By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is in danger of losing it's fans

amp316 said:

My final point is this.  Sony fans like Sony.  Nintendo fans like Nintendo.  What Sony is doing reminds me of when Coca-Cola introduced New Coke because they were losing to Pepsi at the time.  They made Coke taste more like Pepsi and no one liked it.  People that liked Coke still wanted Coke and not Pepsi in a Coke can.  Sony is turning into the New Coke and will be in trouble unless they bring back Coca-Cola Classic.  

RolStoppable said:
The analogy to New Coke is fantastic.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No it isn't because it is incorrect in its grasping of what actually occurred. 

the fact is that Coke fans did like the taste of New Coke, and preferred it to both Pepsi and original Coke in blind taste tests.  the opposition to New Coke was that they pulled original Coke off the market, and consumers were angry they couldn't get the original anymore and thus boycotted New Coke to voice that.  unfortunately, the damage was done to New Coke and Coke could never recover it from that. this is one of the most basic branding case studies taught in intro Brand Management classes and isn't hard to grasp.  perhaps some of you should actually educate yourselves on these things before trying to use them, because the New Coke example actually contradicts what you are trying to assert.

the lesson learned from New Coke is that if Sony makes all games like Wii games and stops producing next-gen games, they will lose their fans, just like Coke did when it stopped providing original Coke.  But if Sony provides the same great Next Gen games alongside with Wii like games, just like Coke should have kept both formulas on the market, they won't lose fans.  That's what the New Coke example ACTUALLY proves.  way to defeat your own position.

I love it when people who don't know what they are talking about actually defeat their own argument.

Around the Network
strunge said:

amp316 said:

My final point is this.  Sony fans like Sony.  Nintendo fans like Nintendo.  What Sony is doing reminds me of when Coca-Cola introduced New Coke because they were losing to Pepsi at the time.  They made Coke taste more like Pepsi and no one liked it.  People that liked Coke still wanted Coke and not Pepsi in a Coke can.  Sony is turning into the New Coke and will be in trouble unless they bring back Coca-Cola Classic.  

RolStoppable said:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

the fact is that Coke fans did like the taste of New Coke, and preferred it to both Pepsi and original Coke in blind taste tests.  the opposition to New Coke was that they pulled original Coke off the market, and consumers were angry they couldn't get the original anymore and thus boycotted New Coke to voice that.  unfortunately, the damage was done to New Coke and Coke could never recover it from that. this is one of the most basic branding case studies taught in intro Brand Management classes and isn't hard to grasp.  perhaps some of you should actually educate yourselves on these things before trying to use them, because the New Coke example actually contradicts what you are trying to assert.

the lesson learned from New Coke is that if Sony makes all games like Wii games and stops producing next-gen games, they will lose their fans, just like Coke did when it stopped providing original Coke.  But if Sony provides the same great Next Gen games alongside with Wii like games, just like Coke should have kept both formulas on the market, they won't lose fans.  That's what the New Coke example ACTUALLY proves.  way to defeat your own position.

I love it when people who don't know what they are talking about actually defeat their own argument.

hell even coke made fun of themselves in cokeZero TV ad's over that very fact. they knew they screwed up. but they can laugh at that now.. good call.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

As long as Sony is constant with quality first and third party titles for the PS3 with Move or without it thats all that matters. I don't want to wait a month or two for a good game to come out and have to shuffle through crappy games to past the time.

GamerTag/PSN ID JoshmyersBV (please add me I have 2 friends on Xbox Live)

amp316 said:

I know what many of you are saying.  You're saying that amp316 is a Nintendo guy and he is just here to troll on Sony, but honestly that's not the case.  Hear me out and see if you agree with anything that I 'm saying because I am trying to bring up some valid and unbiased points.

First off, I would like to say that I do not have a negative attitude to Sony Move and the Subcontroller because they resemble the Wii Remote and the Nunchuck.  I understand that Sony is trying to use the best available technology out there and use it to their advantage.  Imitation happens.  This is true with every worthwile invention that's ever been.  If it weren't, only Ford would make cars.

What I think that the major problem is with Sony's direction is not the fact that they're embracing motion controls, but it's the way that they are doing it.  Let's just say that being a Wii owner, many of the games that they showed at their press conference look a bit TOO familiar.  I'll list a few:

The Shoot:  This is a light gun shooter and the Wii has several of those.  

Sports Champions:  It showed three events in the game which were archery, swordfighting, and  table tennis which looked similar to archery, swordfighting and table tennis that I have played on another system.

Motion Fighter:  This looks like Wii Boxing but with better graphics.

Move Party:  This involved odd looking minigames like blowing chickens into a basket with a fan and cutting and dying hair.  It reminded me of Wario Ware: Smooth Moves.

My point is that coming out with the same exact thing and putting a fresh coat of paint on it is insulting Sony's fan's intelligence in my opinion.  Also, as far as I know, most Sony fans don't like the Wii so why would they like any of these sort of games?  I don't think that they would.  Furthermore, if they think that they are going to take away the casual fan from the Wii they are sorely mistaken.  Nintendo already owns that audience.

Hows this. They need to start somewhere - why not where the market is strong?

mate you got some things wrong, Sony isn't insulting their fans because they will be making hardcore games for their fans which support the PS movie, like Socom 4, as well as traditional games, the games you refer to are for the casuals who have yet to buy a PS3.

If you look at the past, Sony's strategy has always been, appeal to the hard core 1st, reduce the prices till it hits mass market, then start appeling to the casuals, essentially that's what their doing now.

Around the Network

Only way Sony loses fans is if the price point for Move is outrageous.

Just want to play good games

stop with these bs threads already. move party is similar to the games you got in playstation eye, so im guessing wario ware copied playstation eye huh?? oh but you wont admit that right?? motion fighter copied of of wii boxing?? oh okay lets forget that fighting games existed before wii boxing not only that but there were boxing games that use motion boxing gloves before the wii!!! im not even going to bother saying more theres no getting to wii fans

This should not have any effect on current fans
is not like sony started producing wii-style games only.
Sony expanded their console a lot and trust me it won't lose but gain fans.
Just because there is eyepet or singstar does not mean it makes it less a reliable and hardcore gamer console.
Yes you are trolling and hating in here.

strunge said:

amp316 said:

RolStoppable said:

It doesn't really matter if you think that Coke, New Coke, or Pepsi tastes the best. 

All that matters is that it's all black soda and belongs to the same market.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I just can't figure out why you would copy the Wii.

Have they not heard the Wii is a gimmick and is doomed??????

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron