By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy 13 has the best battle system.

here I thought everyone knew that Grandia has the best combat system

Around the Network
g-value said:
Fab_GS said:
The best thing about the game is the battle system. Grinding is way more fun that I expected it to be.

I disagree. While the combat system for FFXIII is amazing, I feel the best aspect of it is its characters. They are all awesome. I've never liked FF characters this much before. Surprisingly, I actually feel that FFXIII's storyline is its weakest point (though its still good).

I agree about the story being its weakest point.
I'm still at chapter 9, though. It's too early to tell whether the charecter development is that good or not.

DQV FTW!!

@g-value

I agree the characaters are so awesome

BEST FF cast EVER!

But then I do think the story definetely doesn't stand up to the awesomness of the charactaers (the story is still very good though).

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Is it complex?

Then I don't like it.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Is it complex?

Then I don't like it.

No, it's simple and elegant.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
dtewi said:
KungKras said:
Is it complex?

Then I don't like it.

It is?

Well, that was a pleasant surprise.

how is it compared to FFVIII?

I LOVE ICELAND!

dtewi said:
d21lewis said:

I'm not very far into the game (about 10 hours, I think) but I find the lack of a retreat option, changing of armor/weapons, choosing to defend instead of attack, and choose my party (I think that becomes an option later in the game, though) troubling. This is the first RPG where I feel pretty confident that whoever goes into battle is capable of getting the job done, though. Normally, there's somebody that I'd refrain from using because they're a big pussy. Not sure how I feel about the level-up system, either. But like I said, it's super deep and it works very well. I can't wait to play more of it!

*edit* after re-reading the OP, I have to say controlling only one pre-deciced person is definitely a negative in my book.  I like to be in control of it all.  And the level up system is actually more linear than something like the "Grid" from FFX.  The Crystarium (at this point in the game) only allows me to build my characters in only one way.  After that, even if I have extra Crystal Points, I can't build up my characters anymore unless we finish a particular story point.  --just a couple of minor quibbles that I have.  Like I said, it's just a matter of personal taste.

Actually there is a retreat option.

Push start then retry and it puts you before you faced that battle.

Oh, and around Chapter 9, you'll have no way to max your crystarium for even ONE role and you'll have multiple of them. Fuck, I had 15000CP for one person, and I barely got far with the new expansion.

OT: It's absolutely brilliant. I love it.

Does this include a halarious running away animation/soud effect?  If not, then it doesn't count.  Who says so?  I do!

KungKras said:
dtewi said:
KungKras said:
Is it complex?

Then I don't like it.

It is?

Around 7.6 trillion times better.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

KungKras said:
dtewi said:
KungKras said:
Is it complex?

Then I don't like it.

It is?

Oh, it kicks FFVIII in the pussy.  Despite my minor complaints, I love it immensly.  The only battle system I like more is Grandia II and I haven't played that game in almost a decade.  If I went back and played it, my mind will probably be changed.

I agree, its the most addicting Final Fantasy game I've ever played. I have God of War 3 and Resonance of Fate sitting here, and I haven't even touched them yet...

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix!