By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo launch in 2011-12 starting the next gen with monster power?

Should Nintendo launch in 2011-12 starting the next gen with monster power?

Launch in 2011- early 12 ... 115 63.89%

Launch in 2011, just larg... 42 23.33%

Re-release current Wii in 2011, just with HD 23 12.78%

Total:180
Mazty said:
Roma said:
Mazty said:

Christ - Hardware limits important features like AI, graphics., physics etc and stop trying to pretend graphics don't matter. In every game graphic are important for immersion, and in some more important due to realism being a factor, e.g. sports games.

The wii is far, far worse than the other consoles, so don't say something innane like comparing the minor differences in power between the consoles of the last generation.

Super Mario Galazy is a great platformer I won't argue that, nor that No more Heros (totally forgot about it) is a by any stetch bad, BUT the conduit is ******* awful and Metroid Prime is a resounding meh. Plus even looking at no more heroes, does it do anything new or interesting? Nothing that pops to mind, and this is my point. The wii is fine for casual gamers, but for the hardcore who like to see game development and such, the wii offers nothing more than a versatile pad that's a basic pad, light gun and steering wheel combined, with some sketchy motions.

LBP is kiddy, so I'm not going to argue there, but it just does more for the genre then Super Mario Galaxy, as it has full physics, online map making & sharing, online play and so on.

Unfortunaly with you and Vaio you clearly have played very, very few "hardcore" games as you haven't been aware of how many 360/PS3 games have raised the benchmark for game genres.

Far, far worse in your opinion maybe

And no the hard wear does not limit what type of games it can do like “hardcore” or “casual”

All those limitations you are talking about did not hinder the PS2 to have hardcore games. Well yes I will compare old and new hard ware to prove you wrong. If hardcore games could be done on PS2 then they can be done on Wii.

AI and graphics aren’t only limited to hard wear but also how much effort the developers want to put in the games.

Look at Monster hunter and Mario Galaxy and some other games. Mario has even been said to be comparable graphically to many of the HD games  

Yes the Conduit is crap but crap does not mean it is not for the hardcore which is why I included it in the first place.  

So let’s say a hardcore game from the past has been ported to the Wii will it automatically turn in to a casual game? like RF4 or Okami? Are they not hardcore?

No the graphics are far, far worse because wii games have no AA and a 480p resolution as well as no procedurals etc.

Hardware doesn't limit what genre the console can do, but it serverly limits it. Take FPS' for an example. In an FPS a key element for it to be good is to have good AI - the CPU limits this and as the wii CPU is attrocious, the AI is very limited, and therefore is likely not to present a challenge to hardcore players, therefore making the game boring, rendering the point of the game a waste.

The PS2 had hardcore games BUT gamers expectations have increased since last generation, meaning if you were to port a hardcore game to the wii, say Killzone, all hardcore gamers would say it's a pile of **** because the AI is bad, the graphics are bad etc. This is because games are judged to what is around them at the time of release and prior. So in that sense however, a game like Shadow of the Colossus is still amazing, although it is graphically pants, because there has not been a game like it since. However when Last Guardian is released, gamers expectations may again rise, therefore rendering Shadow of the Colossus, like many other games, good for their time.

No, Mario Galaxy is no way near the graphics of games like Heavy Rain, Gears of War etc. There's no point arguing this, the hardware speaks for itself.

True the Conduit is for hardcore gamers, but the wii seems to lack good games for quality gamers which is my point.

As for porting the an old ps2 game to the wii, see the third para.

I thought Killzone was a piece of crap from the start or so I’ve heard so of course they are going to say it is crap if it gets ported :P

If they ported OoT to the Wii It would still be one hell of a game.

So you admit that the Wii has hardcore games even though you said that it can’t handle hardcore games :P if that work in your head then sure whatever you say.

It is not me who is saying that Galaxy is comparable to some of the HD games it is the critics plus you should know better than to compare a cartoonish game to realistic ones. :P  

What you did with Vaios game list clearly show how ignorant and biased you are against Nintendo. If Sony did them you would love them :P

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
Mazty said:
vaio said:
Mazty said:

Someone's got too much spare time, plus that list is thoroughly unimpressive as most the games are multiplatform, not to mention you've played no PS3 exclusives.

I couldn't be arsed going through your entire list, but if there is an exclusive on the 360 or PS3 I've most likely played it, and likely to have completed it as well and given multiplayer and long spin. As for the Wii I've played Wii party, Sport, Fit, SSBBWii, NSMB, Mario Kart, Speed Racer, Big Brain Academy, House of the Dead, Super Mario Galaxy, F1 something and so on.

Guess what - none of the wii games you've mentioned are genre benchmarks so WHY woudl a hardcore gamer own a wii? Certainly not for the hardcore games, that's for sure.

Ps check ouy my collection - all done and dusted, and most are reguarded as benchmark games, so I know what I'm on about.

I hve played a few of them but since i dont own one i dont get much playtime with it. It´s not worth the money it costs I am only interested in the gaming maching part as the rest ps3 offers if of no value so when it cost 199 with move controllers I wont be buying one.

So sad for you not wanting or event trying to expand your gaming experiences.

Wii sports was never meant to be a perfect execution of their sports and it does what it was meant to do perfecly just as just dance does, the day you can appriciate games that doesnt appeal to you the most and games without the best graphics you will never be a real gamer and a hardcore gamer.

A hardcore gamer plays any game that is remotly good and doesnt limit himself to hardware or graphics, the sort of plyer you are is a hardcore graphics whore player (the same I used to be) and you are in such minoroty and your gaming world will keep gettting smaller.

I never said any of those should have been it was a list to show how versatile my gaming experience is versus yours pathetic little world of gaming.

You know shit as you prove all the time, to know about gaming you have to open your doors for all games even the ones you dont like then you have a valid opinion, untill then you have a very narrow and limited opinion.

Get back to me when you have become a real gamer and a hardcore one, you know one that doesnt limit himself in any way and plays most if not everything out there.

Have fun in your narrow world.

1)What the hell...? English please

2)Erm how did you come to that idea? I've played almost all the major games on all the platforms since last gen - how is that me not trying to expand my gaming experiences?

3)So if wii sports is not trying to be an accurate representation of sportm what does it offer over something like Virtua Tennis? It's not about it not appealing to me - I'm asking you why should I play wii tennis over virtua tennis?

4)No a hardcore gamer is one who demands the utter best from the game he is playing in comparison to all the other games on the market. I never said the hardcore gamer limits what he plays, but he does take into account the graphics etc as this is part of the game.How am I a graphics whore? If I play something like Forza, or Tiger Woods, something that's trying to be realistic, how is it then unreasonable to ask for realisitic graphics (in terms of gaming, not industry CGI) for immersion? Plus if I'm a minority, then how come over 70 million HD consoles have been sold?

5)Nice BS of last three paragraphs. So without futher a-do, why would a hardcore gamer choose a wii over the HD consoles or even a PC? The wii isn't for the hardcore, even Nintendo have admitted this so I have no idea why you are being so arrogant over it.

obviously its not only your gaming habits that are limited, understanding seems to be limited too.

Hardcore gamer thinks about games first and the rest later, you think graphic=good game wich is graphics whore thinking.

Wii is not a hardcore gmaing console only so it will never appeal to hardcore gamers only that why you have it winning the console wars, just like PS2 won because it was appealing to most gamers.

Any gamer that chooses the wii hardcore,core casual or new gamer is doing so for the experience not the graphics, its an experience you cant get from the other two yet (meybe never will either) but you cant compute that in your small sad world thats why you keep asking the same questions over and over again even when you have been given the answer.

Nice trolling counting 2 consoles against one, is that what you have to resort too to make your self relevant? In my post with games you diss the 360 games but when you need to you count the 360 as in your corner? pathetic and stupid to do so.

When your precious ps3 comes close to the wii then you might have an argument untill then you need the help of 360 to make one and that in it self should tell you you are in minoroty.

Have fun we are done here as you wont ever try and understand something you dont agree with.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Roma said:
Mazty said:

No the graphics are far, far worse because wii games have no AA and a 480p resolution as well as no procedurals etc.

Hardware doesn't limit what genre the console can do, but it serverly limits it. Take FPS' for an example. In an FPS a key element for it to be good is to have good AI - the CPU limits this and as the wii CPU is attrocious, the AI is very limited, and therefore is likely not to present a challenge to hardcore players, therefore making the game boring, rendering the point of the game a waste.

The PS2 had hardcore games BUT gamers expectations have increased since last generation, meaning if you were to port a hardcore game to the wii, say Killzone, all hardcore gamers would say it's a pile of **** because the AI is bad, the graphics are bad etc. This is because games are judged to what is around them at the time of release and prior. So in that sense however, a game like Shadow of the Colossus is still amazing, although it is graphically pants, because there has not been a game like it since. However when Last Guardian is released, gamers expectations may again rise, therefore rendering Shadow of the Colossus, like many other games, good for their time.

No, Mario Galaxy is no way near the graphics of games like Heavy Rain, Gears of War etc. There's no point arguing this, the hardware speaks for itself.

True the Conduit is for hardcore gamers, but the wii seems to lack good games for quality gamers which is my point.

I thought Killzone was a piece of crap from the start or so I’ve heard so of course they are going to say it is crap if it gets ported :P

So you admit that the Wii has hardcore games even though you said that it can’t handle hardcore games :P if that work in your head then sure whatever you say.

It is not me who is saying that Galaxy is comparable to some of the HD games it is the critics plus you should know better than to compare a cartoonish game to realistic ones. :P  

What you did with Vaios game list clearly show how ignorant and biased you are against Nintendo. If Sony did them you would love them :P

Nah Killzone wasn't a Halo beater, but by no means was it crap.

Hum, OoT would look awful and I couldn't think of a reason someone should play it over TP, but then I can't think of a reason someone should play TP over Oblivion etc.

Well the wii can try to appeal to the hardcore, but it simply doesn't have the hardware to meet the demands that hardcore gamers ask for such as advanced AI, good animation, long levels, good graphics (somewhat vital for an FPS when you take draw distance, object recognistion etc into account).

I've learnt to ignore critics after some of them say the most idiotic crap I've heard and are far from being unbiased. In any case, 480p and no AA is just going to look bad compared to any decent game on the HD consoles, but that's not to say the game is bad.

What I did with Vaios game list was to read through the games, and most were multiplatform, and very few benchmark games on the list. Considering I've played most of the games on that last, I can't really see how I was being ignorant - lazy, yes, ignorant, no.

Mazty said:
Roma said:
Mazty said:

Hum, OoT would look awful and I couldn't think of a reason someone should play it over TP, but then I can't think of a reason someone should play TP over Oblivion etc.

Well the wii can try to appeal to the hardcore, but it simply doesn't have the hardware to meet the demands that hardcore gamers ask for such as advanced AI, good animation, long levels, good graphics (somewhat vital for an FPS when you take draw distance, object recognistion etc into account).

I've learnt to ignore critics after some of them say the most idiotic crap I've heard and are far from being unbiased. In any case, 480p and no AA is just going to look bad compared to any decent game on the HD consoles, but that's not to say the game is bad.

What I did with Vaios game list was to read through the games, and most were multiplatform, and very few benchmark games on the list. Considering I've played most of the games on that last, I can't really see how I was being ignorant - lazy, yes, ignorant, no.

Well of course you can’t see that you were ignorant as you can’t even see when your wrong. :P

And why the hell would I play Oblivion over any Zelda game? me as a gamer I’m not looking at the graphics as the first thing. The important thing for a hardcore gamer is the game play not how the thing looks. Sure I want good graphics but I would not take that over good game play.

A game could have great AI and Great graphics yet suck but clearly for you if the game does not have good graphics then it is not hardcore and it is not a good game.

What casual is, is people who look at the game and if it looks good graphically then they want to play it and then they will find out if it is good or not but that is the last thing they think about :P     

Well of course you can’t see that you were ignorant as you can’t even see when your wrong. :P

And why the hell would I play Oblivion over any Zelda game? me as a gamer I’m not looking at the graphics as the first thing. The important thing for a hardcore gamer is the game pay not how the thing looks. Sure I want good graphics but I would not take that over good game play.

A game could have great AI and Great graphics yet suck but clearly for you if the game does not have good graphics then it is not hardcore and it is not a good game.

What casual is people who look at the game and if it looks good graphically then they want to play it and then they will find out if it is good or not but that is the last thing they think about :P     

Mazty, I don't for a moment expect you to listen to me but one day you'll learn that games are more than feature lists and exercises in one-upping the competition. You have extremely strong negative preconceptions about certain kinds and genres of games, not to mention pretty much anything on the Wii which in the end is just robbing you of great gameplay experiences.

I can understand the Wii not being everyone's primary system but if you can say with a straight face that the Wii doesn't have a nice chunk of games that are must-plays for any serious gamer, then you need to hand in your gamer card because you're just not.

Around the Network

Wii is better than HD consoles. Games like GOW, FF13, Halo, GTA4 and Oblivion aren't benchmarks of any genre, and they're actually really bad. I don't see why anyone would ever want to play them over, say, Link's Awakening. Therefore, Nintendo >>>>>>> Microsoft and Sony.

/sarcasm

See? I can have an opinion and act like it's fact, too.

In all seriousness now, can we stop this senseless discussion? It's going nowhere. If people want to be ignorant, let them, no use trying to let them think any other way: they won't.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Roma said:
Mazty said:

And why the hell would I play Oblivion over any Zelda game? me as a gamer I’m not looking at the graphics as the first thing. The important thing for a hardcore gamer is the game pay not how the thing looks. Sure I want good graphics but I would not take that over good game play.

What casual is, is people who look at the game and if it looks good graphically then they want to play it and then they will find out if it is good or not but that is the last thing they think about :P     

What casual is people who look at the game and if it looks good graphically then they want to play it and then they will find out if it is good or not but that is the last thing they think about :P     

....How am I being ignorant??

Since when was the selling point of the Elder Scrolls game graphics???? The gameplay of Oblivion is really good and far deeper and more immersive than TP without being inaccessible...Your comment just leads me to believe you clearly know nothing of Oblivion.  How is Oblivion a sacrifice in gameplay for graphics????

Since when did I say the game HAD to have great graphics? It's graphics have to be acceptable, and in some games there is a higher demand on graphics, e.g. Gran Turismo, simulation games, FPS' to help with immersion or gameplay, whereas RTS' can get away with having worse graphics as graphics only help with immersion to a certain point.

Casual are people who look at a game and say it looks fun, e.g. Wii sports. Casual are people who play games not reguarly and don't care for staying up to date with game releases, asking for parrallex mapping etc.

Casual gamers don't care about graphics or the rest of the market, they just want some quick fun. Hardcore gamers are much more demanding as they should have a knowledge of the market and so ask for a game of high quality, and therefore to keep them entertained they cannot be given an average game as they most likely have played better/are looking for better.E.g. Take an RTS hardcore gamer.  I couldn't give him Total Annihilation and expect him to have fun as he knows the graphics are awful, the AI is pathetic, the unit cap is tiny and so on as, being a hardcore RTS gamer, he should have an expansive knowledge of the games on the market and would realise that Total Annihilation is nothing good nowadays. But if I gave it to a casual gamer they could probably have fun as they may not have played a game like it before and so find it challenging, in otherwords, not boring.

hsrob said:

Mazty, I don't for a moment expect you to listen to me but one day you'll learn that games are more than feature lists and exercises in one-upping the competition. You have extremely strong negative preconceptions about certain kinds and genres of games, not to mention pretty much anything on the Wii which in the end is just robbing you of great gameplay experiences.

I can understand the Wii not being everyone's primary system but if you can say with a straight face that the Wii doesn't have a nice chunk of games that are must-plays for any serious gamer, then you need to hand in your gamer card because you're just not.

Okay I'm a hardcore gamer with years of playing benchmark games so what games do you think I should play on the wii?

vaio said:

obviously its not only your gaming habits that are limited, understanding seems to be limited too.

Hardcore gamer thinks about games first and the rest later, you think graphic=good game wich is graphics whore thinking.

Wii is not a hardcore gmaing console only so it will never appeal to hardcore gamers only that why you have it winning the console wars, just like PS2 won because it was appealing to most gamers.

Any gamer that chooses the wii hardcore,core casual or new gamer is doing so for the experience not the graphics, its an experience you cant get from the other two yet (meybe never will either) but you cant compute that in your small sad world thats why you keep asking the same questions over and over again even when you have been given the answer.

Nice trolling counting 2 consoles against one, is that what you have to resort too to make your self relevant? In my post with games you diss the 360 games but when you need to you count the 360 as in your corner? pathetic and stupid to do so.

When your precious ps3 comes close to the wii then you might have an argument untill then you need the help of 360 to make one and that in it self should tell you you are in minoroty.

Have fun we are done here as you wont ever try and understand something you dont agree with.

Please find where I said graphics = good game.

And I'm going to stop talking with you as that BS comment from you shows you are nothing more than a troll.

Mazty said:
Roma said:
Mazty said:

....How am I being ignorant??

Since when was the selling point of the Elder Scrolls game graphics???? The gameplay of Oblivion is really good and far deeper and more immersive than TP without being inaccessible...Your comment just leads me to believe you clearly know nothing of Oblivion.  How is Oblivion a sacrifice in gameplay for graphics????

Since when did I say the game HAD to have great graphics? It's graphics have to be acceptable, and in some games there is a higher demand on graphics, e.g. Gran Turismo, simulation games, FPS' to help with immersion or gameplay, whereas RTS' can get away with having worse graphics as graphics only help with immersion to a certain point.

Casual are people who look at a game and say it looks fun, e.g. Wii sports. Casual are people who play games not reguarly and don't care for staying up to date with game releases, asking for parrallex mapping etc.

Casual gamers don't care about graphics or the rest of the market, they just want some quick fun. Hardcore gamers are much more demanding as they should have a knowledge of the market and so ask for a game of high quality, and therefore to keep them entertained they cannot be given an average game as they most likely have played better/are looking for better.E.g. Take an RTS hardcore gamer.  I couldn't give him Total Annihilation and expect him to have fun as he knows the graphics are awful, the AI is pathetic, the unit cap is tiny and so on as, being a hardcore RTS gamer, he should have an expansive knowledge of the games on the market and would realise that Total Annihilation is nothing good nowadays. But if I gave it to a casual gamer they could probably have fun as they may not have played a game like it before and so find it challenging, in otherwords, not boring.

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

No you saying that why anyone would play OoT when they have TP and then saying why anyone would play that when they have Oblivion made me think better and better graphics.

No I don’t know much about Oblivion but neither do you about allot of the games you trash on the Wii as you clearly can’t see what good games are as you are to focused on the graphics :P

and i will ignore you now bye!