By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

Carl2291 said:
Barozi said:
Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:

Does Take 2 count?

In there recomendation to not sell to EA, they state they've sold 70 million in the GTA franchise up to March 2008.

From 2001 - 2008 they've sold 66 million copies.

That leaves a total of 4 million total, for GTA PS/PC, GTA2 PS/PC,GTA London 1969 PS/PC AND GTA London 1961 PS/PC.

The problem being of course that the PS numbers for GTA 1&2 alone are over 4 million.

http://apps.shareholder.com/sec/viewerContent.aspx?companyid=TTWO&docid=5824614

Unless those 6 pieces of software sold negative amounts... it's pretty obvious the VGchartz numbers are a bit high... and keep in mind this is shipped.  Considering europe was more PC based then console based then... it's even generous to say they sold about a million a piece.

It says "over" 70 Million. Not 70 Million exactly. So it's anywhere from 70-74, probably.

Which probably means that the PC sales for GTA (and the expansions) are tied into the PSone sales, which is like we have the FFVII data.

Which still means, the original top-down GTA's would have sold better than this...

According to this: http://www.gamershell.com/news_11876.html

There are about 8 million copies shipped for GTA, the mission packs and GTA 2.

Although I think a source from the publisher is more reliable, you have definitely a point.

Rock* saying that would tie into the 70-74 Million thing i said.

So it is VERY probable that the top-down PSone/PC GTA's did sell much better than Chinatown Wars

To be honest I didn't even list all the GTA releases.

There was also a PS compilation release,  A couple Gameboy releases and a gameboy advance release.  The gameboy releases had to do well enough, that they kept releasing them.

Although I think Rockstar was just off on the numbers.  T2 would of said 74 million if it was 74 million instead of over 70,  Hell they would of said 75 million. (Or at least nearly a 75 million.)

They were fighting a takeover.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:

So it is VERY probable that the top-down PSone/PC GTA's did sell much better than Chinatown Wars

There was also a PS compilation release,  A couple Gameboy releases and a gameboy advance release.

Although I think Rockstar was just off on the numbers.  T2 would of said 74 million if it was 74 million instead of over 70,  Hell they would of said 75 million.

The link Barozi provided says that Rock* says that 8 Million of GTA/Expansions and GTA2 were shipped. No idea on the numbers for the GB releases...

It's likely we will never have accurate data from them, but from what we have seen... They still sold better than CW has currently sold, so...?

If GTA is the definition of "hardcore", I'm glad the DS is casual.

Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:

There was also a PS compilation release,  A couple Gameboy releases and a gameboy advance release.

Although I think Rockstar was just off on the numbers.  T2 would of said 74 million if it was 74 million instead of over 70,  Hell they would of said 75 million.

The link Barozi provided says that Rock* says that 8 Million of GTA/Expansions and GTA2 were shipped. No idea on the numbers for the GB releases...

It's likely we will never have accurate data from them, but from what we have seen... They still sold better than CW has currently sold, so...?

It doesn't.  Barozi's link says that Rockstar says that 8 million copies of Not GTA 3 or Vice city were shipped. (not sold.)

Of which there were like 12+ releases before then.

Also, like I said, I think  they're just off.  Take 2 would know better and they weren't going lowball there numbers when fighting a takeover.  They would of said 74 million or "nearly 75 million."

Even if they were correct... that's 8 million split between 12+ releases.  Not to mention that some of those titles could of been shipped, then returned for having not sold and dumped.

axumblade said:
theRepublic said:
axumblade said:

I'm saying that the game was a really good game but it should have sold more copies. The game was critically acclaimed, a really fun game and deserved to sell more copies. Is there a problem with saying that people should buy a game? It's also part of the GTA games, which should have given people incentive because they like seeing familiar franchises (and before games like Call of Duty for the DS get thrown into the argument, this isn't a crappy port to a major HD game. this is a completely new entry into the GTA franchise).

I never said this game or any of those games should all sell the same amount of copies every time. My point wasn't to say "every mario game sells 10 million copies!" it was that "Mario games always hit the million sales mark easily." And you can use that for any of those cases as well. Pokemon generally hits a million sales easily (even for the Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games). Gran Turismo managed to sell a million on the PSP (despite the fact that it's on the PSP). Halo Wars hit close to 2 million in sales (with it being a RTS, which isn't a very popular genre on consoles).

Since when does critical acclaim equal commercial success?

Critical Acclaim doesn't equal Commercial Success. It does however mean that if a series that is generally found great (Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, and Tony Hawk are prime examples) and then starts releasing subpar, mediocre games, generally sales/popularity of the games tend to spiral downward. Being critically acclaimed doesn't equal commercial success but being a critical flop can destroy a game.

I was talking about this:

I'm saying that the game was a really good game but it should have sold more copies. The game was critically acclaimed, a really fun game and deserved to sell more copies.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:

It doesn't.  Barozi's link says that Rockstar says that 8 million copies of Not GTA 3 or Vice city were shipped. (not sold.)

Also, like I said, I think  they're just off.  Take 2 would know better and they weren't going lowball there numbers when fighting a takeover.  They would of said 74 million or "nearly 75 million."

Even if they were correct... that's 8 million split between 12+ releases.  Not to mention that some of those titles could of been shipped, then returned for having not sold and dumped.

It's still 8 Million units of top-down GTA's. Of which we know GTA and GTA2 will have been the biggest sellers. likely 2/3 Million between them... Probably making VGC figures bang on the mark (with PC included).

The remaining 3 Million units would have been the 2 expansions, and whatever the GB games did.

Makes more than enough sense to me.

axumblade said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
axumblade said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
axumblade said:
The PS2 GTA's were 3 of the top 4 selling PS2 games of all time. GTA IV is in the top 10 sales for both the xbox 360 and PS3 games of all time as well. GTA: Stories games are the top selling PSP games. Even GTA:SA and GTA Collection for the Xbox were part of the top 10 best selling xbox software. Even the DLC for the 360 version of GTAIV's retail version of the expansion packs sold over a million copies in less then a year. And we're supposed to praise this game for hitting a level of sales that even the original PSone games doubled in sales?

Of course it's got legs, it's a GTA game. It's even possible for the PSP version to hit 1 million due to digital distribution and longevity of the GTA games legs. But it doesn't change the fact that this game should have sold a lot more.

No it shouldn't have, because those other games were all Full 3D GTA games.

If you're going to try to throw in some meaningless excuse, you could at least read my whole post instead of randomly griping and complaining.

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome the game sold a million copies but it's GTA. It was expected to say the least. It's like saying Mario, Gran Turismo, Pokemon, or Halo have hit a million copies. As for the 3D comment, the PSone GTA games...which were included in my initial statement were 2D games.

Wait, are you just saying it's not worthy of praise, or claiming it's still terrible to sell that much? The former I can understand, since the game lost interest for me once I heard it didn't have the same feel of the GTA games I liked. The latter, no, especially to the "should have" comments, since that implies an obligation to the DS owners to buy it, not an obligation for the developers to make a game DS owners want to buy.

BTW, there are Mario, Gran Turismo, Halo, and even Pokemon games that sell significantly less than the main series. It's just a matter of selling something that most fans aren't used to, which is what this game certainly is.

I'm saying that the game was a really good game but it should have sold more copies. The game was critically acclaimed, a really fun game and deserved to sell more copies. Is there a problem with saying that people should buy a game? It's also part of the GTA games, which should have given people incentive because they like seeing familiar franchises (and before games like Call of Duty for the DS get thrown into the argument, this isn't a crappy port to a major HD game. this is a completely new entry into the GTA franchise).

I never said this game or any of those games should all sell the same amount of copies every time. My point wasn't to say "every mario game sells 10 million copies!" it was that "Mario games always hit the million sales mark easily." And you can use that for any of those cases as well. Pokemon generally hits a million sales easily (even for the Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games). Gran Turismo managed to sell a million on the PSP (despite the fact that it's on the PSP). Halo Wars hit close to 2 million in sales (with it being a RTS, which isn't a very popular genre on consoles).

You're telling people to spend money on a game they likely don't want, just to conform to the critics. That's not as reprehensible as telling gamers to spend $50 on a game they don't want for the mere possiblility they will get games they want down the line, but it is just as foolish.

People didn't want this game. You can't make them think otherwise just because you think it deserves it. I mean, I have quite a few niche games, but I can see why they lack mainstream appeal.

Plus the ads don't fit the winning formula for GTA marketing. Look at a previous post I made to see what I mean.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

adjusted down to 0.99m ?

theRepublic said:
Carl2291 said:

Great, so now we know that if Chinatown Wars was released 10 years ago, it would have sold much better.

True

Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:

It's still 8 Million units of top-down GTA's. Of which we know GTA and GTA2 will have been the biggest sellers. likely 2/3 Million between them... Probably making VGC figures bang on the mark (with PC included).

The remaining 3 Million units would have been the 2 expansions, and whatever the GB games did.

Makes more than enough sense to me.

Except it doesn't.  Your point completly disapears now.  Your saying the GTA numbers are right with the PC numbers included.  So it's about 1 million per console.

Not to mention there was a dreamcast version of GTA2, and those handheld releases were in fact GTA 1 &2.  Also the compilation pack for the PS1.

Either way by the numbers... espeically if you we go by YOUR numbers that give the PS1 releases such high numbers.... your average mean for sales of a GTA top down game are WELL below 1 million.  The PSP is a success by comparison.