their systems at a loss they are even more dangerous if they give people freedom to use their systems as they see fit. The likely next generation Wii will probably be as much a personal computer as console. Its easier to sell people a system and then sell them games than it is to sell them games to sell a system. Its the most obvious way to expand their market by making a console less proprietary and freeing up the imagination as to what tasks it can perform. This is the reason why I believe the Wii 2 will crush all next generation because Nintendo will learn from the successful tactics of Apple etc and throw open far greater possibilities.

Tease.

Mazty said:

And guess what none of you guys did? Answer my question, that's what.
So without digressing please name me a game on the wii which is seen as the benchmark for that genre across all platforms.

PS. Morrowinds draw distance on PC was still awful, Zelda is an RPG as you are role playing as another character, plus does Oblivion not have action, adventure/battle gameplay, and exploration as well as dungeons etc? It's like saying you can't compare Killzone and Halo as one has aliens and vehicles, the other does not, which of course is a damn stupid point. And to claim the HD consoles have done nothing that hasn't been done on PC is rubbish as Resistance 2 had a new weapon selection system, roamin way points, new co-op play etc, Killzone 2 int roduced changing game types mid-battle, class selection with primary and secondary perks that could be mixed etc. Gears of War made the cover-system shooter work, Uncharted is the most film-like games can get for now, Heavy Rain is great and immersive storytelling unlike any game before it and so on. Plus both consoles, but more the PS3, introduced media hubs to lounges, with easy PC streaming, not to mention BLURAY with the PS3. Saying the consoles did nothing shows how little you know of what you talk about.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=106008 go here for my response it's getting to cluttered in here lol

plus if you want to argue about anything else I am good with that to

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

hsrob said:
Mazty said:

...That's not an answer.

Ok, before we go anywhere, what was your problem with Mario Kart Wii and SSBB?  Secondly, what sports games have you already played on the Wii? 

The reason I didn't give you straight answer to your question is because you have spent 6 pages not really listening to other people's answers to your questions.

Mario Kart wii was just like all the other Mario Karts (other than double dash for the obvious reason), and having played Mario Karts since the Snes, it's getting pretty damn repetative, not to mention the BS of the blue shell rendering the game into either pure luck, or just grab the motorbike, stay in second, and wheely to the end.

Compare to something like WipeoutHD, the game has barely improved whatsoever in any considerable way.

SSBB is just a cluster **** of particle effects and pad mashing. Same as the others, and no way near as deep as a game like Naruto: Gekitō Ninja Taisen! 4 for the GC. Plus some of the levels are just ****** awful, but some do look nice. But still, bugger all improvement since the last, and hardly a benchmark game when games from the generation before it are far, far better (N:GNT4).

The sports games I have played are wii sports, wii fit, sonice olympics or whatever mascot: olympics and an actual olympics game, as well as an F1 game and a kiddy golf game. A lot of the sports games just use wii gestures which renders the immitation part of the sport as BS, while giving tear inducing crappy graphics.
That said I haven't used wii motion plus BUT my point still remains about wii gestures instead of real space tracking, and a trade off of graphics for pad movement, when the game is meant to be an immitation, so somewhat of a moot point because the closer you get to moving like the real thing, the game looks hardly like the real thing, whereas it's the opposite on the HD consoles.

Other peoples answers have been "hardcore gamers like the wii because it has hardcore games". Ive yet to be told what these games are.

Also i've been told that hardcore gamers like the wii because it is innovative as it offers a steering wheel and lightgun. Last I checked these accessories were available on all the consoles. Therefore how can it be innovative when it's not offering anything new?

Squilliam said:
richardhutnik said:
Exactly what does going down the rabbit hole of improving graphics gain you in the marketplace? Nintendo showed NOT pursuing this path has been beneficial for them. So, one has to ask what do they gain by doing this. And DON'T think as a videogame fanboy either when trying to answer this.

Its not been successful because graphical improvements are bad, its been successful because the gameplay fundamentals they make are so good. In many ways their success has come inspite of the differing performance levels and this has not been a positive influence as it introduces dissonance in peoples minds about which system is appropriate, hence the large numbers of multi-console owners.

In the next generation it will be even more difficult to see a 3* improvement in performance due to diminishing returns. They have an advantage in that any system they release will be a huge jump over the previous generation and their support out of the gate will be astronomical. The PS3 showed how far you can get on goodwill alone, the next generation Wii console will likely show us how far you can get with effective leveraging of said goodwill.

By not selling their systems at a loss they are even more dangerous if they give people freedom to use their systems as they see fit. The likely next generation Wii will probably be as much a personal computer as console. Its easier to sell people a system and then sell them games than it is to sell them games to sell a system. Its the most obvious way to expand their market by making a console less proprietary and freeing up the imagination as to what tasks it can perform. This is the reason why I believe the Wii 2 will crush all next generation because Nintendo will learn from the successful tactics of Apple etc and throw open far greater possibilities.

As much as I think the iPod has shown value in producing a more open(ish) platform, and I think there is massive potential in giving people increased freedom in using their home consoles how they want to, I would personally advise Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to keep this open-platform very restricted. What I would personally do is produce a "Homebrew" channel that was essentially a Linux virtual machine that could run Java applications on. By limiting it to Java applications that are running on top of the virtual machine the underlying hardware would be entirely abstracted from the developer, and the likelihood that they could find an exploit to generate a soft-mod would be fairly minimal; and even if some software damaged "the system" you could easily uninstall and reinstall the VM. The primary downside to an approach like this is that the over-head would drastically reduce the performance of most applications, but with how much processing power these systems could have that isn’t much of a concern.

HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:

As much as I think the iPod has shown value in producing a more open(ish) platform, and I think there is massive potential in giving people increased freedom in using their home consoles how they want to, I would personally advise Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to keep this open-platform very restricted. What I would personally do is produce a "Homebrew" channel that was essentially a Linux virtual machine that could run Java applications on. By limiting it to Java applications that are running on top of the virtual machine the underlying hardware would be entirely abstracted from the developer, and the likelihood that they could find an exploit to generate a soft-mod would be fairly minimal; and even if some software damaged "the system" you could easily uninstall and reinstall the VM. The primary downside to an approach like this is that the over-head would drastically reduce the performance of most applications, but with how much processing power these systems could have that isn’t much of a concern.

In terms of using something like Java it would essentially be the same operating environment as the iPhone. There would be essentially no difference between a Nintendo app store and an iPhone app store aside from the obviously vast differences in available performance. In terms of mainline apps it would remain very restriced but Nintendo as a whole doesn't need to even sell games to make the system profitable and they can use the reverse strategy of selling the systems in order to then upstream these customers into buying games. Its a very effective counter to the razor/blades model and it effectively turns the tables on any other console manufacturer who tries to make a performance behemoth and then sell it restricted and under cost.

Tease.