By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

I'm quite amused that anyone would resort to using the PSP's horrible sales as justification for the low DS numbers; that's no excuse, yes it did even worse on PSP but that doesn't change the fact that it sold poorly on the DS.

Around the Network
Shanobi said:
Chairman-Mao said:
128 million userbase + its Grand Theft Auto = 1 million sales? That's still a flop.

PSP only has about 57 million userbase and Liberty City stories managed 6 million sales.

If it was a new IP or whatever I'd eat crow for calling it a flop; for GTA however, its a flop.

It's a huge user base, wider than that of anything Sony or Microsoft has, and on a console that has never before hosted a GTA game, let alone one that is for many, a radical departure from the type of GTA game that they have been used to playing.

Also, what other games are PSP owners really supposed to buy? There's like "zero" competition for a GTA game on that system. Unless you're counting ATV: Offroad Fury.

Seriously, one of these two handhelds has a gigantic library of games, and the other has some movies you can buy on discount at k-mart.

lol, now that's a fresh excuse.  GTA bombed because the ds has too many games.  +1 for creativity!

axumblade said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
axumblade said:
The PS2 GTA's were 3 of the top 4 selling PS2 games of all time. GTA IV is in the top 10 sales for both the xbox 360 and PS3 games of all time as well. GTA: Stories games are the top selling PSP games. Even GTA:SA and GTA Collection for the Xbox were part of the top 10 best selling xbox software. Even the DLC for the 360 version of GTAIV's retail version of the expansion packs sold over a million copies in less then a year. And we're supposed to praise this game for hitting a level of sales that even the original PSone games doubled in sales?

Of course it's got legs, it's a GTA game. It's even possible for the PSP version to hit 1 million due to digital distribution and longevity of the GTA games legs. But it doesn't change the fact that this game should have sold a lot more.

No it shouldn't have, because those other games were all Full 3D GTA games.

If you're going to try to throw in some meaningless excuse, you could at least read my whole post instead of randomly griping and complaining.

Don't get me wrong, it's awesome the game sold a million copies but it's GTA. It was expected to say the least. It's like saying Mario, Gran Turismo, Pokemon, or Halo have hit a million copies. As for the 3D comment, the PSone GTA games...which were included in my initial statement were 2D games.

Wait, are you just saying it's not worthy of praise, or claiming it's still terrible to sell that much? The former I can understand, since the game lost interest for me once I heard it didn't have the same feel of the GTA games I liked. The latter, no, especially to the "should have" comments, since that implies an obligation to the DS owners to buy it, not an obligation for the developers to make a game DS owners want to buy.

BTW, there are Mario, Gran Turismo, Halo, and even Pokemon games that sell significantly less than the main series. It's just a matter of selling something that most fans aren't used to, which is what this game certainly is.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

psrock said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Kasz216 said:
Soriku said:
psrock said:
Excuses so far:

Top Down game
Sold more than PSP Version

my fav : Niche game, lol

How is top down or 2D an excuse? Most people just don't want that type of GTA. The PSP GTAs sold multimillions but this one hasn't even broken 500k on it. What if they turned the FF main series into a SRPG like Fire Emblem, completey elimnating any exploration and it's just story and battle based. Do you think it would sell as much as the more popular entries then?

It wouldn't sell as much, but it would sell about 2.5 million.

Well, as many assert, according to these figures, the DS version sold about twice as much. If we assume, as I'm sure most haters would assert, that the DS audience is mostly made up of casuals(hence, the excuse/accusation for the console), I wonder then what is the Sony excuse for the PSP sales?

A. DS port.

B. Piracy.

C. User base.

I think those things are directly the fault of the hardware, not gamers. If Rockstar would have thought this game was going to be more profitable as a PSP exclusive, they would have made it one. But, the PSP has this nasty reputation for not selling videogames well, while we're flaming a DS game that obviously wasn't aimed at the target market for the console, for only selling a million copies

The PSP port bombed Zen, there is no excuse for it, a year from now, it will be at 1 million too, Will I change my mind, no. The fact remains, if FFXIII had sold a million on PS3, what would you guys have said?

"They could of made like 10 China Town War games with the money they spent on that."

How many threads are about Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles bombing?  Some, but not many... mostly because people recognize how those games aren't even remotley like the "real" final fantasy games.

Regardless of whether the game flopped or not (although it would have needed a big budget to flop), I can see what the real problem is.

GTA III ad -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmBQYxRrngQ&feature=channel

It uses some of the controversy to sell the game, but it also shows lots of gameplay, albeit with the dynamic angles that are more for the trailers than actual gameplay.

Vice City ad -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnW6_sAhwdE

Almost nothing but gameplay.

San Andreas ad -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNgZICe9nHY

Still almost nothing but gameplay.

GTA IV ad -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVZ8b75w6vM

Guess what?

Chinatown Wars ad -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSCv64dFuLw

A bunch of still drawings are not gameplay. And what little gameplay is shown is given these fractured screens that seem artsy, but also make it hard to see the gameplay. And what gameplay there is looks all from the top down, not a full environment you can explore.

That is now what people who bought GTA in the tens of millions, instead of a few million, have come to expect of the series. They aren't going to buy it just because it has GTA in the name. It's not the userbase's fault. It's Rockstar (although Leeds instead of North) for thinking they could get all artsy with the look of the series and not having as much action and mayhem.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Cheebee said:
Viper1 said:
PSRock, the marketability of a 2D top down GTA on the DS is significantly lower than the 3D 3rd person perspective view of all other titles since the early 2000's.

Is it low for brand? Yes.
Is it low for the game? No.

I was going to make a comment just like this, but you did it for me, thank you.

You're welcome.

I see people like to skip or ignore certain posts as the ignorance continues.  Some people are having a really diffilut time differentiating the difference between a game and its brand.  They all see the brand and not the game.

I know what you mean. It's like talking to brick walls. That's why I'm going to pass on actively participating in this thread.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

People, the PSP version was a LATE port, and technically it was underwhelming when you compare it to previous GTA PSP games. Its a flop IMO, no matter how we look at it, and Im certain that T2 was expecting far more from it...

It did a million true, but its a GTA game...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

See...more failure to separate the game from the brand.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

On the DS the sells frame time is different to any other platform so , good number , could it be better yes it could if they had more TV ADs fot the game AND if people who really likes GTA had bought the game but i think that they didnt just because they knew that if it had done well , sooner or later GTA would appear on the Wii too , so they just didnt pick up the game.( just a theory ^^)

And hey look they game bombed on the PSP too ...

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Cheebee said:
Viper1 said:
Cheebee said:
Viper1 said:
PSRock, the marketability of a 2D top down GTA on the DS is significantly lower than the 3D 3rd person perspective view of all other titles since the early 2000's.

I was going to make a comment just like this, but you did it for me, thank you.

You're welcome.

I see people like to skip or ignore certain posts as the ignorance continues.  Some people are having a really diffilut time differentiating the difference between a game and its brand.  They all see the brand and not the game.

I know what you mean. It's like talking to brick walls. That's why I'm going to pass on actively participating in this thread.

Mind if i sit on the sidelines with you? The ignorance, immaturity and downright patronizing ways of some posters is truly breathtaking. And i like how those people are still ignoring posts from the likes of Viper1 and others, and simply reiterating the same things again and again.

How technical is your game?