By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy 13 has the best battle system.

darthdevidem01 said:
I agree its the BEST BATTLE SYSTEM in a JRPG EVER!

but I would love it if we hade online co-op!

Thats the next STEP for single Player FF....online co-op!

I think Tales takes that title

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
pbroy said:
I actually liked Star Ocean 4's better. But this is the best one on a Final Fantasy. For some reason it feels weird now, not being able to run around in battles when the action doesn't wait for you.

This allll the way, FFXIII's "action" battle system is much less action packed comapred to SO4's which was and is still really fun ... if there was one defining flaw about FFXIII it was its battle system, you can't even control the character movements, if you could the game would be much more fun from a gameplay standpoint.

Imo, the should have done this part of the game alot better, i think the ideal fun battle system FF game this gen will and has always been Versus XIII.

I agree, the only thing that annoyed me with XIII's battle system is that you can't move. I hated it when your three characters huddled together and you all get ravaged by a 'Ga spell or a wide area melee attack.

I definitely disagree with this. I do like how it was fast paced. But I don't think it is better than Xs. That one was just amazing.

I'm not very far into the game (about 10 hours, I think) but I find the lack of a retreat option, changing of armor/weapons, choosing to defend instead of attack, and choose my party (I think that becomes an option later in the game, though) troubling. This is the first RPG where I feel pretty confident that whoever goes into battle is capable of getting the job done, though. Normally, there's somebody that I'd refrain from using because they're a big pussy. Not sure how I feel about the level-up system, either. But like I said, it's super deep and it works very well. I can't wait to play more of it!

*edit* after re-reading the OP, I have to say controlling only one pre-deciced person is definitely a negative in my book.  I like to be in control of it all.  And the level up system is actually more linear than something like the "Grid" from FFX.  The Crystarium (at this point in the game) only allows me to build my characters in only one way.  After that, even if I have extra Crystal Points, I can't build up my characters anymore unless we finish a particular story point.  --just a couple of minor quibbles that I have.  Like I said, it's just a matter of personal taste.

Well I disagree but it's still a good combat system.

I think the best one I've seen is in DQVIII.

Around the Network
Boutros said:

I still can't bring myself to finish that game. Bought it for the FF XII demo.

Wagram said:
Boutros said:

I still can't bring myself to finish that game. Bought it for the FF XII demo.

You should try again. It only gets better.

A strategy guide is needed to pass this game. Trying to figure out the right squad and the right strategies would take a long time through a trial and error process.
If you are struggling with the normal speed battle system change it to a slow speed battle system.

Kilzoned82 said:

A strategy guide is needed to pass this game. Trying to figure out the right squad and the right strategies would take a long time through a trial and error process.
If you are struggling with the normal speed battle system change it to a slow speed battle system.

No it's not. The game is actually quite easy. Only time I needed a guide was to figure out how to effiectively take down the Adamantoises and the Shao/Xiao Long Guis.

Boutros said:

<_<