By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 will never catch the the 360 now. Wii won a long time ago.

nightsurge said:
I would like to comment on just a few points.

A) The 70% of console sales comes from sub $200 price tag applied to all previous generations. However what is very different this time around is the starting price was much higher and prices have dropped at a slower rate. Therefore it is very likely that this generation that percentage would be much lower. I also don't see the PS3 reaching a sub $200 price until late 2011 at the earliest and maybe not till 2012.

B) 360 slim rumors keep mounting big time. That means the 360 will be much cheaper to produce. They also skipped a year with no price cut. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new 360 design + price cut + Natal and big title games this fall to really give 360 a boost over this holiday.

Only thing I agree with is that the Wii has pretty much guaranteed first place.

A) this is true, very true, but there is something psychological about a 200$ pricepoint that turns a console into an impulse buy. It's easily affordable with one paycheck, and you can get a game or two + warranty on top of it, with spending money for the rest of the week. While I agree that the actual 70% may be lower this year, it is important to note that 300$ is a disadvantage.

Around the Network

i agree with the Wii winning this generation, but the other point that Sony can't catch up I think is a little premature

if this generation lasts longer than previous ones (which it looks like it will - at least for Sony and Microsoft) I think the PS3 has a chance of coming in second

However, one final point is that for the PS3 to come in second it has to make up all of its ground in Japan and Others - I think there is only a very very slim (it's practically 0) chance that it will ever catch up to the 360 in the Americas

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

theprof00 said:
jarrod said:
theprof00 said:
jarrod said:
theprof00 said:
Bamboleo said:
By generic games he may mean "not novelties" since GoW3 its not properly a new IP that can be a system seller.

And don't understimate the power of Gran Turismo 5, which is more system seller then Halo Reach.

yeah but gow3 and gt5 are all the first next-gen sequels. That is a big difference compared to the soon to be third halo 360 game.

I wouldn't call ODST a full sequel.  It's more like GT5 Prologue in a weird way actually.

I just meant that ODST was not a "first" next-gen iteration. It was preceeded by Halo 3, and is followed by Reach. Although they are not sequels, there is already a next-gen Halo game prior to their release.

Well, to be fair there are were "next-gen iterations" in GT5P and GOW Collection too.  GT5 and GOW3 won't be the first time either franchise has stepped foot on PS3.

Oh true, I forgot about gt5p. However, GoW3 is an actual next-gen game and the first of it's kind on the system. The other two are akin to PSN downloads. That's like saying ff13 isn't anything new because ff7 +8 are on PSN. Or the SMG isn't either etc etc. Better to be concise than broaden the meaning. GoW3 is the first of the franchise to be developed specifically for the next-gen system, unlike the newer halos. Happy? :P

I'd agree with that, but I still think ODST and GT5P sort of belong in their own "half game" corner. <3

You have to seriously wonder whether Sony and Microsoft are in this business to make money. All these price cuts to gain an edge over each other and for what? When does Sony plan to recoup all the money they lost with the PS3 (especially when their corporation as a whole is in the red) and when does MS plan on recouping all the money they spent on the Xbox brand?

Luckily I don`t own any Sony or Microsoft stock so I don`t have to care about this. I`d be pissed if I owned shares in these companies.

loves2splooge said:
You have to seriously wonder whether Sony and Microsoft are in this business to make money. All these price cuts to gain an edge over each other and for what? When does Sony plan to recoup all the money they lost with the PS3 (especially when their corporation as a whole is in the red) and when does MS plan on recouping all the money they spent on the Xbox brand?

I think both are now profiting, although it's a little hazy on the ps3 end whether they are making or still losing. The ps3's division made money.

Around the Network

@hammertime.

wii has won from business standpoint, but it has by far the lowest quality games. so as a gaming device its dead last

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Hammertime said:
erm....I think some people are taking my post a bit too seriously...it was just an opinion....I haven't actually killed anyone or supported terrorists or something like that. I like this site but boy o boy...some gamers seem to take games a bit too seriously.

Remember...it's just an opinion....if you don't like it then just take a chill pill and say why you disagree without having a heart attack.

No, dont take people finding a complete flaw in your rationalizatiion as taking things seriously. Dont post on a forum with terrible reasoning that condradicts your final point if you cant handle people calling you out on it. Its a forum, not a circle jerk, chief.

theprof00 said:
SaviorX said:

What exactly did he say that was wild? The only thing that didn't make sense to me were those two words, "generic games". That seems to be what people are up in arms over.

PS3 has played all their trump cards almost (slim, price reduction) and only have one left

as people who want these generic games already have a PS3

So basically the gap will not really change and we can see that as it is basically still about 6 million

The motion devices for both consoles will do little

most won't buy into it as the hardware did not come originally with the console

For the most part, I agree with him.

I think the only thing the PS3 has left to spur hardware significantly is Gran Turismo and maybe 1-3 price drops. With how Microsoft retaliates to things, they may also drop price or make a Slim to negate Sony's potential gains in marketshare.  He feels that people who wanted GOW3 and/or FF13 might have bought the console a long time ago, hence a lower than expected HW boost from either title. He probably doesn't believe they will somehow make the PS3 reach a higher plataeu in HW sales. Natal has a greater potential to boost HW than Move ever will, but with the 360 already being 5 years old the effect will not be that great.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

loves2splooge said:

Microsoft's fine, and they see Xbox strategically as a competitive floodwall to safeguard their Wintel empire.  As long as PlayStation exists, they'll keep pouring money in, profitable or not. And believe me, they have cash to spare and then some.

Sony's in a more precarious position, they're not near as financially sound as Microsoft and (before this gen) PlayStation was seen as one of their profit centers.  I think PS3 was planned as a trojan to help Blu-ray supplant DVD, but I also don't think they expected to sacrifice near this much in the process.  Plus they also had to dilute their ownership in Blu-ray significantly to get traction with parnters, to the point where they're not even the top license holder in the group anymore (Matsushitsa is, Sony's 2nd).  It's been a bit of pyrrhic victory for Sony, but I don't see them ever giving up either.

Really though, both Sony and Microsoft see their games businesses as proxies for media hubs and other content businesses, so they'll keep chipping away at it regardless of profit and because the end gain is so attractive.  The only hardware company that really seems to be in the industry primarily for the industry (ie: games) is Nintendo.  I miss Sega, Hudson and SNK. :/

Skeeuk said:
@hammertime.

wii has won from business standpoint, but it has by far the lowest quality games. so as a gaming device its dead last

That's up to personal preference. In terms of gaming time on consoles, it's like this for me: PS3, Wii, and then Xbox 360. That doesn't mean my 360 collects dust, no, I play it often on a weekly basis, but the fact is I prefer the Wii over the 360.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!