By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

Really, this thread should be re-titled "How GTA's fan base let down the franchise."

Because at the end of the day the argument we keep getting is that this is the biggest non-Nintendo ip out there, but it didn't sell. If that's the case, it was up to GTA's fans to buy the game, and they did not go out purchasing DS's to do so. Instead, 1,000,000 Nintendo fans went out and bought a game that they historically have had no interest in.

So I call that a success of the DS and Rockstar, and a MASSIVE FAILURE OF THE GTA HARDCORE.

Way to let your series down.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network

CW was a GTA experiment, it didn't have those huge budget than home console GTAs normally have, so stop comparing sales.
CW on PSP didn't even reached half a million yet, and on PSP case it's a game that is being sold packeted with the console, that is more failure...

DavidValbu said:
CW was a GTA experiment, it didn't have those huge budget than home console GTAs normally have, so stop comparing sales.
CW on PSP didn't even reached half a million yet, and on PSP case it's a game that is being sold packeted with the console, that is more failure...

But see, the sales are low because of Piracy..DS' sales are 1m but is still a flop because of 'userbase'. Even though DS' piracy rate is quite large.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I buy games that I like and have fun with, not because its "hardcore" and all the cool kids are doing it.

Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:

It's still 8 Million units of top-down GTA's. Of which we know GTA and GTA2 will have been the biggest sellers. likely 2/3 Million between them... Probably making VGC figures bang on the mark (with PC included).

The remaining 3 Million units would have been the 2 expansions, and whatever the GB games did.

Makes more than enough sense to me.

Except it doesn't.  Your point completly disapears now.  Your saying the GTA numbers are right with the PC numbers included.  So it's about 1 million per console.

Not to mention there was a dreamcast version of GTA2, and those handheld releases were in fact GTA 1 &2.  Also the compilation pack for the PS1.

Either way by the numbers... espeically if you we go by YOUR numbers that give the PS1 releases such high numbers.... your average mean for sales of a GTA top down game are WELL below 1 million.  The PSP is a success by comparison.

My point doesn't disappear at all, as you are just averaging between the systems they were on. It's VERY, VERY unlikely the DC or GB versions sold even half as well as the PC or PSone versions. You know this...

Anyway,this has dragged on for long enough and i've even had hate mail... The simple fact is, it has sold subpar for a GTA game. Fact. You can't argue this. The following quote puts it perfectly...

"GTA 3 -11 million

GTA VC -14 million

GTA SA -20 million

GTA IV -13 million

GTA CW -1 million....

......on the best selling system ever. Yeah it's not a flop at all."

Now, i need to go play some CoD

ROFL

This is the most hilarious post I've seen so far. When a guy is biased he can go very far to try to justify his position.

LAME.

Around the Network

Holy crap! I only got to read the comments up to page 19 before I couldn't take it anymore.

So many stupid comments. . . . .
It's ridiculous. . . .

Anyone who thought the game flopped just wanted it to flop not because it was a flop.....

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I loved the hell out of CW, completed it 100%. I'm one of the guys who liked the old school GTA's more than the newer ones. (I loved San Andreas though). CW is the perfect example of a game that was pirated though. A game targetted at an older audience on the DS is going to see a lot of interested parties with flash cards. I feel like it would have sold twice as much if this wasn't the case. DS's are just too easy to hack.

I'm pretty sure PSP sales weren't better than DS sales. If you go by install base it sold just as well to PSP owners. I can't understand how there is so much harping on the DS. Far more DS owners picked up the game without a GTA background than PSP owners with a GTA background and older demographic. Either way, you can't expect a handheld title with a far smaller budget to match a far far higher budget console game in sales. You also have to factor in the fact that there are tons of good DS games for DS owners to buy while consoles have a more limited library and a game like GTA stands out far more.

atma998 said:

ROFL

This is the most hilarious post I've seen so far. When a guy is biased he can go very far to try to justify his position.

LAME.

"Biased"... Coming from you? lol

And i notice you didn't even attempt to refute what i said... As it was nothing but the truth

Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:

ROFL

LAME.

"Biased"... Coming from you? lol

And i notice you didn't even attempt to refute what i said... As it was nothing but the truth

lol I tought you were done with this thread...

Ok then you want me to ''refute'' what you said, let's do that your way:

Gran Turismo 3: 14.89M

Gran Turismo: 10.85M

Gran Turismo 4: 10.52M

Gran Turismo 2: 9.37M

Gran Turismo PSP: 1.17M

From a guy who said GT:PSP wasnt a flop, this is even more funny.

Biased indeed.