By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS Announced! (3D!!)

CloudPhoenix said:

One thing has me wondering.. will it still be Dual screens? Because i'm so used to Dual screens now.

It'll still be dual screens, hence 3DS.

Also, the screens are supposedly closer together so that when opened, acts as a single large screen.

So, you get extrawide screen when turned sideway.

That'll be awesome as an ebook/browser due to more reading room.

Around the Network

Just as a side note on Sony doing 3D on the PS3, and why some people may have thought that it was pointless ...

Without even considering the likelihood that the PS3 could produce similar graphics to what people have become accustomed to while supporting 3D displays, the big advantages the 3-DS has over a home console is that the 3D display(s) are included in the purchase price of the system. At this point in time, there are so few people who have 3D displays in their homes, so many people who recently (past few years) bought a HDTV, and still so many people using a SDTV, that a feature like 3D output to a TV is never going to be used by most people who own a PS3. In a lot of ways you could see this as being similar to the N64 being able to support HD resolutions; while people might think it was a cool feature, most people would concede that it was pointless at this point in time.

As I have said before, I do agree that this may not be the only improvement that Nintendo has in store; and the reason I think this is that a 3D display seems like a very conventional enhancement compared to what Nintendo has done in the past. I do admit that this could be the major difference between the DS and the 3-DS. Nintendo may believe the theory (which I think has merit) that the industry alternates between evolutionary and revolutionary generations; and while the DS and Wii were fairly revolutionary, their successors could be evolutionary improvements on what they provided.

Roma said:
Xoj said:
puffy said:
There is a major difference between the 3D Sony is doing and the 3D Nintendo is doing.

Sony: Supporting a new viewing format ala HD.

Nintendo: integrating a brand new display type (for places other than Japan) into their hardware.

If you still don't see the differences then I'll give you some more things to ponder.

- The 3D screen will be the central idea behind the 3DS, just as motion controls were behind the Wii
- PS3 3D support will be an added feature, just like the PlayStation Move isn't central to the PS3 experience, just an add on.
- Nintendo's 3DS will be the first mass produced consumer device to have an auto-stereoscopic display in the west.
- PS3 will join the computer at being able to support 3D screens and glasses.

Hopefully you can see the distinction here. Nintendo isn't copying Sony.

just like sony isn't copying nintendo.

it's apply different technology to produce the same outcome just when it's nintendo doing it it's innovation.

tilt control / rumble used in games have been in nokia , sony ericsson phones, nintendo it's using it a handheld  console where nokia/se, main focus was phones though many games used the feature.

lol you mean using different technology to do the same thing is not coping the idea? They can’t use the same technology as it is patented to Nintendo but if it wasn’t Sony and others would not even think about it, they would just copy and paste.

Nice try spinning it around to make it not seem as they are copying :)

so you are saying nintendo it's copying using having 3d in their handheld like sony on the ps3?

Xoj said:

so you are saying nintendo it's copying using having 3d in their handheld like sony on the ps3?

Nintendo had a 3D portable in 1995.    

And there's a world of difference between glasses-free 3D in a dedicated handheld versus Sony's glasses-mandatory hacked PS3 solution (which still isn't even on the market yet).  This isn't at all like the Move wand being an embarrassing Wiimote clone, even down to it's PR shots.

Vectorferret said:

Feature wish list:
Good button layout (generally a given with Nintendo)
DS backwards compatability

Full DS/DSi backwards compatibility was confirmed already... which likely means we can expect a dpad, abxylr, touchscreen, 2 cameras and a microphone.   The only quation is a possible migration route for DSiWare games already purchased, but knowing Nintendo I wouldn't get my hopes up. :/

Around the Network

in my opinion 3D screens are just the tip of the iceberg , i think that so called 3 stick can be something totaly new, backward compatibility all readys says that the button/functions layout will be similiar (if not the same) of the one we found on the regular DS, just want the Game cube like graphics , the 3d free of f*** glasses, and the native function of video,picture and music. and you will be gold *-*

-Can you imagine if the cameras has in some way the power to take pictures in 3D ?

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Xoj said:
Roma said:
Xoj said:
puffy said:
There is a major difference between the 3D Sony is doing and the 3D Nintendo is doing.

Sony: Supporting a new viewing format ala HD.

Nintendo: integrating a brand new display type (for places other than Japan) into their hardware.

If you still don't see the differences then I'll give you some more things to ponder.

- The 3D screen will be the central idea behind the 3DS, just as motion controls were behind the Wii
- PS3 3D support will be an added feature, just like the PlayStation Move isn't central to the PS3 experience, just an add on.
- Nintendo's 3DS will be the first mass produced consumer device to have an auto-stereoscopic display in the west.
- PS3 will join the computer at being able to support 3D screens and glasses.

Hopefully you can see the distinction here. Nintendo isn't copying Sony.

just like sony isn't copying nintendo.

it's apply different technology to produce the same outcome just when it's nintendo doing it it's innovation.

tilt control / rumble used in games have been in nokia , sony ericsson phones, nintendo it's using it a handheld  console where nokia/se, main focus was phones though many games used the feature.

lol you mean using different technology to do the same thing is not coping the idea? They can’t use the same technology as it is patented to Nintendo but if it wasn’t Sony and others would not even think about it, they would just copy and paste.

Nice try spinning it around to make it not seem as they are copying :)

No just further developing 3D from virtual boy you know the system that failed? The red thing you put on your head. yes that is an old machine and that is haw long ago Nintendo did 3D

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Metallicube said:
Mummelmann said:
Metallicube said:
Mummelmann said:
I just love two things in this thread, number one; it suddenly doesn't matter who was first with things (tech and ideas) any more and number two; 3D was stupid and useless until Nintendo decided to use it. Gotta love Vgchartz.

First of all, Sony is not the god or creator of 3-D. If you want to get technical, Nintendo actually implemented it first in gaming with the Virtual Boy. Yeah it sucked but that's besides the point. What 3-D has Sony done so far?

Second, I have nothing against 3-D. What I do have problems with is forking out $1500 on a 3D TV when I just bought an HDTV and wearing stupid glasses to play 3-D games.

Third, I guarentee you 3-D won't be the only feature of 3DS knowing Nintendo. It will probably have other unique features as well, like a mic, voice recognition, camera, accelerometers, touch control, who knows.. But 3-D won't be its only feature, just like dual screens wasn't the only feature for the DS when they first announced it.

First point; I never said they were nor did I claim they've done anything 3D yet. You think I see them as a god? Explains why you wrote with such fire and brimstone in the first place. Fyi, I am a PC gamer at heart and have been for at least five years or so.

Second point; I never said you (Metallicube specifically) did, but go back and read the 3D news stories that came before the 3DS announcement, lots of laughs and shaking of heads over how silly it is to be thinking about 3D yet. 3D will be as big as HD, the sales of 3D cinema tickets has exploded here in Europe and is still climbing towards the sky.

Third; again; where did I claim that? You seem to be deciding everything I think and are putting words in my mouth.

My point is; this site has been running rampant with "who was first" threads with accusations of copying all over the place but now that is suddenly irrelevant, it doesn't matter who was first (which, comically enough is something I agree with 100%). And the whole notion of 3D was scoffed at as some crazy, way too early tack-on for HD consoles and HDTV's, not 3D pertaining specifically to TV's and home consoles but the tech as a whole and now it is suddenly not only brilliant but innovative (yes, its a handheld, its still hardly a smashing innovation to implement already existing technology into a different product).

The worst part is, I'm actually somewhat excited about this device and what it can do but the double standards in here makes me sick sometimes.

I didn't intend for my post to come off as angry, so if you got that impression sorry. I meant "Sony is not the god of 3-D," there are plenty of other companies on the 3-D bandwagon and I don't think Sony was the first. 

It just seemed like you were insinuating all Nintendo fans were hypocritical that thought 3-D was stupid until Nintendo decided to use it (as some other people have done), which I was simply explaining why some people might find this type of 3-D more appealing than having to wear glasses and fork out extra money for a new TV. For the record, I DO still think having to wear glasses and spending money on a new TV just to experience 3-D is pretty crazy... Spending $150-$200 on a brand new handheld that does the 3-D effects for you with no glasses is a bit different.

My 3rd point I was just offering my own input, I didn't claim you said that. My point there was that it is likely that knowing Nintendo, 3DS will use other new features that may very well end up being "firsts" anyway.

I don't really care about "who was first" either, but I do find it pretty annoying when Sony mocks the very thing they are now immitating in the case of the Move, and are acting like it's their bright idea. - I assume that's what you're refering to regarding the double standards.

Reading this post makes me think we're not really in disagreement at all, good post! The double standards are all over the place, both fans, manufacturers and developers for all platforms do it, its the way of business and fandom I guess. I remember being a rather biased and less than nuanced young man when I joined up here, the years on Vgchartz has provided me with a broader and more realistic perspective on everything and anything gaming related and I see lots of other users having turnarounds as well!

Some of my bitternes (you know, the bitterness that shines through in many of my more whiny posts) stems from the simple fact that I am quite disappointed with this consoles generation, doubly so when I see a lot of people dubbing it "the best ever". Feels like I've missed out on something. I can't help but think that either the market has changed for real or my tastes have (which is unlikely, since I still go back and play and enjoy the same games as before).

Slight derail there... anyway, thanks for clearing it more up in your second post!