By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

I still think it could have sold so much better if it had some continued marketing. It really should have been one of the big sellers that holiday season...

Well one million on DS, plus the PSP sales (400 thousand retail, who knows how many downloads) and Iphone sales should ensure that the top down GTA gets another outing.

It'd really be good for Rockstar to be able to have two different versions of their franchise going. Here's looking forward to a multiplat GTA Top down view sequel.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
psrock said:
Excuses so far:

Top Down game
Sold more than PSP Version

my fav : Niche game, lol

How is top down or 2D an excuse? Most people just don't want that type of GTA. The PSP GTAs sold multimillions but this one hasn't even broken 500k on it. What if they turned the FF main series into a SRPG like Fire Emblem, completey elimnating any exploration and it's just story and battle based. Do you think it would sell as much as the more popular entries then?

It wouldn't sell as much, but it would sell about 2.5 million.

thekitchensink said:
When the DS game had been out for the length that the PSP game has, it had sold roughly twice as many units.

So, anyone claiming that these sales are low (which they aren't) and that it's the DS's fault is a fanboy.

God's honest truth right there. Speak it sink. Speak it.

Even if its not the target market for such games, it still outsells the PSP with software. That might mean the PSP has a higher proportion of core gamers, but it doesn't mean that the PSP has MORE core gamers. In fact, it almost assuredly has much much less. The DS probably has more "core" gamers than the PSP has units sold, simply because of the vast difference in the install base.

It's very hard, and shall continue to be very hard for a company that isn't innovative with its hardware, to compete with Nintendo in the handheld market, core or otherwise. There is NOTHING wrong with Nintendo's core market on its handheld system, and any attempts to try to stigmatize the DS as a casual console just because of some ignorant Wii comparison, shows a general lack of understanding about gaming itself.

The PSP is not the PS3 of handhelds, and the DS is not the Wii of handhelds. They are not comparable, and the shallow similarities only serve to mask the vast differences in market segments to the uninformed. Claiming that the DS is a casual only console is ignorance in its most concentrated form, and sales aside, the core DS library is phenominal, which isn't really debatable. List wars on that front would be one sided.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I can only say that the game sold decently, but well below expectations for a GTA game.

Didn't matter if it was on the DS or PSP, where supposedly the DS has more of a casual userbase, and the supposed hardcore PSP userbase didn't either.

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

Kasz216 said:
Soriku said:
psrock said:
Excuses so far:

Top Down game

How is top down or 2D an excuse? Most people just don't want that type of GTA. The PSP GTAs sold multimillions but this one hasn't even broken 500k on it. What if they turned the FF main series into a SRPG like Fire Emblem, completey elimnating any exploration and it's just story and battle based. Do you think it would sell as much as the more popular entries then?

Well, as many assert, according to these figures, the DS version sold about twice as much. If we assume, as I'm sure most haters would assert, that the DS audience is mostly made up of casuals(hence, the excuse/accusation for the console), I wonder then what is the Sony excuse for the PSP sales?

A. DS port.

B. Piracy.

C. User base.

I think those things are directly the fault of the hardware, not gamers. If Rockstar would have thought this game was going to be more profitable as a PSP exclusive, they would have made it one. But, the PSP has this nasty reputation for not selling videogames well, while we're flaming a DS game that obviously wasn't aimed at the target market for the console, for only selling a million copies.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Kasz216 said:
Soriku said:
psrock said:
Excuses so far:

Top Down game

Well, as many assert, according to these figures, the DS version sold about twice as much. If we assume, as I'm sure most haters would assert, that the DS audience is mostly made up of casuals(hence, the excuse/accusation for the console), I wonder then what is the Sony excuse for the PSP sales?

A. DS port.

B. Piracy.

C. User base.

I think those things are directly the fault of the hardware, not gamers. If Rockstar would have thought this game was going to be more profitable as a PSP exclusive, they would have made it one. But, the PSP has this nasty reputation for not selling videogames well, while we're flaming a DS game that obviously wasn't aimed at the target market for the console, for only selling a million copies

The PSP port bombed Zen, there is no excuse for it, a year from now, it will be at 1 million too, Will I change my mind, no. The fact remains, if FFXIII had sold a million on PS3, what would you guys have said?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Soriku said:
psrock said:

The PSP port bombed Zen, there is no excuse for it, a year from now, it will be at 1 million too, Will I change my mind, no. The fact remains, if FFXIII had sold a million on PS3, what would you guys have said?

That they messed up with the game in appealing more to the mainstream. 3D GTA is a lot more mainstream than 2D/top down GTA.

No, there would have been tons of threads on how the game bombed, how it should have been on the Wii, blahblah. That's how things work.

A million is terrific for games like heavy rain, but for GTA games, the stakes are higher no matter where they land. For many, the DS version was better than GTA4, it was more fun like I heard, but no one bought it like GTA games do.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

PSRock, the marketability of a 2D top down GTA on the DS is significantly lower than the 3D 3rd person perspective view of all other titles since the early 2000's.

Is it low for brand? Yes.
Is it low for the game? No.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

i wouldnt say the game is a flop, but compared to the series it just is...i mean on the psp and the ds, even though the psp has a little piracy problem *by little i mean big*

The Iphone Metal Gear Solid floped because it's sales aren't on par for a Metal Gear.

It is in a different way of gameplay then the previous 3D versions but I don't care. It flopped.