By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

PSP was more of a flop. But even there, for such a low budget game(compared to typical 3d gtas), it was worth quite a profit.

I think it did fantastic, because not all DS owners are the same demographic. To say that , IN ANY gaming demographic, theres 1 million owners willing to buy your top down game, is great.
basically:
there were 1 million DS owners willing to buy a top down 3d GTA.
there were less than 500k psp owners willing to do the same.(for whatever reasons as long as they keep being more hardcore).
True they had GTA SA before and it sold super better.Who tells you it wouldnt have sold as much ore better on the DS? CW at least is a sample of the same age group and its a promising one.
Spin off games tend to sell fractions of the usual franchise(pokemon ranger vs pokemon gold), and nobody says ranger is a flop for selling a fraction of pokemon gold.
Finally, fanboys, the sales of Top down GTAS have never been so good before. Comparing it to 3d gtas is out of the mark.
To put it in perspective, if there was a 3d GTA for DS (or 3ds), the sales would(apparently, from the CW-ds vs psp) be in proportion, really good. Or even greater.
Finally, GT4 costed at least 10 or 20 times more to promote, produce and launch than this tiny game that merely carried the brand name, as good as it was.the profit proportion was the same.I know TK2 expected the PSP version to do fantastic just based on the premise that they would buy A top down GTA as much as a 3d one but i think they saw the errors of their ways instead of blaming(or rushing to blame), the DS demographic.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:
When the DS game had been out for the length that the PSP game has, it had sold roughly twice as many units.

So, anyone claiming that these sales are low (which they aren't) and that it's the DS's fault is a fanboy.

lol at bringing PSP sales into it. A late port, on a system with less than half as many units sold worldwide. And you don't have to be a fanboy to see that the sales are "low" for a GTA game. Be it 2D or 3D.

@Bamboleo
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the PS2 have more 2 Million sellers than the DS has 1 Million sellers?

Not really.  GTA 1&2 sold around 1-2 million a piece.

It's actually right where 2D GTA games are at sales wise.

I was planning on leaving the thread for good, but i may aswell correct you.

GTA 1 sold 2.3 Million
GTA 2 sold 3.4 Million

So no, it isn't.

1) Where are you getting those numbers

2) Do you know GTA 1&2 came out on multiple platforms.

I'm guessing your combining PC and Console sales here.

www.vgchartz.com

PSone versions only.

Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:
When the DS game had been out for the length that the PSP game has, it had sold roughly twice as many units.

So, anyone claiming that these sales are low (which they aren't) and that it's the DS's fault is a fanboy.

lol at bringing PSP sales into it. A late port, on a system with less than half as many units sold worldwide. And you don't have to be a fanboy to see that the sales are "low" for a GTA game. Be it 2D or 3D.

@Bamboleo
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the PS2 have more 2 Million sellers than the DS has 1 Million sellers?

GTA 1 sold 2.3 Million
GTA 2 sold 3.4 Million

So no, it isn't.

www.vgchartz.com

PSone versions only.

so cw would have sold great 10 years ago ,right?well that makes sense.I hope you get to that point.I think TK2 knew that too, so i doubt they expect the same sales as PRE 3d GTA ages.or you think they did?

Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:
thekitchensink said:

@Bamboleo

GTA 1 sold 2.3 Million
GTA 2 sold 3.4 Million

So no, it isn't.

www.vgchartz.com

PSone versions only.

Which are numbers I don't quite believe.  Afterall they weren't actually tracking sales back then and if you actually look at the numbers they're all in europe.

Did GTA really sell 1.47 million in others?  When it only did .81 in the rest of the world.  Very dubious.

It's quite good for a game to sell a million units, including GTA: CW for DS. But for a game with a big brand on it, it's not that impressive. Especially, when it did not reach nearly the numbers of its predecessors. This probably indicates that the GTA fanbase doesn't like top-down GTA's anymore. So why is it necessary to start a big discussion about it?

Around the Network

"This probably indicates that the GTA fanbase doesn't like top-down GTA's anymore. So why is it necessary to start a big discussion about it?"

Because the userbase is blamed, as though they were obligated to buy the game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

IxisNaugus said:
Cheebee said:
Viper1 said:
Cheebee said:
Viper1 said:
PSRock, the marketability of a 2D top down GTA on the DS is significantly lower than the 3D 3rd person perspective view of all other titles since the early 2000's.

Is it low for brand? Yes.
Is it low for the game? No.

I was going to make a comment just like this, but you did it for me, thank you.

You're welcome.

I see people like to skip or ignore certain posts as the ignorance continues.  Some people are having a really diffilut time differentiating the difference between a game and its brand.  They all see the brand and not the game.

I know what you mean. It's like talking to brick walls. That's why I'm going to pass on actively participating in this thread.

Mind if i sit on the sidelines with you? The ignorance, immaturity and downright patronizing ways of some posters is truly breathtaking. And i like how those people are still ignoring posts from the likes of Viper1 and others, and simply reiterating the same things again and again.

Sure, sit on down, grab a drink! It's a good show. You're right, some people can't or don't want to see logic.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:

www.vgchartz.com

PSone versions only.

Which are numbers I don't quite believe.  Afterall they weren't actually tracking sales back then and if you actually look at the numbers they're all in europe.

Did GTA really sell 1.47 million in others?  When it only did .81 in the rest of the world.  Very dubious.

I couldn't care less if you believed them or not, to be honest. Unless you can find a more reputable source with numbers... I will continue to use VGC numbers.

And usually, if the older gen games are tracked wrong, they are MISSING data from a region. Which would mean that it's more than likely the game sold BETTER than that.

So this is where they moved the cherry picking farm!

Why not compare it to the other top down GTA games.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Carl2291 said:
Kasz216 said:
Carl2291 said:

www.vgchartz.com

PSone versions only.

I couldn't care less if you believed them or not, to be honest. Unless you can find a more reputable source with numbers... I will continue to use VGC numbers.

And usually, if the older gen games are tracked wrong, they are MISSING data from a region. Which would mean that it's more than likely the game sold BETTER than that.

Does Take 2 count?

In there recomendation to not sell to EA, they state they've sold 70 million in the GTA franchise up to March 2008.

From 2001 - 2008 they've sold 66 million copies.

That leaves a total of 4 million total, for GTA PS/PC, GTA2 PS/PC,GTA London 1969 PS/PC AND GTA London 1961 PS/PC.

The problem being of course that the PS numbers for GTA 1&2 alone are over 4 million.

http://apps.shareholder.com/sec/viewerContent.aspx?companyid=TTWO&docid=5824614

Unless those 6 pieces of software sold negative amounts... it's pretty obvious the VGchartz numbers are a bit high... and keep in mind this is shipped.  Considering europe was more PC based then console based then... it's even generous to say they sold about a million a piece.