By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy 13 has the best battle system.

It's a great system since it's pretty strategic, but I wouldn't call it the best. That honour goes to Parasite Eve, for me at least xD

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

It's very good, probably best in a Final Fantasy game. However, there are some flaws and changes I'd make:

1. Be able to set AI prior to battle so what buffs/debuffs (e.g. If Enemy fire based > Fire buff else Haste>Protect>Shell etc.) kinda like the Dragon Age/FFXII system.

2. Transition between paradigms should be quicker.

3. Be able to mave the character manually to get out the way of offensive spells/moves.

Scoobes said:
It's very good, probably best in a Final Fantasy game. However, there are some flaws and changes I'd make:

1. Be able to set AI prior to battle so what buffs/debuffs (e.g. If Enemy fire based > Fire buff else Haste>Protect>Shell etc.) kinda like the Dragon Age/FFXII system.

3. Be able to mave the character manually to get out the way of offensive spells/moves.

1. They are actually quite good using bar or bal element if needed, and they do do haste first at least....

3. I am undecided on this one, as some attacks are based on position and if you can't move, then surely it is unfair. On the other hand, I don't want it to turn into an action RPG

I love it.

pbroy said:
I actually liked Star Ocean 4's better. But this is the best one on a Final Fantasy. For some reason it feels weird now, not being able to run around in battles when the action doesn't wait for you.

This allll the way, FFXIII's "action" battle system is much less action packed comapred to SO4's which was and is still really fun ... if there was one defining flaw about FFXIII it was its battle system, you can't even control the character movements, if you could the game would be much more fun from a gameplay standpoint.

Imo, the should have done this part of the game alot better, i think the ideal fun battle system FF game this gen will and has always been Versus XIII.

Around the Network

I agree with scoobes, those changes would iron out what is probably the best feeling battle system in any Final Fantasy. The difficulty is also shockingly high for a series western reviewers were worried was getting easier and easier with each iteration a few years ago.

It can be really fucking frustrating, especially the summon battles which have pretty much always taken me at least three tries (and sometimes as many as ten.) But after getting your butt kicked in a really hard battle, you remember how many different ways you have to manipulate fighting conditions before the battle begins -- by getting a preemptive strike, by using the items that buff you before a battle, or by equipping weapons and accessories specially tailored to a given battle (or changing your party for certain parts of the game.)

FFXIII forces you to utilize every aspect of the game in order to get through, which is definitely the most challenging experience I can remember in an FF.

Overall, I would say it's a great battle system that still manages to have plenty of its own flaws, but at least one of them isn't sitting around being bored while you win every fight.

I still prefer Grandia's system though -- there's so much thought that goes into interrupting enemies in those games, whereas in FFXIII it feels mostly random.

I'd also say the Tales battle system edges it out for me, but only because it has a multiplayer option.

Munkeh111 said:
Scoobes said:

1. They are actually quite good using bar or bal element if needed, and they do do haste first at least....

3. I am undecided on this one, as some attacks are based on position and if you can't move, then surely it is unfair. On the other hand, I don't want it to turn into an action RPG

1. They are good but I still think you should have the option to override the AI prior to a fight. A few times they've done the wrong thing or I thought to myself "Doing X would be better than Y". Not often, but enough times.

3. Basically even if they make it so you can't move a better evasion setup is needed. It's just a bit cheap when you have positional attacks if you can't take up a better strategic position. Combine with an AI system in 1 and you could have all party members spread out a bit better when not attacking/casting so a spell that hurts 1 character doesn't effect them all.

Munkeh111 said:
Lafiel said:

no, there is a major flaw to it..

buffing/debuffing and reviving

the party members are not seldomly doing the wrong buffs (f*cking do haste and protes first damned Hope) and prioritise healing ~80% full members to raising a dead one

and they don't debuff "slow" quickly enough either .. really, that spell can screw one up in this game more than almost every other (of course "pain", "stop" and "fog" are pretty wicked as well)

Yeah, that annoys me too, but I still think it is a great system

yea, it's great and I like that it's different from the other FFs, but I'd prefer to be able to control the other characters though, because I'm a control maniac :P

I agree its the BEST BATTLE SYSTEM in a JRPG EVER!

but I would love it if we hade online co-op!

Thats the next STEP for single Player FF....online co-op!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

When I figured out the depth of it all, I really started to love it. Still, I prefer having the ability to make my own choices. It's all subject to opinion. It works and it makes you feel badass. I still prefer Grandia II, though.