By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the hell is a 3DS?

Also, why would they point out it would be backwards-compatible to DS if it was in the same line?

Around the Network

I prefer the name DS 3D over 3DS, because there will be the lots of casual calling it 3DDS.

And 3DS makes me remind about 3DO. Which is bad.

It depends on the success of the system, obviously.

The DS was an experiment. Nintendo called it their "third pillar" alongside the GBA and the GameCube. That way, if it flopped, they could go back and make the GBA2, the "Iris." But the DS took over the world and replaced the entire Game Boy Line.

If this 3DS flops, they'll replace it with something else. But it won't. This IS the DS2.

DS=GB, DSi=GBC, 3DS=GBA.

leo-j said:
You guys need to realize it says 3DS

"3 DIMENSIONAL SCREEN"

Nintendo when releasing a true nexgen system have never re used the name

NES, 64, GC, WII

GB, DS

I don't understand why the Super NES isn't "a true nexgen system."

It's just a name anyway. "DS" was always kind of a bland/sterile name, certainly not as catchy as "Game Boy", but because it was more a neutral name it probably helped in its appeal to wider demographics like older adults and women.

The games and the experience is what will ultimately define the platform.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
It's just a name anyway. "DS" was always kind of a bland/sterile name, certainly not as catchy as "Game Boy", but because it was more a neutral name it probably helped in its appeal to wider demographics like older adults and women.

It's actually quite smart what they did there. They disassociated their previous systems from the word "Game" (Gamecube and Gameboy Advance). Why? Because a lot of older people associate "Game" as timewasting.

Now suddenly the DS and Wii has more appeal to the older audience than before, because of that disassociation, as well as the titles that would be considered as "bettering yourself" (Brain Training, Wii Fit etc).

The Ghost of RubangB said:
leo-j said:
You guys need to realize it says 3DS

"3 DIMENSIONAL SCREEN"

Nintendo when releasing a true nexgen system have never re used the name

NES, 64, GC, WII

GB, DS

I don't understand why the Super NES isn't "a true nexgen system."

yeah shouldn't the list be NES, Super NES, GC, WII

and GB, GB ADVANCED, DS

so they have done it twice

fordy said:
Soundwave said:

It's actually quite smart what they did there. They disassociated their previous systems from the word "Game" (Gamecube and Gameboy Advance). Why? Because a lot of older people associate "Game" as timewasting.

Now suddenly the DS and Wii has more appeal to the older audience than before, because of that disassociation, as well as the titles that would be considered as "bettering yourself" (Brain Training, Wii Fit etc).

don't forget the portion of the moniker consisting of "boy". It made the systems seems immature.

its 3 DS's man!

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

We won't know until Nintendo clarifies, but it seems to be a next gen handheld similar to what the GBA was to GB (Same naming scheme, totally new system) and it'll be backwards compatible.

All I know is that I was all geared to get my DS XL on with those huge screens (Seen pics of it next to the original DS, or even the PSP? Yummy) but looks like I'm waiting for the 3DS now.