By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, megaflop GTA: CW for DS reached 1M

the one million gamers who bought this game should consider themselves a true Grand Theft Auto fan. Otherwise the rest are pretenders

Around the Network

This game sold well for a niche DS game. It made money

Vindication is fun. Too bad none of the gaming media will pay any attention.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

kitler53 said:
1M in a years time for a GTA game...worst selling game in the GTA franchise. but whatever....it hit a million so now all the nintendo fans can celebrate this fail of a milestone and then cry about how third parties aren't given nintendo the support they "deserve".

It sold a lot less on the psp :) 

It's not a normal GTA game, so stop comparing it to the GTA's on consoles.

Halo fails now because Halo wars didn't sell 10 million?

Same thing, Halo 3 is a totally different game then Halo: wars.

Mr Khan said:

Vindication is fun. Too bad none of the gaming media will pay any attention.

Some of us in the media never frowned on it to start with *wink*

Those goal posts must be getting tired of having to move every other week.   Will somebody think of the goal posts?  How would you feel if you were evicted from your residence and forced to move down the block 2-3 times a month?  The Native Americans in Oklahoma are sympathizing with the goal posts.   It's becoming tragic, really.  How can you guys sleep at night knowing you keep evicting and displacing such upstanding pillars of the community away from their rightfull neighborhoods?

And to make things worse, David Valbu bought all those crows for you guys to eat and none of you are showing up for dinner.  Martha Stewart would call that rude. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Excuses so far:

Top Down game
Sold more than PSP Version

my fav : Niche game, lol

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
  1. GTA 1, GTA 2, and GTA: London 1969 were not (really) particularly popular and it wasn't until GTA became a 3D game on the PS2 that it became the monster we know today.
  2. The PSP 3D Grand Theft Auto games were very popular (especially for a PSP game) but the sales being lower than the PS2 versions, and the decline in sales from Liberty City Stories to Vice City Stories may indicate that many Grand Theft Auto fans are not too interested in a portable GTA. 

When you combine these two things together, and release a potentially unwanted throwback to a style of platform that people aren't interested in playing that kind of game on it will (obviously) take a significant sales hit. With this in mind, 1 Million sales on the DS is nothing to get upset about.

@ HappySqurriel

Considering those facts even 1 million is a nice achievment. No wonder the PSP couldn't push the same game to similar numbers...

psrock said:
Excuses so far:

Top Down game
Sold more than PSP Version

my fav : Niche game, lol

Yes smart guy, a niche DS game.

try to wrap your brain around it

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Carl2291 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"terrible for a GTA game and considering the userbase, not that incredible"

Did you look at the sales for the GTA games before III? They were terrible as well considering the userbase for the PS1.

GTA 1 sold 2.3 Million

GTA 2 sold 3.4 Million

Both sold more, on less userbase. So what's the excuse now?

At that point top-down GTA was fresh, hip, and new.

Then 3-D GTA blew it out of the water.

Now top-down GTA is considered "retro," a rehash, and a step backwards into the 90's.  Most of the casual/mainstream GTA fans have moved on to the 3rd dimension.  It's not the type of IP that has retro fans that want to see it go back to its roots, like Mario or Sonic or Mega Man or whatever.

They made a really awesome game for a really niche audience.  I'm not sure why.  But it was awesome.  I thought it was a great mish-mash of both the 2-D and 3-D styles.  It was basically only made for nerds like me.  I loved it more than GTA 1 and 2, which I also loved.  The only bad top-down GTA was on the GBA, but it was licensed out to a shovelware developer, and I have no idea why.

Userbase size has nothing to do with it, if the almighty PS1 and PS2 can't even have one of the top 10 best-selling games of all time.

exactly!  "retro, a rehash, and a step backwards into the 90's" is practically word for word what i was thinking when NSMB wii was announced.  no wonder that thing has yet to reach a million...