By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What the hell is a 3DS?

@ pr00f

Both 3D?

I'm expecting just one screen to be 3D (the bottom one) while the other could be a regular one, even not being touch enable (the top one, it's awkward to touch your DS top screen while your holding it regularly, try it for yourself)

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
theprof00 said:
Soundwave said:

Iwata says pretty cleary in the press release that 3DS is the SUCCESSOR (in fact he uses that exact word) to the current DS line.

I browse like 5 or 6 major forums and this is the only thread where there's a hang up about the name, lol. 

yes but is it mean "another in the DS line" or "seperate to the DS line"?

In fact, by definition, that means "next DS"

It means a new DS. 

As in SUCCESSOR. 

Nintendo has never labelled the DSi or DSi XL as the successor to the DS. 

It is what the PS2 was the PS1 or what the GBA was to the GB/GBC. 

And it's about time. It's almost 6 years ... what did you think? That Nintendo was going to just rest on their laurels for another 2 or 3 years?

Expect PSP2 this year as well. 

I s'pose you're right; even if I do disagree on the semantics.

It seems different enough to be called DS2 or some such thing. I just don't want to get there and find that it basically plays DS games in 3d.

DS2 is a lame name.

3DS is better because it incorporates the main new feature -- the 3D effect. I'm glad they went with '3DS' over 'DS2'.

Bamboleo said:
@ pr00f

Both 3D?

I'm expecting just one screen to be 3D (the bottom one) while the other could be a regular one, even not being touch enable (the top one, it's awkward to touch your DS top screen while your holding it regularly, try it for yourself)

both don't have to be touch screens, silly.

Just that the bottom 3d screen would also be a touch screen. Who knows, though. Maybe they didn't mean for the syncing to be both 3d. I guess a game could just not use the 3d effect for the top screen. But I'm pretty sure they made it a point to have the screens form one giant screen.

Soundwave said:
DS2 is a lame name.

3DS is better because it incorporates the main new feature -- the 3D effect. I'm glad they went with '3DS' over 'DS2'.

You mean LADYLOO

Around the Network

Prof, the thing here is that you're thinking on this wrong - being backwards compatible with the DS and DSi doesn't mean that it's jsut a feature expansion on the DS. It's not. It's a standalone piece of hardware that (hopefully) will have games where the experience of 3D renderings is integral to gameplay.

It's not going to play DS games in 3D. They're not programmed to be layered in the way that the 3DS is apparently going to display games. It's going to play DS games, sure, but it will also play games developed specifically for this console (this will be the body of games bought for it, for obvious reasons) in 3D.

I mean, it's going to have a freaking analog stick. What the Hell is that doing on a DS?

The DSi is a DSL with upgraded specs, two cameras, an SD slot, and downloadable games.

The 3DS is a DSi with upgraded specs, a 3D screen, a thumbstick, integrated rumble, an accelerometer, and who knows what else.

The really important distinction? When Nintendo says there will be 3DS-exclusive games, they really mean it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

leo-j said:
You guys need to realize it says 3DS

"3 DIMENSIONAL SCREEN"

Nintendo when releasing a true nexgen system have never re used the name

NES, 64, GC, WII

GB, DS

NES -> SNES or GB -> GBA?

And as I undertand that kind of 3D in your link is already possible on DSi.

GBA is seen as a different generation to GB/GBC

Now you also probably know why there aren't many/ if any DSi-only software titles ... Nintendo never intended it to be the DS successor.

That is the 3DS, and it's now going to get all the development support.

Makes sense too because really the DS future releases list has dried up something fierce the last little while. Obviously those devs have been working on something else and now we know what it is.

Enjoy Golden Sun DS and Dragon Quest IX, those are likely to be the last big hurrahs for the current DS (had a helluva run).