By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Reviewers needed! Apply now!

Machina said:
Further to what Kantor said, based on the applications we've received so far, we now only have ~2 spots left to fill on the team. So be sure to complete your reviews quickly if you want them to be considered for this recruitment drive.

:( .............Can I still apply even if the positions are filled?

@dunno, are you doing Strange Journey?

Around the Network
Mirson said:
Machina said:
Further to what Kantor said, based on the applications we've received so far, we now only have ~2 spots left to fill on the team. So be sure to complete your reviews quickly if you want them to be considered for this recruitment drive.

:( .............Can I still apply even if the positions are filled?

@dunno, are you doing Strange Journey?

It just came in from Amazon today, so no. I was looking at Infinite Space, but since the review positions are apt to be filled before I finish it, I've gone back to playing Fragile. Sure, I'd rather be able to enjoy games, and most of the games I enjoy are long. But when fighting a timer, well...

I'd guess I'm about a third done with Infinite, and I could probably get another third done by this weekend. (Maybe even more, since this is a vacation week for me.) But I think all the positions will be gone by then. If it wasn't for the timing case, I'd still be interested, mainly on the portables side, but... I don't even know what systems they have accepted for already.

EDIT: A little typo that would have annoyed me.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

@machina

Check your messages, I sent you one.

Well, I just got back from some surgery. All went well. Let see what people on vgchartz do in the middle of the day

so how do you guys decide which staff member will review x game..is it first come first serve? or does naz assign games? i mean i can see everyone wanting to review something like halo reach, but who will get to do it?

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
so how do you guys decide which staff member will review x game..is it first come first serve? or does naz assign games? i mean i can see everyone wanting to review something like halo reach, but who will get to do it?

Weird that you ask that because we just changed it.  It used to be that 2 weeks before a game was released the first person to call it would get to review the game. 

We recently switched to a system where each month people make a list of up to three games that they want to review in the upcoming month.  They have from the 20th until the 27th to make their list.  Naznatips, myself, and Machina then assign games to people based on what they wanted, and if more than one person wants a game we base it off a priority ranking that we made based on the reviewers consistency in fast reviews and dependent on what platform we want them to focus on.  Basically it all comes down to numbers which I just made a spreadsheet for in Excel.

Torillian said:
radiantshadow92 said:

Weird that you ask that because we just changed it.  It used to be that 2 weeks before a game was released the first person to call it would get to review the game. 

We recently switched to a system where each month people make a list of up to three games that they want to review in the upcoming month.  They have from the 20th until the 27th to make their list.  Naznatips, myself, and Machina then assign games to people based on what they wanted, and if more than one person wants a game we base it off a priority ranking that we made based on the reviewers consistency in fast reviews and dependent on what platform we want them to focus on.  Basically it all comes down to numbers which I just made a spreadsheet for in Excel.

ah i see, that seems alot better than the hey i got here first so its my game. i really hope i make it to the team. 

yeah, here's to hoping :) And first come first serve would kinda suck because of time zone differences, etc. The described method seems to be ok :)

I sent in a review per the prompting of Nick Simberg. I sent it to the e-mail in the first post. *Crosses Fingers*

So here's the deal folks. We've gotten so many great applications that I can't in good conscience accept any more. This drive unearthed more writing talent than all the recruitment drives before it combined. So, with that in mind, I'm giving you guys final notice. You have till this time tomorrow to send me an application, then I'm shutting it down and doing additions. In light of this, I will now accept any review as a sample, even if it's an old game or already reviewed game, so that those of you who would otherwise miss this deadline may at least get considered.

The way we do additions will be changing this time as well. Before, I basically made the choice myself, after getting feedback from the editors, but this time there are so many great applications from so many great writers that I'm going to do things slightly differently. All the editors will vote. If you haven't gotten an outright decline from me, then your application will be among those considered in the voting. Each editor will vote for their top 3 new writers, and the 4 highest scoring writers will get positions, assuming they cover the platform needs well.

So that's how it is. You have until 8PM EST tomorrow to send me your reviews. After that voting starts, and will last for a few days, then the decisions will be made. Good luck to you all, and thanks for the great submissions.