By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is in danger of losing it's fans

In all the time that Wii has been out I havn't seen a single third party game worth buying. Now maybe, maybe, there might be a third party motion control game worth it. Still I doubt it.

Sony would have been stupid to not try to do motion control and there are only so many ways to do motion control. MS chose one of the other ways, which I still think could flop on its face.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

well i think its a good idea. Exsisting PS3 owners who didnt want to spend all that money on a concept they may not like get to try it out on the PS3 for much cheaper and more superior. So really its a win win for a traditional Sony fan

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

I'm not sure how you would lose fan by embracing motion controls. Sony is just trying to tap the same market that Nintendo has. Does that mean Sony is abandoning it's core market group? Sony is just expanding it's market reach and trying to stem the Nintendo tide. Whether it'll be successful remains to be seen.

I think Nintendo fans are the only ones who are upset. This stuff hasn't even come out,  and Sony is giving many of us the games we bought the system for and more.

Yah, Sony copied Nintendo, but at least motion games are finally going to have HD graphics and that is why Natal and Move are superior for me. Settle down Nintendo boyz and enjoy your games.

Very unlikely. It's not like they're going to only make casual games now, this is basically just an add-on component to tap into the casual market. Good ideas get copied, deal with it.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
9009pc said:
r505Matt said:
9009pc said:

well they wont lose me.  i like advancement in gaming in all aspects because it improve my gaming experience.  whether it is user interface, graphics, physics, story and all the other directions for advancement.  the problem i had with the wii was that it only advancement was the interface everything else was still last gen imo. i still enjoyed playing it and never said anything bad about it except maybe about precision and some other things (never used motion+).  it had a great advantage the others didnt have.

oh and people saying about the price, and that it is a copy. there has been know price stated yet and i doubt it will go up to $500, $400 would probably be the most imo.  quite alot of the features have been copied from the wii and there no denying the similarity's that the games have, but there are video's of this tech being demonstrated on you tube going back as far as 2004, and the ps moveye (combined move and eye because i feel sony is missing the point) has the eye as well which was its original purpose, sony identified problems with the camera, like the need for buttons, it was also suppose to do alot more (eyedentify comes to mind).  it was suppose to do everything natal promises.  which is another point, albeit slightly of topic, sony showed respect to wii, were as peter molyneux and microsoft claims natal is new and revolutionary.

You doubt it will go to $500? I was talking about people who don't have a PS3 (since this is all about getting new customers), so it's $300 for the system, "under $100" for 1 controller and game and eye, but what about other controllers? I wouldn't be surprised if the starter pack is $99.99, though I'm actually guessing around $80. And for extra controller sets? It will almost definitely be over $500. People don't buy the Wii for a compelling single player experience (typically), they buy a Wii for a fun multiplayer/social experience.

Again, I don't think Sony will lose fans, but I also don't believe they will pull many in.

my reasoning for it not reaching $500 is that it is trying to get away from being to exspensive  and appealing to everyone (not just casual or hardcore) there its only does everything advertising was based around that point, building bridges and fading the lines and hoping the mainstream is in between.  my first paragraph was based on the thread were its about ps3 fans and we generally do care about a compelling single player experience. we generally care about a all rounded experience.

I hear what you're saying, but then the controller alone (without the subcontroller) would need to be under $40. 300 for the system, still guessing 80 for the starter set, and 40 for 3 more controllers (remember, this is about a social, multiplayer experience if Sony wants to bring in Wii owners). That already adds up $500, which is why I'm pretty sure for that whole set, it will be over $500. Then if you also NEED the subcontrollers, it's even more (though slightly).

And I completely agree, Sony fans typically adore a compelling single-player experience. I noticed that a long time ago.

joshin69 said:
Shanobi said:
joshin69 said:
Truth is how many Ps3 owners also own a wii, but never play it because it does (i'm not trying to offend) not have the good enough software

I have had a PS3 in my home for months, and it hasn't made me stop playing ANY of my Wii games. Your arguement about not having enough "good" software is a joke.

The last wii game you honestly spend over 300 hours on?

Brawl for me, but what's that have to do with anything? I'm pretty sure no one's played >300 hours of Uncharted 1, but that's a great game.

Honestly I'm all for this change. I already consolidated from the Wii, 360 and PS3 down to the Wii and PS3 (I sold the 360 and got a second PS3 so my wife and I can play co-op and have a blu ray on our 2nd TV).

The way I see it this more or less lets me consolidate further down to just the PS3. I like the motion controller of the Wii, but to be honest the graphics just grates on me. I looked at the Sony version of Wii Sports resort and even though its silly and shallow, that it looked....you know, good, made a big difference to my impression. I'm sick of playing a second rate version of Tiger Woods just so I can use motion.

I will lose out on the Nintendo games but I've kind of outgrown those I've found. I loved Mario 64 when it was new and I was...what...12 or something? I didn't even buy a PS1 until 97 when FFVII forced my hand, I was all about the N64 early on thanks largely to Nintendo games.

I tried to find the same joy in Mario Galaxy but I couldn't get much past the 4th or 5th stage without getting bored out of my mind (while I managed to play long enough for every last star in 64). I loved Metroid Prime 1 but found myself bored with 3...I haven't finished a full Zelda game since Link to the past and that game boy one where you are on that island from back in the 90s.

It probably isn't that the Nintendo games are bad, they still get great reviews. It's more that I find myself needing something more then just interesting game play to draw me in these days. Go rescue the princess because she's the princess and you're Mario just doesn't cut it to pique my interest anymore. I need crazy serial killer stories with intersecting plot lines that could be a david Lynch film like Heavy Rain or crazy Indiana Jones sequences like Uncharted 2. At the very least I need some competitive multiplayer without those god awful friend codes, I'm fine with putting kids in danger of meeting weirdos if it means I have a easy consistent way to get multiplayer going with voice.

The Wii was sort of the system I would play with people who don't otherwise play and would never pick up a traditional controller, I almost never played it alone (except to try and fail to play through galaxy, mario kart, Zelda ect). It looks like the PS3 will fill this gap, which is great for me since selling the Wii and accessories will cover all the Move controllers and a few games.

In short this is a win for Sony fans, not a loss. I'm glad they did it and think they will gain not lose share as a result.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

amp316 said:
kjj4t9rdad said:
I think the OP is missing the point of what Sony is doing. They are trying to attract new consumers by adding features to an already amazing system. As long as they still produce traditional controlled games they won't lose a single fan. There is nothing bad about adding a optional feature. If I don't like the Move, I don't have to buy it, I don't have that choice with the Wii.

And if you and most other Sony fans don't buy Move, how much more money is that that Sony flushed down the toilet?

You're flip-flopping here.

You argument was about alienating fans. Now you say that even though it won't alienate fans, it will bleed money?

To be honest, it may well bleed money, because I don't see it succeeding in its current state. But if I don't want Move (and believe me, from what I've seen, I don't), then I don't have to buy it. There's nothing to really get upset about. It would be a bit like people complaining about the ability to marry people of the same gender.

Ah, wait.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

amp316 said:

I know what many of you are saying.  You're saying that amp316 is a Nintendo guy and he is just here to troll on Sony, but honestly that's not the case.  Hear me out and see if you agree with anything that I 'm saying because I am trying to bring up some valid and unbiased points.

First off, I would like to say that I do not have a negative attitude to Sony Move and the Subcontroller because they resemble the Wii Remote and the Nunchuck.  I understand that Sony is trying to use the best available technology out there and use it to their advantage.  Imitation happens.  This is true with every worthwile invention that's ever been.  If it weren't, only Ford would make cars.

What I think that the major problem is with Sony's direction is not the fact that they're embracing motion controls, but it's the way that they are doing it.  Let's just say that being a Wii owner, many of the games that they showed at their press conference look a bit TOO familiar.  I'll list a few:

The Shoot:  This is a light gun shooter and the Wii has several of those.  

Sports Champions:  It showed three events in the game which were archery, swordfighting, and  table tennis which looked similar to archery, swordfighting and table tennis that I have played on another system.

Motion Fighter:  This looks like Wii Boxing but with better graphics.

Move Party:  This involved odd looking minigames like blowing chickens into a basket with a fan and cutting and dying hair.  It reminded me of Wario Ware: Smooth Moves.

My point is that coming out with the same exact thing and putting a fresh coat of paint on it is insulting Sony's fan's intelligence in my opinion.  Also, as far as I know, most Sony fans don't like the Wii so why would they like any of these sort of games?  I don't think that they would.  Furthermore, if they think that they are going to take away the casual fan from the Wii they are sorely mistaken.  Nintendo already owns that audience.

My final point is this.  Sony fans like Sony.  Nintendo fans like Nintendo.  What Sony is doing reminds me of when Coca-Cola introduced New Coke because they were losing to Pepsi at the time.  They made Coke taste more like Pepsi and no one liked it.  People that liked Coke still wanted Coke and not Pepsi in a Coke can.  Sony is turning into the New Coke and will be in trouble unless they bring back Coca-Cola Classic.  

I do agree on the Coke/New Coke vs Pepsi point.  I would say, though, that some people like Pepsi but need to have some cokes in the fridge for friends who don't.  That is more or less what this is.  I can talk my aging father into playing Wii bowling or Tiger Woods with the Wiimote but there's no way he's playing Uncharted 2.

I like PS3 games, I don't really like Wii games much but when I have certain friends over (or my younger cousins come over to visit) they do like Wii type games.  So I don't mind having Coke type casual motion Wii games as an add on for that purpose.  I seriously doubt that the PS3 will ever turn into the Wii with the casual centric games.  It will probably be a little subsection like games that use the classic controller are a subsection on the Wii.

I do think some Pepsi non casual games would actually be better with the motion controller though.  Heavy Rain, for instance, would probably have been well served to have a motion controller option, so its not useless for non casual games necesarily.  It expands the Sony brand if anything and gives core gamer types casual options without having to buy a seperate casual console.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me