By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS Announced! (3D!!)

ameratsu said:

Wow the crow eating on this one is going to be huge.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6878
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=100321

Congrats to the people who guessed DS2.

edit: More crow! http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=100031

Naznatips, where are yoooou?????

Around the Network

I hope the graphics are gamecube level.
Im happy with innovation, but I want raw increases in processing power, as well.
Too many DS games have fallen back onto looking almost like GBA games (i.e. the DS pokemons).
I'm interested to see how the 3D will turn out.

*puts some crow on the barbecue*
I was sure there wasn't going to be a DS successor this soon.

As for the features my thoughts:
3D: If it looks good and uses no glasses, then I'm impressed
Rumble: Meh. I hope it can be turned off, I'd rather have more battery life than a potentially noisy and minor feature.
Analog stick: This is good, as long as we still have a D-Pad for side scrollers.
Tilt: Unsure. I find analog sticks much better for analog control than tilt when tilting also moves the screen. I guess on how games use it.

Feature wish list:
Good button layout (generally a given with Nintendo)
DS backwards compatability
Virtual handheld: At the very least, with GBA so I can still play the two Metroids and Mario Advance series.

3DS - 2277 - 6636 - 6675 WiiU - Vectorferret
(Write on wall or PM if adding)

I'm in for this 3DS!

Show me the New 5th Generation Pokemon Game running on the new handheld and I'm sold.

I'm excited, sad, and excited!

Excited (1) - Come on, who wouldn't be? New Nintendo handheld! Not just a hardware revision, but THE DS2. The next generation of handheld gaming. Just that fact alone is enough to get excited, but the 3D and motion details are icing on the cake. This isn't even counting what hasn't been revealed yet (this is Nintendo, 3DS has more secrets) or the fact that we haven't even seen any games! Whoamgggggggggggg!!11

Sad - End of an era. Looking at my DS (phat) makes me sad, its time is nearly 'over.' There are still so many DS games in my backlog to experience, but at least the clearance of DS games will make it easier to catch up on that backlog once 3DS takes off.

Excited (2) - The implications this has for the site. New sales to track, new debates and arguments, new megatons and exclusives to discuss, new users caught in the hype, etc. MORE POSSIBILITIES! Quick! Someone add a 3DS section and tag to the site! One day that tag will be under my avatar.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

For people saying 3D isn't enough don't worry too much.

I mean all the hype about the DS was that it had two screens but the real innovation was the touch screen and the mic was pretty cool too. Nintendo doesn't invent new technology. They make that new tech work for games. That's where they excel.

Once we see the software that's when the real buzz is going to hit.

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

ClaudeLv250 said:
I'm excited, sad, and excited!

Excited (1) - Come on, who wouldn't be? New Nintendo handheld! Not just a hardware revision, but THE DS2. The next generation of handheld gaming. Just that fact alone is enough to get excited, but the 3D and motion details are icing on the cake. This isn't even counting what hasn't been revealed yet (this is Nintendo, 3DS has more secrets) or the fact that we haven't even seen any games! Whoamgggggggggggg!!11

Sad - End of an era. Looking at my DS (phat) makes me sad, its time is nearly 'over.' There are still so many DS games in my backlog to experience, but at least the clearance of DS games will make it easier to catch up on that backlog once 3DS takes off.

Excited (2) - The implications this has for the site. New sales to track, new debates and arguments, new megatons and exclusives to discuss, new users caught in the hype, etc. MORE POSSIBILITIES! Quick! Someone add a 3DS section and tag to the site! One day that tag will be under my avatar.

Excited (2) I can't help but agree with the most. I find myself tracking consoles more than I play them. It's going to bring back all the freshness this site had when I first started visiting just over 3 years ago.

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

LuStaysTru said:

I mean all the hype about the DS was that it had two screens but the real innovation was the touch screen and the mic was pretty cool too. Nintendo doesn't invent new technology. They make that new tech work for games. That's where they excel.

Actually, I would say that Nintendo's greatest successes come from taking old (arguably obsolete) technology and applying it to videogames in a way that people didn’t think of. The DS’s touch screen and the solid-state accelerometers in the Wiimote were actually fairly old technology (as was the analogue stick on the N64 controller) that no one had thought of using in that way before.

HappySqurriel said:
LuStaysTru said:

Actually, I would say that Nintendo's greatest successes come from taking old (arguably obsolete) technology and applying it to videogames in a way that people didn’t think of. The DS’s touch screen and the solid-state accelerometers in the Wiimote were actually fairly old technology (as was the analogue stick on the N64 controller) that no one had thought of using in that way before.

I stand corrected.

Goes back to my previous statement. What's old is New again.

Who cares who did what first.
The important thing is making it mainstream, that is innovation.

Creating it first is only... creation.

Innovation is when you bring the tech to the masses and making it successful and profitable.