By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gamestop threatens customers with Xbox kill bugs

I don't bother shopping at brick and mortar very often for a reason (and in Canada, for a long time that meant not shopping at GameStop because they implemented online shopping only recently here). It's a nuisance dealing with this horseshit.

And like Ken said, these employees probably have to meet a quota or something. If you are pretty much pressured to sell X amount of stuff or else you get fired, can you blame the employees for resorting to lying to try to get more sales? I put the blame on GameStop for this horseshit. If any one here is thinking about applying to GameStop for a job, don't please. Fuck GameStop. Best Buy employees are guilty of the same type of shit too. Just not as extreme as this sounds.

I don't have the "GameStop is killing the game industry with used game sales, waaahh" mindset that many self-proclaimed 'hardcore' gamers too. But I am of the mindset that GameStop treats gamers and their employees like shit

How they treat gamers

-$55 used games? get the fuck outta here. Charging more for used games than new games at times too. Someone showed proof in a previous GameStop there here.

- The trade-in rip-off. Pay $60 for a game new, beat it, return it in a week and you get like what? Half or less of you what you originally paid?

-Starting this whole exclusive DLC with GameStop pre-order crap.

-Trying to shill you hardcore into buying unnecessary stuff.

-Gutting new games and selling them as 'new".

-Their prices also tend to be higher than the competition. Their selection is superior to the competition though I'll give them that

I feel like I'm missing a lot more reasons to hate GameStop as a gamer. I'm drawing a blank right now. But I just gave plenty of reasons to hate GameStop.

How they treat employees

"do whatever you have to to make this quota or you are fired bitch!".

- Obvious lack of training!

I wouldn't be surprised if the pay sucks too but I wouldn't know what their salary range is like.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

Has anyone ever seen anyone cool working at gamestop? Like anyone you'd actually listen to if they tried to give you advice? I didn't think so...

Makingmusic works at one. However, I agree that makingmusic isn't cool or worth listening to. :P

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ugh every time i trade in a used game at gamestop they harass me to but the god damn card for an extra ten percent and the shitty game informer magazine

i once had some guy working there try to sell me a used copy of soulcalibur 2 after i told him 5 fucking times i wanted a new copy

they deserve every prank phone call they get

oh also i had one friend go into gamestop and ask for a used 360 and the guy wouldn't shut up about the failure rate and tried to sell him a ps3 and he was like cmon just sell me the 360.

disolitude said:
People working at these stores are usually morons. I would own 5 PS3s if I was listening to best buy employee advice.

Most of them are huge fanboys of one system or another...

Has anyone ever seen anyone cool working at gamestop? Like anyone you'd actually listen to if they tried to give you advice? I didn't think so...

Yes actually I do. He is who I always try to catch working also. He is very helpfull in a non nagging way as in hell bring it up once. He has also taken money off my purchase's before because of the amount of preorders I have done since mine has came to town. He also informs me of games I might like that are more "niche" on the DS. Sometimes he will remind me of certian games that they are not going to get much of like The Black Sigil D.S. and if I do not preorder it I will have a hard time getting it.

But, yes I too have had a recent problem with the managment at said store that I will not get into again at t his time. But if this guy is there I will go in and still preorder as nowhere else here at this time does them.

twesterm said:

Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit on this story.

I absolutely believe the person telling it that the Gamestop person badgered them about the warranty, I don't believe the bit about them telling them all that wrong information (and this coming from someone who considered the average Gamestop employee dumber than a rock).

-edit-

Just to clarify, I totally don't put it past the typical Gamestop employee trying to push an unecessary warranty on the customer, I also assume the customer might be wrong in thinking it costs money to send the console to Microsoft, I expect the employee to tell them the console will probably break, I just don't believe the employee seriously telling them MS sends a code to all consoles a few months after purchase to break the console and only the Gamestop warranty can fix it.

This story reeks of someone just trying to villainize Gamestop or is just trying to make a story worse so gullable people will post it all over internet forums.  In either case, the person who told the story is likely a giant tool.

Yeah dude I agree, especially that part about "I used to work at gamestop- which is why I hate them". Hate them enough to write a BS story on the famously anonymous internets?

Around the Network

Glad theres very few where I live (UK). One of the few in the country is in my local town but always go to Game instead. Think the I would have said to the guy 'look, if you dont shutup not only will I not be getting the warranty, but I wont be getting this xbox either. So you'll have just talked yourself out of a sale'.
How would his corporate sales target like that?

SecondWar said:
Glad theres very few where I live (UK). One of the few in the country is in my local town but always go to Game instead. Think the I would have said to the guy 'look, if you dont shutup not only will I not be getting the warranty, but I wont be getting this xbox either. So you'll have just talked yourself out of a sale'.
How would his corporate sales target like that?

when I worked at bestbuy and people complained that we pushed too hard corporate would congratulate us.

lol that was funny. I have seen stuff like that when I worked there back in my days of school, was horrid. I never once forced any type of sales I just ask once and if its a no then so be it. I am not getting anything special from selling warranties or subs.

If someone at Gamespot would try to sell me a ps3 when I wanted a 360, I'd just slap the pimples off his face!!!

Gawd this is why I try scamming Gamespot any way I can

Lyrikalstylez said:

If someone at Gamespot would try to sell me a ps3 when I wanted a 360, I'd just slap the pimples off his face!!!

Gawd this is why I try scamming Gamespot any way I can

I had a good scam back at College Fest where MS was giving out free copies of viva pinata, mass effect and some others. I went to gamestop a few months later and started "returning" them in one by one at different stores for full credit.