By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the hell is a 3DS?

what the hell is a 3DS?

Around the Network

I think what Leo-J said about it being 3DS and standing for 3 Dimensional Screen describes it perfectly....
Just like the Revolution did until they changed it to Wii. Truth is you can't really tell with Nintendo.
There's already too many 3's in gaming if you ask me.

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

I don't even know what you guys are talking about. Are you talking about the new Nintendo handheld LADYLOO? I think you are talking about the LADYLOO, because that happens to be the name of the ds2.

theprof00 said:

Ok, so the Nintendo PDF says that it is a true successor, but is it really? [Yes! This handheld will need much more power in order to have the glasses-free 3D display technology]

It has the brand "DS" in the title. [Gameboy Advance has the brand "Gameboy" in the title]

It is compatible with all DS AND DSi games. Does that mean it has a camera too? [Yeah, and probably DSiware (or something similar)]

It's a Dual Screen, hence the moniker.

So, it's a DSi that can play 3D games. [No, it's really a new system with much more power and 3D capabilities, but it has the "DS" brand just like GBA has the "GB" brand, which means that the Game Boy Advance is part of the Gameboy family and not a revision for the Gameboy or Gameboy Color. Also, we still need to see the other functions that this new handheld will have, it probably has a tilt function like the rumores were saying]

Isn't the DSi a DS that can play DSi camera based games AND DS games? [Yes because the DSi is just a revision]

This seems more like yet another upgrade to the DS. [No, it doesn't. Much more power + 3D and probably tilt function, it's already another system that will have his own cartridges]

What do you think, it's weird right?

Hisiru said:
theprof00 said:

Ok, so the Nintendo PDF says that it is a true successor, but is it really? [Yes! This handheld will need much more power in order to have the glasses-free 3D display technology]

It has the brand "DS" in the title. [Gameboy Advance has the brand "Gameboy" in the title]

It is compatible with all DS AND DSi games. Does that mean it has a camera too? [Yeah, and probably DSiware (or something similar)]

It's a Dual Screen, hence the moniker.

So, it's a DSi that can play 3D games. [No, it's really a new system with much more power and 3D capabilities, but it has the "DS" brand just like GBA has the "GB" brand, which means that the Game Boy Advance is part of the Gameboy family and not a revision for the Gameboy or Gameboy Color. Also, we still need to see the other functions that this new handheld will have, it probably has a tilt function like the rumores were saying]

Isn't the DSi a DS that can play DSi camera based games AND DS games? [Yes because the DSi is just a revision]

This seems more like yet another upgrade to the DS. [No, it doesn't. Much more power + 3D and probably tilt function, it's already another system that will have his own cartridges]

What do you think, it's weird right?

Thanks for clearing that up with that excellent post, hisiru.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

No problems, and thanks for the compliment buddy!

Hisiru said:
theprof00 said:

No problems, and thanks for the compliment buddy!

credit where credit is due. Sometimes it takes a member of a very smart and advanced race to make things simple to understand.

Yridian said:

We won't know until Nintendo clarifies, but it seems to be a next gen handheld similar to what the GBA was to GB (Same naming scheme, totally new system) and it'll be backwards compatible.

All I know is that I was all geared to get my DS XL on with those huge screens (Seen pics of it next to the original DS, or even the PSP? Yummy) but looks like I'm waiting for the 3DS now.

I was geared to get a XL too and I'm still willing to get one because:

- 3DS launch is 1 year far away, and maybe only on Japan. Some months later it will it the west. Summer 2011 then.

- Lack of games at launch, even if there's 1 or 2 good games, it won't be a reason for me to get one 3DS and then see AAA games being announced and I will still have to wait for them.

- DSi will have many games yet, and I'm yet to get many past games which I didn't plaid attention before;

- 3DS will undoubtedly have a redesign, with some better features. They fooled me with GBA and DS, they won't fool me thrice with the 3DS.

ugh.. at this point i'm pretty fed up with all these types of DS's anyway...
nintendo should just create a hardware that fairly adaptable to all others things that can be updated through firmware maybe hardware attachments or some ishtzzzz like that - there's too freakin many of them!

i mean i know nintendo is all about "innovations" but damn that doesn't mean that should stop them to keep up with technology...
i would've love to see next DS to have all the abilities that DS can do with their "3D" technology AND have some other capabilities like a PSP can do

why not have all, right? innovations, graphics, power, features, etc...

but right now, even though nintendo seemed to actually have announced this, i am still treating this a fairly early april fool's day
  i don't care what anybody says