By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS Announced! (3D!!)

Xoj said:
Squilliam said:
Mummelmann said:
I just love two things in this thread, number one; it suddenly doesn't matter who was first with things (tech and ideas) any more and number two; 3D was stupid and useless until Nintendo decided to use it. Gotta love Vgchartz.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense the way they implemented it than trying to tack it onto a console which doesn't have the fillrate/overall performance to do it comfortably and without the TVs to display it properly.

u know, ps3 have more than 3ds to do so, and many TVs will have tech to do it without glasses. :p

it's easier to do on a smaller device sony focus was it's console. having the tv it's only the problem but console support for it, and they already promised make ps3 compatible.

The 3DS is a completely new system whereas Sony are trying to tack on 3D to a system which is already reaching certain performance limitations to the detriment of 3D. The TV is only a part of the issue, its also about coming out with good 3D content which is made harder by the fact that developers have taken up much of the performance slack already so there isn't much room to squeeze 3D in for most games.

My opinion is that aside from GT5 which will do 3D admirably like how Halo 2 was the online gaming champion last generation it will be one of the few really good 3D experiences and it'll take a next generation console to do 3D properly.

Tease.

Around the Network

There is a major difference between the 3D Sony is doing and the 3D Nintendo is doing.

Sony: Supporting a new viewing format ala HD.

Nintendo: integrating a brand new display type (for places other than Japan) into their hardware.

If you still don't see the differences then I'll give you some more things to ponder.

- The 3D screen will be the central idea behind the 3DS, just as motion controls were behind the Wii
- PS3 3D support will be an added feature, just like the PlayStation Move isn't central to the PS3 experience, just an add on.
- Nintendo's 3DS will be the first mass produced consumer device to have an auto-stereoscopic display in the west.
- PS3 will join the computer at being able to support 3D screens and glasses.

Hopefully you can see the distinction here. Nintendo isn't copying Sony.

Mummelmann said:
I just love two things in this thread, number one; it suddenly doesn't matter who was first with things (tech and ideas) any more and number two; 3D was stupid and useless until Nintendo decided to use it. Gotta love Vgchartz.

First of all, Sony is not the god or creator of 3-D. If you want to get technical, Nintendo actually implemented it first in gaming with the Virtual Boy. Yeah it sucked but that's besides the point. What 3-D has Sony done so far?

Second, I have nothing against 3-D. What I do have problems with is forking out $1500 on a 3D TV when I just bought an HDTV and wearing stupid glasses to play 3-D games.

Third, I guarentee you 3-D won't be the only feature of 3DS knowing Nintendo. It will probably have other unique features as well, like a mic, voice recognition, camera, accelerometers, touch control, who knows.. But 3-D won't be its only feature, just like dual screens wasn't the only feature for the DS when they first announced it.

puffy said:
There is a major difference between the 3D Sony is doing and the 3D Nintendo is doing.

Sony: Supporting a new viewing format ala HD.

Nintendo: integrating a brand new display type (for places other than Japan) into their hardware.

If you still don't see the differences then I'll give you some more things to ponder.

- The 3D screen will be the central idea behind the 3DS, just as motion controls were behind the Wii
- PS3 3D support will be an added feature, just like the PlayStation Move isn't central to the PS3 experience, just an add on.
- Nintendo's 3DS will be the first mass produced consumer device to have an auto-stereoscopic display in the west.
- PS3 will join the computer at being able to support 3D screens and glasses.

Hopefully you can see the distinction here. Nintendo isn't copying Sony.

just like sony isn't copying nintendo.

it's apply different technology to produce the same outcome just when it's nintendo doing it it's innovation.

tilt control / rumble used in games have been in nokia , sony ericsson phones, nintendo it's using it a handheld  console where nokia/se, main focus was phones though many games used the feature.

Just you wait. I'll be holding my 52'' 3DTV to play my 3D games. It'll also tilt and tumble... on top of my dead body.

Around the Network
Galaki said:
Just you wait. I'll be holding my 52'' 3DTV to play my 3D games. It'll also tilt and tumble... on top of my dead body.

My 53" Bravia has tilt functionality as its on a moveable arm. Unfortunately its a little too heavy for said arm and im afraid its going to tear off the wall eventually.

Tease.

Metallicube said:
Mummelmann said:

First of all, Sony is not the god or creator of 3-D. If you want to get technical, Nintendo actually implemented it first in gaming with the Virtual Boy. Yeah it sucked but that's besides the point. What 3-D has Sony done so far?

Second, I have nothing against 3-D. What I do have problems with is forking out $1500 on a 3D TV when I just bought an HDTV and wearing stupid glasses to play 3-D games.

Third, I guarentee you 3-D won't be the only feature of 3DS knowing Nintendo. It will probably have other unique features as well, like a mic, voice recognition, camera, accelerometers, touch control, who knows.. But 3-D won't be its only feature, just like dual screens wasn't the only feature for the DS when they first announced it.

Well I was going to post a harsh and scathing () reply but you got it pretty much covered.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Metallicube said:
Mummelmann said:

First point; I never said they were nor did I claim they've done anything 3D yet. You think I see them as a god? Explains why you wrote with such fire and brimstone in the first place. Fyi, I am a PC gamer at heart and have been for at least five years or so.

Second point; I never said you (Metallicube specifically) did, but go back and read the 3D news stories that came before the 3DS announcement, lots of laughs and shaking of heads over how silly it is to be thinking about 3D yet. 3D will be as big as HD, the sales of 3D cinema tickets has exploded here in Europe and is still climbing towards the sky.

Third; again; where did I claim that? You seem to be deciding everything I think and are putting words in my mouth.

My point is; this site has been running rampant with "who was first" threads with accusations of copying all over the place but now that is suddenly irrelevant, it doesn't matter who was first (which, comically enough is something I agree with 100%). And the whole notion of 3D was scoffed at as some crazy, way too early tack-on for HD consoles and HDTV's, not 3D pertaining specifically to TV's and home consoles but the tech as a whole and now it is suddenly not only brilliant but innovative (yes, its a handheld, its still hardly a smashing innovation to implement already existing technology into a different product).

The worst part is, I'm actually somewhat excited about this device and what it can do but the double standards in here makes me sick sometimes.

i just bought a new HDTV last year for $1200, no way i'm getting a new TV for a very long time. Not really all that excited about 3D, but it makes much more sense on a system that includes the screen on the system.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Yeah, I bought a new HDTV myself last september for 2000$ so I'll be wearing 3D glasses for a while...