By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will never catch the the 360 now. Wii won a long time ago.

Bamboleo said:
By generic games he may mean "not novelties" since GoW3 its not properly a new IP that can be a system seller.

And don't understimate the power of Gran Turismo 5, which is more system seller then Halo Reach.

yeah but gow3 and gt5 are all the first next-gen sequels. That is a big difference compared to the soon to be third halo 360 game.

Around the Network

It actually only comes down to natal. MSFT already has a $199 console on the market and has for a while, Sony still has a price cut bump still to go. I say only natal because right now, the PS3 is comfortably outselling the 360 WW by 50k in the slow season so the move, which may or may not provide a sizable bump isnt a must for sony to eventually catch the 360. However, if Natal explodes MSFT comfortably stays ahead of Sony.

Natal needs to negate the inevitable (albeit most likely small) Move bump, the 50k per week right now, Arguable the biggest release this gen (GT5) and another price reduction below the coveted $200 for the PS3. These factors considered id say its a toss up right now, but i say an educated guess right now puts me in the camp that says eventually PS3 overtakes the 360.

theprof00 said:
Bamboleo said:
By generic games he may mean "not novelties" since GoW3 its not properly a new IP that can be a system seller.

And don't understimate the power of Gran Turismo 5, which is more system seller then Halo Reach.

yeah but gow3 and gt5 are all the first next-gen sequels. That is a big difference compared to the soon to be third halo 360 game.

I wouldn't call ODST a full sequel.  It's more like GT5 Prologue in a weird way actually.

at least we all agree tht Wii has 100% won the generation...anybody who disagrees with that must be deluded.

Additionally, just last summer, people had graphs showing how long it would take ps3 to close the gap. Those graphs showed that it would take sony 7 years or so, outselling by 50k a week where it was then currently losing by 20k per week. The "war" was called. MS won. Then Xmas happened and now it's starting to look like Sony will be caught up in 2 years.

Around the Network
Hammertime said:
at least we all agree tht Wii has 100% won the generation...anybody who disagrees with that must be deluded.

is this the best you can do?

If you say so Buddy.

You guys do know this is his OPINION right?
Opinions can be wrong, but maybe, just maybe, he feels those games are generic, as in, done to death.

And I just used too many commas.........

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

jarrod said:
theprof00 said:
Bamboleo said:

I wouldn't call ODST a full sequel.  It's more like GT5 Prologue in a weird way actually.

I just meant that ODST was not a "first" next-gen iteration. It was preceeded by Halo 3, and is followed by Reach. Although they are not sequels, there is already a next-gen Halo game prior to their release.

While a lot of sales come at a low price point, a lot of sales come early in a generation too.

So it is doubtful that all consoles have had at least four holiday seasons that we will see much movement in the order. The biggest problem is that it could never sway marginal PS2 owners from moving up. Initially the price was too high. Then the removal of backward compatibility removed any incentive a PS2 might have had to just buy the next system in the series (as opposed to buying another system or no system).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV