By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

Anyway I don't get why people who call GTA:CW a flop doesnt compare its sales to the previous GTA on a Nintendo handheld like GTA1 and GTA2 on GB and GTA on GBA, I mean I'm pretty sure those games havent sold millions plus it was on a similar userbase.

So much hypocrisy on that thread.

Around the Network
atma998 said:
Anyway I don't get why people who call GTA:CW a flop doesnt compare its sales to the previous GTA on a Nintendo handheld like GTA1 and GTA2 on GB and GTA on GBA, I mean I'm pretty sure those games havent sold millions plus it was on a similar userbase.

So much hypocrisy on that thread.

I think the argument is Nintendo systems made them sell so poorly, not that the games likely didn't appeal to many people.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

atma998 said:
phenom08 said:

well if you compare the first gtas to gta:cw, since they were alot closer to each other then the lastest gtas, then the ratios would be alot closer and like I said if it falls short it falls short psp falling 25 million below isn't close to me so no on that and ps3 selling 80 million is my bet so 20 million units behind again not very close in my opinion so flops confirmed

lol

He didnt called the PSP go! a flop so I don't think he will call the PS3 a flop either. Anyway those are Sony consoles so don't expect him to say anything bad about it.

You can think they are flops, that's okay... Your opinion. Just like me and others think GTA:CW is a flop

And PSP Go is probably the biggest hardware flop this gen. It's actually amusing you compare it's situation to the PS3's tbh... And red - Are you blind? In THIS THREAD i even said CW on PSP is a flop ¬_¬

Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:
phenom08 said:

well if you compare the first gtas to gta:cw, since they were alot closer to each other then the lastest gtas, then the ratios would be alot closer and like I said if it falls short it falls short psp falling 25 million below isn't close to me so no on that and ps3 selling 80 million is my bet so 20 million units behind again not very close in my opinion so flops confirmed

lol

He didnt called the PSP go! a flop so I don't think he will call the PS3 a flop either. Anyway those are Sony consoles so don't expect him to say anything bad about it.

You can think they are flops, that's okay... Your opinion. Just like me and others think GTA:CW is a flop

And PSP Go is probably the biggest hardware flop this gen. It's actually amusing you compare it's situation to the PS3's tbh... And red - Are you blind, or just acting dumb on purpose? In THIS THREAD i even said CW on PSP is a flop ¬_¬

No carl thats not what I think at all, I don't believe the ps3 or psp are flops just like i don't  believe GTA:CW is a flop but, I do agree on the pspgo is a flop although i always thought sony only released it to make money so in a sense its probably doing its job and not meant to compete with the DS, i think both the ps3 and 360 are both great consoles i had all three of them and if I wasn't a broke college student i would still have my ps3, which i sold to my brother so I still have it. I'm comparing them because I don't expect the ps3 to finish much above the psp.

phenom08 said:

No carl thats not what I think at all, I don't believe the ps3 or psp are flops just like i don't  believe GTA:CW is a flop but, I do agree on the pspgo is a flop although i always thought sony only released it to make money so in a sense its probably doing its job and not meant to compete with the DS, i think both the ps3 and 360 are both great consoles i had all three of them and if I wasn't a broke college student i would still have my ps3, which i sold to my brother so I still have it. I'm comparing them because I don't expect the ps3 to finish much above the psp.

The comparing PSP Go situation to PS3 situation was aimed at atma, i just quoted his to make it easier. Sorry for the confusion on that.

Around the Network

How high will GTA: Chinatown Wars end up selling on the DS when all is said and done, do you think? Will it hit 1.5 million?

Bah!

Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:
phenom08 said:

lol

And PSP Go is probably the biggest hardware flop this gen. It's actually amusing you compare it's situation to the PS3's tbh... And red - Are you blind? In THIS THREAD i even said CW on PSP is a flop ¬_¬

I think it's all about your definition of what can be considered as a flop.

If you think a flop is when a company doesnt make profit - like you said about the PSP go! - then you must be consistent with yourself and admit that the PS3 is a flop and that GTA:CW isnt a flop.

As for my own definition of what is a flop, I don't think the PS3 is a flop, but I think the PSP go! is a total flop so far, even if Sony is doing profit on each unit sold.

In short, it's all about being consistent with yourself, your standards must be the same for Nintendo and Sony when talking about flop. Because as of right now it looks like you are totally biased.

p.s. Also you didnt answered about why you didnt compared GTA:CW to GTA1 and 2 (GB) and GTA (GBA). It makes more sense to compare it with those 3 games since it's on a comparable userbase and it's GTA on a Nintendo portable device). Even if we doesnt have clear numbers, we can assume it doesnt sell millions right?

atma998 said:

If you think a flop is when a company doesnt make profit - like you said about the PSP go! - then you must be consistent with yourself and admit that the PS3 is a flop and that GTA:CW isnt a flop.

As for my own definition of what is a flop, I don't think the PS3 is a flop, but I think the PSP go! is a total flop so far, even if Sony is doing profit on each unit sold.

In short, it's all about being consistent with yourself, your standards must be the same for Nintendo and Sony when talking about flop. Because as of right now it looks like you are totally biased.

p.s. Also you didnt answered about why you didnt compared GTA:CW to GTA1 and 2 (GB) and GTA (GBA). It makes more sense to compare it with those 3 games since it's on a comparable userbase and it's GTA on a Nintendo portable device). Even if we doesnt have clear numbers, we can assume it doesnt sell millions right?

I'm not talking profit. I'm talking sales. I explained that eariler in this thread somewhere i think (may have been a different thread)... And i actually said the PS3 is (or will be) a flop as far as profits go.

And i didn't compare it to them because they were ports of the PC/PSone versions with very minimal marketting, if any at all... Weren't they? Correct me if i'm wrong. Not straight up developed primarily FOR the GB. While the DS game is one straight up developed for the DS... And was classed/advertised a DS exclusive for some time.

Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:

I'm not talking profit. I'm talking sales. I explained that eariler in this thread somewhere i think (may have been a different thread)... And i actually said the PS3 is (or will be) a flop as far as profits go.

And i didn't compare it to them because they were ports of the PC/PSone versions with very minimal marketting, if any at all... Weren't they? Correct me if i'm wrong. Not straight up developed primarily FOR the GB. While the DS game is one straight up developed for the DS... And was classed/advertised a DS exclusive for some time.

So if I understand well, if it doesnt fit your own personnal pre-selected conditions it shouldnt be taken into consideration? Even if the games shares a same kind and size of userbase and if they are handheld games? Because we all know that console games and handheld games follow the same kind of trend when looking at their respective sales... 

And why did you suddenly changed your standards when you were talking about GTA:CW vs. PSP go! (Profit vs. sales)?

atma998 said:

So if I understand well, if it doesnt fit your own personnal pre-selected conditions it shouldnt be taken into consideration? Even if the games shares a same kind and size of userbase and if they are handheld games? Because we all know that console games and handheld games follow the same kind of trend when looking at their respective sales... 

And why did you suddenly changed your standards when you were talking about GTA:CW vs. PSP go! (Profit vs. sales)?

Eh? I have said from the start that it is a sales flop, and not a profit flop. We can't know if it IS a profit flop as we don't know dev costs and we can't really say if 1 Million was enough (especially when a whole bunch of that Million has been at bargain price).

I only brought up profits with PSP Go as it is pretty obvious with the price they are selling for (along with the price of the content on PSN) that it is making Sony some money.