By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gamestop threatens customers with Xbox kill bugs

People working at these stores are usually morons. I would own 5 PS3s if I was listening to best buy employee advice.

Most of them are huge fanboys of one system or another...

Has anyone ever seen anyone cool working at gamestop? Like anyone you'd actually listen to if they tried to give you advice? I didn't think so...

Around the Network

There's been plenty of problems with gamestop employees saying outrageous things to try to get people to buy a warranty or put down money for upcoming games. But you know why, because their jobs are dependent on such things. They have to make a quota or else they get rated down. And yes, knowing people who have worked at GameStop, you can be fired for not meeting that quota.

You can't expect people to tell the truth or give quality surface at the end of a sword. Much less with limited training. So was this a case of a misunderstanding? Perhaps. But there's been more than a few times I've been badgered by gamestop employees to pre-order a game or had a 'misunderstanding' about a game because of their lack of training.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Squilliam said:
The Tim is strong in this thread.

OK, I'm usually up on my Internet memes, but WTH?

I believe this, there are some really dumb Gamestop/EBgames employees.

"in turn, told her that it was ABSOLUTELY necessary and that her console was definitely going to break in the next few months." ...yea that would just turn away alot of sales from new costumers just from hearing that.

If it were me in that position, i'd just be like "Just sell me the fcking 360!!! i dont care for your warrenty sht!!!" ...and as he's finally ringing in the 360 and ask for the money i'd walk away and be like "Fck this sht your place doesnt deserve my money, im buying elsewhere." lol I seriously cant stand employees pressuring consumers like that.

PhalanxCO said:
Squilliam said:

Theres a poster on this site who is the designated Tim. Its up to people to work out who it is.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
PhalanxCO said:
Squilliam said:

Theres a poster on this site who is the designated Tim. Its up to people to work out who it is.

Um... ok.  I guess I didn't get the memo on that one.  But have fun with it.

I would love to see people specify where the Gamestops do this.

There are Districts and Regions in GS -- and some do things right and others not-so-right.
For example, I was in two stores yesterday where the MH3 demo was open on the counter for the taking.
No one tried to sell you a preorder for taking one.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I go to Gamestop all the time , with no problems, I have bought a PS3, 360 and Had to return 3 because they stopped working in just a few days, I had no problems they gave me new ones and did not even say anything about there warranty , I bought a PSP, a slim PS2 , and I am guessing over the years 300 plus games. never a problem, and in my area there a 4 gamestops I go to. One thing I can say about the gamestops in my area are they really stay unbiased with the whole PS3 vs 360, I mean they will give there opinion if asked, but they don't bash any console. Everybody knows MS has problems with Red ring of death and E74 error, but MS did a good job of fixing consoles without buying an extended warranty.

Reading some of peoples comments brought something to mind, There was one gamestop I used to go to , who would badger you about pre ordering games, and they would tell people if they did not pre order this game they would not be able to get a hold of a copy for a few weeks due to shortages of games beeing made at first, which is the biggest bunch of BS. So I have had them try at this one store, but I told them to knock if off, or I would take my business elsewhere and they did stop, I don't go to that Gamestop any more because I had moved, but I quess I could see a Dumb Ass employee making this crap up. Some people just really like bashing consoles that are there least favorite, I don't get it, even though I like my PS3 the most, and have had no problems with it compared to my 360, I still really like my 360 also, to me its about the gamming experience, If another console is going to give me great games to , I will buy it. I am not Married to any of them, I do like Sony I have been playing on a PS for 15 plus years , and never had a console break on me, and had plenty of ossum games to play, now I also have a 360 and really enjoy it to. 360 may of had more problems then PS3, but I still do know a person who had a problem with his PS3, after 2 years, It probably would not hurt to buy a warranty on any console you buy, to be on the safe side, anything can happen at any given time. But there is no reasonto make up Bs excuses to bash a product to sale one. I worked in sales for many years, that type of sales approach will not work , and it leaves a very nasty taste in a persons mouth when they leave, and most likly they will not come back to buy anything else. So its not worth it, be straight up with people.

ive said this before but one guy at my gamestop is a total lier when i when to buy my first ps3 me told me that sony was going to discontinue selling ps3s stick with ps2 and what till ps4 he then asked if i was looking forward to any games i said FFXIII he then said that microsoft have exclusive rights to it and the almost every third party game was going to be exclusive and the only games ps3 would have are sonys first party games... and at first i believed him since i didn't no much about games at the time

original link: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/bh7bo/gamestop_employees_are_out_of_control_rant/

The BSing to sell extended warranties is nothing new. When I worked at Best Buy, some of the more hardcore sales guys would literally make stuff up to try and frighten customers into buying one. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is exactly how it went down.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka